Poll

When are you truly sorry when you say sorry?

1)Never. If you were sorry you woulden't have done it.
0 (0%)
2)Depends if you won't repeat your actions.
0 (0%)
3)Depends if you regret your actions.
2 (33.3%)
4)Both numbers 2 and 3.
4 (66.7%)
5) Other (please state).
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Use Of The Word "Sorry"  (Read 10552 times)

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Use Of The Word "Sorry"
« on: March 10, 2011, 12:42:40 PM »
so yeah, iv been having an ongoing debate with my best freind; like when you are truly sorry or when you mean it or if it has no meaning ect... i'd like feedback on this.

And i'd like us to debate the difference between the dictionary definition of 'sorry' versus the urban use of the word 'sorry'.

So please feel free to express your opinions :)
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Use Of The Word "Sorry"
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 11:58:47 PM »
I dont get it what do you want to know that when you say sorry does it mean any thing to the person you are saying it to. Either you mean it or you dont. The other person will either accept them or not. I deont really get what there is to argue about.  

Offline Hidiot

Use Of The Word "Sorry"
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 01:24:23 AM »
Not much to debate there, I agree. But "sorry" is not the only thing. Think about thanks, as well.

The better debate is on whether people are doing the right thing by using words and putting no meaning behind them, saying words just so they appease the receiver. Doing this decreases the value of words.
Then come two questions: How valuable do we want words to be and how far can we take honesty?
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Use Of The Word "Sorry"
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 05:55:10 PM »
you end up with the same thing. Its all about how it is received not given. Some one may give you a hollow thanks but if you take it as a thanks then it doesnt matter. youll never know the true intentions.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Use Of The Word "Sorry"
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 04:21:45 AM »
Personally, I see a "sorry" as an agreement that the situation won't come up again.  That's why I don't always accept appologies from people: I almost always end up in that same situation with them.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Use Of The Word "Sorry"
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 07:51:53 AM »
Personally, I see a "sorry" as an agreement that the situation won't come up again.  That's why I don't always accept appologies from people: I almost always end up in that same situation with them.
that right there is what im getting alot of.  
Most people in my life would vote # 2.
but if you look at the whole pucture youll see that is only the dictionary use of the word sorry.

however the urban use is slightly different; it consists of number 3.

so now you know there are infact two meanings of the word sorry, slightly different.

and they both apply at all times; both 2 and 3

if i see sombody pick # 1, good for you; your thinking just like my freind.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Hidiot

Use Of The Word "Sorry"
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 12:38:35 PM »
Your friend forgets that humans do not always have complete control over their actions. A strong desire can have only little support from a person's conscience or ration, but said conscience or ration is not always there to control the body adequately.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Use Of The Word "Sorry"
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 08:39:43 PM »
Well CK9 you refering to a thanks you are recieving thus the sorry maybe genuine but you wont accept it or you will make it hollow in your own view. Like I said its how its reveice not given. those people that say sorry might actually be no one knows but them. But due to same repeating pattern that happens the sorry from them has lost all meaning to you. Humans are beings of perception.

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
Use Of The Word "Sorry"
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 01:09:18 PM »
A lot of this depends on what you did in the first place as well..

No killing people and going "Oops, my bad, sorry"

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Use Of The Word "Sorry"
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 08:43:06 AM »
My freind says when people are truly sorry, they make a big long speech of how they are  truly sorry and why.... with alot of expression using slow words.

But when their not sorry they just go "ops, sorry." as if it weren't that big a deal...

I beleive this is somewhat true... but there are always more facters to consider (like the reasons above).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:43:35 AM by Lord Of Pain »

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
Use Of The Word "Sorry"
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 10:38:14 AM »
I think this topic has gone dead.

But It's still an interesting query LoP