Author Topic: Beware!  (Read 3254 times)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Beware!
« on: February 07, 2011, 06:26:27 PM »
If you've ever run into the ad that takes over your internet browser and pretends to be a virus scan, you know how annoying that can be.  Well, prepare to be even more annoyed, because it has been tweeked a bit.  Now, it puts an auto-loading executable into your temp folder.  By the time you realize it's there, you already have a rootkit hiding somewhere.

I ran into this the other night, and thought I had it taken care of right away.  Instead, in the process of trying to get rid of it my system restore files were trashed and eventually many of my system tools weren't functioning properly.

If you suddenly find a new symbol in your taskbar, manually shutdown your computer (don't let it save settings) and restart it in safemode.  Once safemode is loaded, purge the temp folder and run an antivirus that actually detects and removes rootkits.

I am having to reinstall my OS for the 5th time since I first got this computer  (thumbsdown)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:27:01 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Spikerocks101

Beware!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 06:46:56 PM »
Talking about the "Antivirus 2010" or what ever its called ad?
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Beware!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 07:31:49 PM »
I think that's the original ad, it makes it look like you opened my computer.

The new one that forced it's way was something like antivirus .net (with the space there)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 07:32:01 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Spikerocks101

Beware!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »
Well, don't be going to any "bad" sites at night then ;)
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Beware!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 01:16:25 AM »
I don't.  I'll be playing runescape (yes, I still play it :P) and need to look up some information (treasure trail coordinate locations, monster drop tables, etc.) and sometimes it's the wiki, other times it's one of the more reputable fan pages.

On the plus side, you computer never works quite as nicely as it does after a fresh install ^_^
CK9 in outpost

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Beware!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 05:43:16 PM »
If you use Firefox or Chrome, I would recommend installing the Adblock Plus extension/addon. I very very rarely see ads on the internet with that addon enabled. (which avoids the whole issues associated with ads getting clicked accidentally). It has made the experience of using the internet 1000 times more bearable.

Offline Sirbomber

Beware!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 07:43:23 PM »
Yes, but then it gets awkward when you tell people a particular site is clean and then it turns out to actually be a ME[size=0] [/size]S HA[size=0] [/size]L.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Beware!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 07:54:59 AM »
I'd better tell my mom how your instructions work so she can do it in the future. (Better safe and prepared than sorry).
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
Beware!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 11:32:13 AM »
MALWAREBYTES

OMFG is that software amazing.  Saved me from that twice.  I have mine set in the BIOS to when the sleep button is pressed on the main CPU, it shuts off, without saving setttings, and I boot into safe mode.

9967 things that Mac Affe and Sophos couldn't find malware bytes removed