Author Topic: Sierra's Rush Job  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Zhall

Sierra's Rush Job
« on: August 22, 2010, 08:18:21 PM »
Over the years ive heard and seen quite a few things that show that sierra rushed outpost 2.

1. Probably the most basic, if you simply install off the disk the radio buttons dont work for anything. Come on thats basic.

2. A third blight faction was going to build bases to attack you, instead of always EvP or PvE.

3. If you look into the art reader, there are extra frames for damaged while building rockets, dans dog, even santa claus. These were a waste of time, as they never showed up.

4. Skirmish was planned? That woulda been fun..

5.Anything else?
Pumping out awsome.

Offline Sirbomber

Sierra's Rush Job
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:31:22 PM »
1. Windows XP bug.  Worked just fine on Windows 95.
2. I've heard rumors about this kind of stuff, but never seen any concrete proof.
3. It's called unused content, easter eggs, and stuff leftover from beta versions.
4. I don't think so.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Flashy

Sierra's Rush Job
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 06:43:49 AM »
To 3, I have to say that Dans Dog is working correctly, I've seen him a million times in Op2 (Because Hooman found the conditions that trigger it and coded a dll to fulfil the conditions, look here for more info)
Praise the mighty light towers!!!

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Sierra's Rush Job
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 04:53:17 PM »
No question, the game was not finish when it was released. But that is not so much due to a missing third faction or skirmish mode. A game can be fun without those. Whats more disturbing is the dumb ai, and all the bugs (just look here, here and here. And then there is also the undestroyable-wall-thing and what not else ...)

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
Sierra's Rush Job
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 03:19:59 PM »
Not only was it rushed, but there was virtually no support for it either.

Isn't it interesting that when games (maybe not this one) get really interested with a fan base, producers suddenly stop releasing patches and new content for it. Happens all the time... its horrendous.

My biggest problems with the rushed effort for the game was these reasons:

1) No map editor/skirmish mode/ modify-able colony games. Hell even command&conquer released by Westwood had a map editor and skirmish mode. And it was released BEFORE Outpost 2.

2) Simple AI. The AI is quite predictable, and gets dull fighting them after playing it over and over again. In some ways this is good, because you can create a simple strategy that works over and over again. However its a problem when you go into an enemies' base destroy his command center, and then his second base doesn't send a ConVec to the first base and rebuild the command center.

3) Customized entry into a game. What I mean is that with Outpost 1, you could choose a variety of different settings to choose from that would affect your game when you finished choosing them. I thought that was a great system they had, and was surprised when they didnt add it to Outpost 2.

4) Difficulty between missions. Some missions were super-easy and others insanely hard. IE when you have to attack the enemies' base with a limited force.  
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Sierra's Rush Job
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 05:27:56 PM »
Here are some of my thoughts on this topic, since it's been discussed quite a bit throughout the years:

I heard that Dynamix eventually planned to release a map editor (though I can't remember where exactly, or whether there is even that much proof in support of this). What I do know is that in the pre-release demo, there are some "leftover" resources from some sort of internal map editor (to my knowledge, the map editor that Dynamix used was embedded within the game somehow, based on the stuff I saw there and from earlier conversations with some of the game's developers). I had heard that the map editor was fairly clunky to use and as such wouldn't have been something they would have wanted to release to the public. Since the game was rushed to begin with, extras like this would have been put on the back burner.

(I'm sure security could have been a concern as well, the missions are actually executable pieces of code and as such they could do things unrelated to the game, such as harming the user's computer), not to mention that the game itself has no built in mechanism for updating maps on a user's machine).

It's probably a similar situation with the game's AI; the game engine does not support a lot of things that an AI would need to be able to work with to function (at least out of the box; we hacked in a lot of stuff via new missions). In addition they probably had to strike a balance between quality of the AI/mission and releasing on time, as with all software.

Regarding the blight faction: I believe this was an idea for Stellarwave's Outpost 3, I was never aware of Dynamix bringing this into the Outpost series.

Unused content: this exists in every game, whether it be easter eggs or just something that couldn't be finished in time (I believe the damaged rockets are used as well if a spaceport gets damaged enough for its graphic to change when a rocket is being built/on the launch pad). As far as Santa goes, it's entirely possible that this is an easter egg we haven't discovered yet (there is another reference to santa in the game, an action type for units called SantaWalking, but no one to my knowledge has figured out what, if anything, can trigger the Santa animation).

Radio buttons: This is related to the change in XP where the underlines on UI elements for keyboard shortcuts get hidden until you press Alt. If you press alt while the game is running the yellow highlights will show up. This was never an issue on previous operating systems.

Skirmish mode: I'm not aware of this ever having been a planned feature.

Offline Sirbomber

Sierra's Rush Job
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:29:28 PM »
Isn't it interesting that when games (maybe not this one) get really interested with a fan base, producers suddenly stop releasing patches and new content for it. Happens all the time... its horrendous.
Yeah, that thing tends to happen when the company goes under.  Funny, really.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Sierra's Rush Job
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 12:53:23 AM »
As far as Santa goes, it's entirely possible that this is an easter egg we haven't discovered yet (there is another reference to santa in the game, an action type for units called SantaWalking, but no one to my knowledge has figured out what, if anything, can trigger the Santa animation).
I could have sworn someone here had a map in the file forum that would ALWAYS trigger the santa walking and dan's dog...
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Sierra's Rush Job
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 05:18:58 AM »
I think it was hooman sirbomber

Offline Sirbomber

Sierra's Rush Job
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 09:44:43 AM »
I think it was hooman sirbomber
That was CK9 Freeza.

And yeah, Hooman made a DLL that causes Dan's Dog to show up when you start the game.  No SantaWalking though.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Sierra's Rush Job
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 11:40:07 AM »
hmmm...must have mentioned it in the post then...probably saying he still couldn't identify the trigger...

anyone care to post the santa references in context?  I know you are all probably a lot better with it than me, but maybe another set of eyes can spot something that relates them together that was overlooked...
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
Sierra's Rush Job
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 09:19:17 PM »
I've always wondered what Dan's Dog looks like. Anyone have a screenshot?

Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline Hidiot

Sierra's Rush Job
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 02:44:49 AM »
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"