Author Topic: Netfix Client Source Released  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Netfix Client Source Released
« on: August 09, 2010, 02:48:18 AM »
I added the NetFix Client source code to the public SVN.

I'd been meaning to release that code for a while, but never quite got around to it. I had to dig through some SVN documentation to figure out how to dump it from my private repository and load it into the public one. I could have just checked in the current project, but that would have lost version history, which I didn't really want to do.

I've also added the op2ext project source as I've made some modifications to it. It's mostly written by BlackBox though. The changes I made were to support loading (permanent) addons through the INI file, such as the NetFix Client.

I also made some recent changes so it would still work if Outpost2.exe got relocated. That pretty much never happens though, unless you're loading a level DLL directly in a debugger, such as OllyDbg, and the usual address gets taken by a dummy exe file. This makes debugging slightly more pleasant (provided you disable NetFix, as that also causes startup crashes if Outpost2.exe is relocated).

Note that after I made the module loading modifications, some people said they had problems with the older /loadmod parameter. I believe Renegades was affected. If anyone wants to experiment to see if this is still an issue, feel free. It'd be particularly nice if the reason why it was an issue could be determined, or better yet, if someone can figure out how to fix it. Assuming it's still broken.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:37:38 AM »
Note that after I made the module loading modifications, some people said they had problems with the older /loadmod parameter. I believe Renegades was affected. If anyone wants to experiment to see if this is still an issue, feel free. It'd be particularly nice if the reason why it was an issue could be determined, or better yet, if someone can figure out how to fix it. Assuming it's still broken.
You made a fixed version, though you said that OP2 would crash on exit because of some memory cleanup stuff not working quite right. (Though it doesn't crash on Vista/7 at least, probably because of the rewritten memory management.) I'd assume the source you uploaded contains said fix.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 12:58:38 AM »
I honestly don't remember anymore, although some of that sounds vaguely familiar. I don't remember what the exact cause of the problem was, or even if I ever fully understood it. The recent changes to handle relocations was made maybe a week ago, and was never released. I can probably be rolled into the next update, if/when that ever happens.