Author Topic: Outpost 1 Download  (Read 3232 times)

Offline earthian

Outpost 1 Download
« on: July 25, 2010, 05:50:17 AM »
Hi,

I have downloaded Outpost 1. I have extracted it and I have two files: a ISO and BWT. I do not know what that BWT is, but when I tried to mount ISO to as a CD image it failed saying that this is not a ISO9660 format!

- What format it really is?

- Is it possible to have the download in ISO9660 format?

Thanks!

earthian

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
Outpost 1 Download
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:07:15 AM »
It may be a BlindWrite ISO; I'm not sure why it'd be provided in this format though. (Same way that I am not sure why the OP2 downloads are provided as RARs >>)

It has the potential to be converted, if you really need it, but I believe BW is free for writing purposes (to get you at least up and running).

The download really should be converted to a normal ISO file.. maybe if someone gets a chance to do so.

Offline earthian

Outpost 1 Download
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:59:51 AM »
It may be a BlindWrite ISO; I'm not sure why it'd be provided in this format though. (Same way that I am not sure why the OP2 downloads are provided as RARs >>)

It has the potential to be converted, if you really need it, but I believe BW is free for writing purposes (to get you at least up and running).

The download really should be converted to a normal ISO file.. maybe if someone gets a chance to do so.
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I am a Linux user so there is no way I can install a CD ripping/burning software without spending hours in making it to run with "fake" DLL libraries of Wine and there is no support for the so-called "BlindWrite ISO" in the FOSS community (I wish that company would name things correctly too, i.e. ISO is ISO9660 (the standard) and not some BlindISO or whateverISO :rolleyes:).

If somebody could convert the file to actual ISO i would really be grateful. Also I could host it free of charge on my own servers as a low usage and not-so-fast mirror. :)

Thanks again!

Regards,
earthian

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 1 Download
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 10:15:52 AM »
Well, you'll need to do the same to actually run OP1, so...
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline elwood_s

Outpost 1 Download
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 03:32:44 PM »
Hi earthian,

I downloaded the Outpost1.rar and extracted the Outpost.ISO file from it.   Everything I tried to do with the ISO file worked OK.  I was able to:
  • Open the Outpost.ISO image file with WinImage, view the contents and extract individual files.
  • Mount Outpost.ISO using Nero ImageDrive, access the virtual drive through Windows Explorer and run the Outpost 1 setup from the virtual drive.
  • Burn a CD from the Outpost.ISO image file using Prassi Ones, and then install Outpost 1 from that CD.
So as far as I can tell, it is a standard ISO image file.

When I get a little more time tomorrow, I'll make a new ISO from the CD I burned and post it for you to download.

Elwood
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:35:49 PM by elwood_s »

Offline earthian

Outpost 1 Download
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
Hi earthian,

I downloaded the Outpost1.rar and extracted the Outpost.ISO file from it.   Everything I tried to do with the ISO file worked OK.  I was able to:
  • Open the Outpost.ISO image file with WinImage, view the contents and extract individual files.
  • Mount Outpost.ISO using Nero ImageDrive, access the virtual drive through Windows Explorer and run the Outpost 1 setup from the virtual drive.
  • Burn a CD from the Outpost.ISO image file using Prassi Ones, and then install Outpost 1 from that CD.
So as far as I can tell, it is a standard ISO image file.

When I get a little more time tomorrow, I'll make a new ISO from the CD I burned and post it for you to download.

Elwood
Hi,

Please stop doing what ever you are doing with the ISO. As you mentioned in point number one where you was able to read the file with WinImage, i have done the same: I have installed WinImage and the opened the file. After then I simple went to "File->Convert image" and did the conversion. Now the file size is different (smaller) and I could use the new ISO. Please let me know if you would like to download it from me and host as official. :)

Thank you for your outstanding support!!!  (thumbsup)  (thumbsup)  (thumbsup)

Best Regards,
earthian

Offline elwood_s

Outpost 1 Download
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »
Glad to hear you got it going.  :)

It's a great game in it's own way, but quite different from Outpost 2.  A little buggy though.

I'd give it a try again myself, but both my desktops have LCD monitors that don't seem to support 256 color modes.    :(

Have fun.

Elwood