Author Topic: Content Contest Submissions  (Read 9771 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Content Contest Submissions
« on: July 01, 2010, 12:56:28 PM »
Please submit all entries to the Content Contest here.  Thank you.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Angellus Mortis

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 04:10:25 AM »
I will be bold and be the first to submit here.

Here is my submission. It is a colony game and I have gotten few bits of the code from BalckBox (briefing), Hidiot (2 functions) and Flashy (function ideas), but the vast majority is my own. It is also working fine now. I some slight build setting errors, but it is fine now.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 02:21:20 PM by angellus »

Offline AmIMeYet

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 03:16:52 PM »
This is my submission: OPPR [working title], for the Programming category.

You can download it here: http://github.com/AmIMeYet/OPPR (You'll probably want to go Download Source -> ZIP)
Also, be sure to have a look at the readme on the bottom of the page! (You'll probably want to run main.exe)

The 'game' is very incomplete, but I put quite a bit of effort in to it.
There's a good chance I'll finish it later though.

Offline Zardox Xheonov

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:34:42 AM »
this is the most updated version of the "OUTCASTERS STARSHIP"

it is a colony game... Enjoy yall!

Credits:
-Flashy==majority of programing and work effort (such as bug fixes functions triggers ect).
-Lordofpain (lop)== only mapper, minor programming (more noobish like object placement) idealist for objectives, presenter, credits lister and team leader.
-evecolonycommander (ecc)== only techtree editor, idealist for the secret hidden easteregg (wait past mark5000 to see).

-based on effort and contribution to this colony flashy is by far in first, lop secound, and ecc third...

if this does win any prize please split it between the three of us equally (if not equally then flashy gets higher odd number cuzz he did most work).
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 01:18:48 PM »
Final Scores

Angellus: The Mission v0.50
Type: Mission
Score: Disqualified
Let me start off by saying you scored pretty well on creativity for using MT2, which has never been done before really.  However, I wasn't happy to see that the AIs all used the color black, making them impossible to spot on the minimap.  Additionally, two mission objectives (have 2,000 colonists; have 400,000 common ore) make this map extremely unfun, earning you a low score already.  However, to hold 400,000 common ore you'd need 40 Common Ore Smelters, and to support 2,000 colonists you'd need a lot of Agridomes, Residences, Medical Centers, Rec Centers (if you're foolish enough to get them), etc.  You'd hit the structure limit eventually, making one of these objectives impossible to complete.  An unwinnable mission is an unplayable mission.  Entry disqualified.

Flashy, Evecolonycamander, Lord Of Pain: Outcasters Starship
Type: Mission + Map
Score: 22/100 (mission); 76/100 (map)
I'd like to start off with the map.  I thought the map itself was actually pretty good, but a bit bland.  There was too much open space and very little variation in terrain type.  Also, that random garbage spot in the middle of the map was an eyesore.  Other than that, you did a good job with it LOP.  Not quite on the level of Dynamix/CK9 maps, but you should feel proud of yourself.
Now, the mission.  As soon as I started playing I knew I was in trouble.  The base layout was even worse than a Dynamix base.  There was too much open space between structures.  Condense a bit.  Also, what was with the random structure kits in ConVecs?  Either have us start with a full base, or put everything in the ConVecs.  I also felt the AIs were a bit lackluster.  They didn't really seem to do much other than patrol wide-open terrain and guard their base.  I also felt the mission objectives could have been more descriptive.  Instead of "Scan the 4 light towers and rescue all scientists" (how many, by the way?) you could try splitting that up into several objectives ("Scan the Light Tower at 127, 123"; "Scan the Light Tower at 216, 41"; "Rescue the Scientists at 102, 17"; ...).  Also, you need to be careful with those disasters.  The first time I played an uberquake took out one of those objectives and I failed through no fault of my own.  This thing really needs work before I'd play it for more than a few minutes before getting bored.

AmIMeYet: OPPR
Type: Programming
Score: 66/100
Without really knowing what this is supposed to be, I can't say much.  There isn't much to do yet, and the UI only displays some debug info.  You're off to a good start, and this looks promising, but in its current condition the game isn't very impressive.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:14:51 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 02:15:09 PM »
AmIMeYet: OPPR
Type: Programming
Score: ???
I can't figure out how to download this, but I saw the YouTube video and it looked impressive.  Some more info about it would be appreciated.
Click the "download source" button near the top right area of the page. If you're using Firefox with the NoScript plugin (or similar), you'll need to add an exception for the page.

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 08:46:15 PM »
Heres a picture of it. Took me a while to find it at first.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 08:00:29 AM »
I was out of town about a week around August the 15th...

I haven't worked on my project since July, though. Since tomorrow I'm flying to Canada, not going to have a laptop for two-three weeks, probably not going to have time, the map will not be worked on for a while. Probably.

Of course, the project I'm talking about is Monopoly
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Drakmar

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 06:01:05 PM »
Here is a high quality icon I made for Outpost 2, based on a previous icon I made. The DVD Case used in the picture was not made by me, and credits belong to Jeno-Cyber on DeviantArt (http://jeno-cyber.deviantart.com/gallery/?7440737#/d20x2q5 <-- is the icon in question.)

I did make the scene, however. This may not be a valid submission, but I felt that I would share it nonetheless, as someone may enjoy using it.

There are 3 variations.

The first one has the PC CD-ROM stamp.

The second has a stamp indicating it's support for Windows and Wine.

The third uses the Classic Windows logo (Which I personally prefer over the logos used by XP+)

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 06:31:18 PM »
I did make the scene, however. This may not be a valid submission, but I felt that I would share it nonetheless, as someone may enjoy using it.
Well, it uses (modified) assets from Fenrisul... :P

Offline Drakmar

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 06:46:37 PM »
Yes, that too. I apologize for neglecting to credit him for that. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 08:04:40 PM »
I'm going to submit my entry for the content contest: Caught in the Crossfire II alpha. Gameplay-wise, there's still a lot of work to be done, particularly on the AIs, as well as balancing. Also, the AI code is Sirbomber's work, and as he's the judge, it wouldn't be proper for the entry to be judged based on it. What I'm really submitting it for is for the various hacks, code patches, and general code I made for the mission, including:
  • Highly modified Blight behavior. The Blight is now invisible until the Microbe Detection tech is researched. Infected tiles are now passable as well. In addition, vehicle infection works completely differently now. Rather than just blowing up upon infection, vehicles can live up to 100 marks at night time, and about ~5 marks during full daylight. If they leave infected terrain during this grace period, they will self-destruct (this behavior will need some tweaking as vehicles have a tendency to pathfind one tile outside of the Blight, which makes it annoying to deal with). After the grace period, vehicles will be transferred to an AI player. Infected combat vehicles will attack the player; other infected vehicles will attempt to leave the map. Infected vehicles that are unable to complete their current action will self-destruct after 250 marks (this is done in case infected vehicles get stuck, so they don't waste space in the unit array for the rest of the game). Infected vehicles do not spread the Blight at this point, but that may be subject to change.
  • Fully randomized resource (beacons, fumaroles, etc.) placement. The random placement is done per "section" of the map such that each section is guaranteed to receive at least a certain number of resources. All resources will only be placed where it is possible to build a mine/GeoCon on them. Most beacons and magma vents are placed only where at least two smelters can be built next to them. Other beacons are purposefully placed where no smelters can be built near them; however, they tend to be high-yield.
  • New method for handling beacon invisibility. This feature should be familiar to you from the original Caught in the Crossfire mission made by Mcshay. As before, scouts must "see" them within their sight range (upgrades are accounted for) in order to reveal them. Robo-surveyors can now discover beacons as well, although they are less efficient than scouts due to their speed and lack of sight range upgrade. Another new addition is that launching the EDWARD satellite will reveal all mining beacons. I have also made a patch so that, when a player launches EDWARD, the beacons will be surveyed for their allies so long as the alliance stays. Beacons revealed by a player will only be visible to that player and their allies so long as the alliance holds, rather than being revealed for all players. Beacons revealed by a player can be "revealed" again by their allies should they come within the sight range of one of their scouts or robo-surveyors, they survey them, or they build a mine on them; this is important if the alliance dissolves.
  • Earthworkers may now build walls right next to lava or infected tiles. The bug where earthworkers are unable to build walls in a 3x3 area around where another earthworker is already in the process of building a wall has been fixed. As a side effect of these changes, walls can be built right next to any structure as well. I'll need to come up with a way to fix that.
  • Earthworkers in the process of building walls are now invulnerable and cannot be EMP'ed. This stops the invisi-perma wall bug. Tube building behavior is unchanged.
  • Dual-turret panthers. After researching the appropriate tech, all panthers built afterwards will have dual turrets, like tigers do. This will need balance tweaking as it is currently making tigers redundant. This is based on source code posted by Hooman a long time ago, with a lot of modifications.
  • Allies' structure docks will no longer damage your units.
  • When the mission ends in a victory or failure, a cutscene is played, provided the player has the cutscene .avi files. The mission will not end in a victory if all other players quit, as it would normally do.
  • Having an active DIRT causes all structures connected to it to slowly regenerate HP. If the damage prevented is 25%, the structure will regen 4 HP/mark; if 17.75%, regen is 2 HP/mark, and if 12.5%, regen is 1 HP/mark.
  • Fixed the "food stores are plentiful" message bug.
  • Added a method that allows certain structures that would normally spontaneously explode to not do so. You can see this with the advanced lab where the Blight starts.
  • Evacuation module requires 400 colonists, and removes 400 colonists from your population when launched.
  • The HookHelper library I wrote. It's nothing complex like hooking libraries such as Detours are, it simply allows making all these code hooks and patches, and then undoing all of them when the mission ends, much easier. An older version of this was committed with the disasterless mod source code to the SVN a while back.
Source code relevant to the above things is included. (Yes, that means not all of the source code for the mission is there.) The OP2Units.h file was mostly BlackBox's work (though it used mostly information in the OllyDbg comment file and the internal data notes, both of which Hooman made either in part or fully). Some parts were scavenged from ForcedExports. The rest was either written by myself using Hooman's OllyDbg comments, his internal data notes, and a bit of my own reverse engineering work. More or less all of the included source code is dependent on HFL. You'll need to compile the version on the SVN which includes some fixes I made rather than the pre-compiled version BlackBox posted a while back.
Some of the source is a little messy. The whole thing is still a WIP, remember. Also, the random resources code was something I had written a couple years back and made some modifications to recently, so you'll probably find that that's the messiest. I think the OP2Types header files are somewhat messy and convoluted as well. This is actually why I've been interested in developing ForcedExports myself a bit lately.
You'll need Visual Studio 2005 or later to compile it. This is due to my use of __thiscall function declarations and pointers. It will not compile with Code::Blocks.

For the rest of you just trying it out, here's what's missing from the mission in terms of gameplay:
  • A working Plymouth AI. When it is completed, it will also have a resource base at the middle right area of the map; meaning, you won't be able to evacuate straight to there from the start in the final version.
  • "Proper" AIs. The AI code that is there, and that will be made for the Plymouth AI soonish (maybe), is just filler. A more elegant AI is slowly being worked on, but it's going, well, slowly.
  • Balancing and tweaking. The AIs need work. The Blight speed needs work. The rate at which the Blight destroys microbe walls needs work. A significant increase in the cost of all starship components is planned, but not implemented at all yet. I'm not fully happy with where Microbe Detection sits in the tech tree (for now, you can research it as soon as you build an advanced lab). Need to rebalance panthers and tigers due to the dual-turret panther tech. Etc.
  • I've planned a couple other code patches, but they are either not developed at all at this point or they are in their infancy.
  • And yes, I realize OP2's pathfinder doesn't like anything about this map. For the players, it's annoying. For the AIs, it tends to break them. I'm going to try and find a solution, but I doubt it will involve much in the way of changes to the map, as there'd have to be a lot, to the point where the mission would no longer play as intended.
  • May need to adjust lava paths.
  • Maybe some other small misc. things.
The gameplay is fairly similar to the original Caught in the Crossfire (CCF). The Blight starts at mark 20. You have until mark 300 to evacuate before your starting base gets infected. You should be researching all the basic lab techs during your 300 mark grace period. You'll need to use scouts (or robo-surveyors) to discover mining beacons until you have launched the EDWARD satellite. You'll have both the Blight and the AI (AIs later) to contend with as you are building a starship. The map is partitioned, unlike CCF's. You'll need to evacuate from partition to partition throughout the mission as the Blight spreads. Launching the Evacuation Module = victory.

Primary submission (again, this only involves the code patches and whatnot) credits:
Arklon.
Secondary credits:
BlackBox, Hooman - the OllyDbg comment file, internal data notes, parts of the OP2Types headers, HFL, original version of the dual-turret panther code which mine is based on, etc.

Mission credits:
Arklon - most code.
Sirbomber - AI code.
CK9, Arklon - map. (Mostly CK9, I just added details and changed some cliffs around.)
BlackBox, Hooman - same as above (OllyDbg, HFL, etc), although they didn't directly help with the mission.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 02:30:19 PM by Arklon »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 08:44:14 PM »
Guess I'll submit this too: the export table injection code I wrote for my modification of Forced Exports.
For information about the Forced Exports project, check its thread. As for ExportTableBuilder, essentially it replaces a exe or dll's original exports table (the entire .edata section, or what would be the .edata section) to include new custom entries. The new ".edata" section is created according to the Microsoft PE/COFF file format specification (with one exception: if there are forwarded exports, their string data won't be stored sorted in ascending alphabetical order anymore, however, this shouldn't make any difference, the string data could actually be stored in whichever order; the only thing that does need to be sorted is the array of exported names, which just contains RVAs into the string data). This circumvents the need for using a hacked MASM/NASM file that the original version of Forced Exports used, and this new method does not have its limitations.
The attached archive only includes ExportTableBuilder.cpp and ExportTableBuilder.h. The full source code of my version of Forced Exports is on the SVN. ExportTableBuilder is entirely my own work.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 02:29:59 PM by Arklon »

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 11:18:55 PM »
And yes, I realize OP2's pathfinder doesn't like anything about this map. For the players, it's annoying. For the AIs, it tends to break them. I'm going to try and find a solution, but I doubt it will involve much in the way of changes to the map, as there'd have to be a lot, to the point where the mission would no longer play as intended.
You mean wait until I get around to rewriting OP2's pathfinding algorithm.  :P

Anyways, I wanna see some of those hax included in the next OP2 update.  If it ever comes...

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 11:30:11 PM »
Oh, looks like I didn't read the fine print about when the contest ended specifically; I guess the extension confused me too, as a time wasn't given.. I was going to submit after I got out of work.. Ah well ^^'

My entry is the beginnings of an Outpost 2 art viewer/manipulator (called "Outpost 2 Art Resource Tool", or "OP2ART" for short). Currently you can only view and edit palettes, and only view images (not insert), but development for this is pretty easy and rapid.

It's written in VB.NET (there are fairly comprehensive converters if you're that picky >>')

The SVN source code repository is available here:
svn://outpost2.com/op2art (anon read-only)

And the compiled .NET assembly is available here:
http://outpost3.net/Outpost2ART.exe

It's released under the MIT license, so feel free to use it, improve it, steal it, sell it, or whatever else comes to your mind.

Enjoy, and don't mind the poor code; it was mainly written during my free time/over lunch at work, or late into the morning when I went on coding sprees.

Also, Known Issues:
-Little error handling for missing files and other filesystem errors
-Does not handle shadows
-Some images seem to mess up; these might be shadows
-Drawing needs to be optimized a bit more
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:47:57 PM by gpgarrettboast »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 02:47:24 PM »
Oh yes, I should mention this about the survtech.txt included in the CCF2 alpha: this is, in fact, a new version of the file. When playing any other survivor missions that use survtech.txt (which is, to say, any missions made by me, Sirbomber, and/or Mcshay), you will need to make sure everyone has the same survtech.txt (should be the one included with CCF2) or the game will desync.
Also remember, as it is a survivor mission, it shows up under the "space race" game type.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 03:18:31 PM by Arklon »

Offline AmIMeYet

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 02:30:54 PM »
I did some more work on my game a while back:

Download: http://github.com/AmIMeYet/OPPR/zipball/master
And if that fails, have a look around http://github.com/amimeyet/OPPR

By default, you'll want to run main.exe, but feel free to tinker around with the included sourcecode.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:36:21 PM by AmIMeYet »

Offline Flashy

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »
I'm a bit late now... But better late than never. It has now multiple AIs fighting each other... Your allied AI helps a little. Also, I don't use these buggy wreckage tiles anymore. Disasters are weaker. Base layout improved by LOP. Thanks to Blackbox, we're using prison complexes instead of light towers.

lop.zip

Hard seems freaking hard for me, but I'm not a professional. All these tigers attacking from different bases...

I didn't hear from Lop for quite a while and I didn't get ECC's tech files yet.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:40:53 PM by Flashy »
Praise the mighty light towers!!!