Author Topic: Pcw Ai Seems More Agressive On Normal Than Hard  (Read 2016 times)

Offline elwood_s

Pcw Ai Seems More Agressive On Normal Than Hard
« on: June 11, 2010, 03:24:23 PM »
Blackbox's original "Plymouth Cold War" colony game was virtually impossible to beat on any level except Easy.  I never managed to survive past ~ mark 500 on Normal and never tried it on Hard.  In spite of that I always it had potential, so recently I've been working on a modified version, trying to re-balance the game to make it a reasonable challenge on Normal, and very difficult but not impossible on Hard.  If you're interested, you can read about it and download my latest attempt here.

Anyway, in the process of testing my modded version I've run across an anomaly: The attacks that the AI launches when playing on "Hard" difficulty level come a lot more frequently than they ever do on Normal, but even at mark 800 the AI is still just sending one Micro-lynx at a time. On Normal level the AI starts out sending single Micro-lynxes, but around mark 220 starts adding Starflares and by mark 300 is sending Micro-Starflare-Stickyfoam attack groups.  

When I first noticed the phenomenon I assumed that it was something that I'd accidentally screwed up.  Then, after wasting more than a week trying to find my mistake, I decided to test the original "Plymouth Cold War" (the one that comes bundled with the OPU version of Outpost2), to find out how the AI is supposed to behave on Hard level.  I was surprised to find that the AI in the original behaves exactly as it does in my modded version.

So for those of you who've played "Plymouth Cold War" on Hard level in the past, my question is:

Is that the way this PCW has always played?  :blink:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:43:46 PM by elwood_s »

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 05:54:18 AM »
PCW was never fully finished and tweaked.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline evecolonycamander

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 09:55:17 PM »
out of curiosity why are all of the units tiger class. it gives me the feeling that Plymouth is just playing with me. witch is a uncomfortable feeling considering that a human player would just send two of them to wipe me out. also it makes no since to have it where the AI can not replace units early game
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline elwood_s

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:42:31 PM »
PCW was never fully finished and tweaked.
Yeah, I know.

I spent quite a while searching  the OPU forums, reading everything I could find about PCW.