Author Topic: Spelling  (Read 14902 times)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Spelling
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 10:53:43 AM »
Hooman is like a sponge: he soaks up the information and releases it for use at any time, heh

and yea, freeza, if you're going to try to make a point:
1) be less high school about it and more business presentation.  If your points are burried in rant and cursing, very few people will find/care
2) refrain from name-calling.  If you're insulting people, they will just go into defensive mode and ignore your points.
3) even if you try not to do something you speak against doing, the fact you do it still makes you a hypocrite.  This is not something to worry about, though.  Everyone is hypocritical about something.  All we can do is wrok to keep working at it until we get the best control over it that is possible.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Spelling
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 01:24:20 PM »
Ok here is what I want to see.

1.  All the links go in a thread by themselves. makes them easier to find instead of scouring this thread.
2.  All suggested link should be checked for viruses or spyware no need to bring dismay to our people. And to keep it family safe if possible make sure there aint any bad material viewable or other wise on the site dont ask what it would be. Just use some common sense.

But in Hoomans post about the misspelling of Area.  Do you see what I see. He was already aware that it was area.  He could have dropped it.  But instead he tryed to correct it.  I realize this is because he was making a point about the checkers.  But that is not always the case.  Personally if you can translate it and the word isnt completely off what it should be then just let it go.  I see no reason to cause a fuss about some thing that simple.

As for other things I wont post about them because its just pointless.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Spelling
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 01:33:25 PM »
It's easy to pass it by if there is a good reason for it or if it's a rare occurance.  However, if it's just that the person isn't putting in the effort to spell, then I have a hard time leaving it alone.  It's a lot like when something is said to be a pun when it isn't.  It doesn't really matter, but it irks me enough that I have to say something or else I will go insane over it.

However, I agree with your points.  If we expect these things to be used, we should make them easy to find and make sure they fit within our TOS before suggesting them.  Do you have any suggestions as to what all we should consider placing in this thread?  Should it just be spell checking tools/sites or should we include links to free translators that do a decent job?
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Spelling
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 01:54:17 PM »
yes of course. translators as well.

Now I have to say lets NOT enforce people use it but strongly suggest it. There shouldnt be a rule that says you need to use it or else. That would be just plan silly.

I say if that bothers you that much maybe you need for find a better outlet for that frustration. because that is just kinda silly getting all crazy over a bunch of mispelled words on a random forum post. just my thought on that.

Offline Simpsonboy77

Spelling
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2010, 10:53:45 PM »
Freeza, I downloaded the plugin, and scanned it with Avast and MBAM. Neither found anything with the latest updates.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline AmIMeYet

Spelling
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 05:26:21 AM »
I'm not a native English speaker, but I try very hard to correct all my spelling and grammar mistakes. In fact, I probably hit 'preview post' about 7 times before actually posting something. (This post was previewed and edited 6 times, but I know that's a bit excessive for such a small post). I put a lot of effort into it. That's what makes it so frustrating if people that do know how to correctly speak English simply don't.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Spelling
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 05:44:01 AM »
Its great that you take the effort to do that And i know why it would be frustrating to see people misspell.  But at the same times this is also just text.  There isnt any way to really tell who is behind that computer with out asking and even then you dont know 100%. Which is why whining and complaining isnt the way to go about getting people to fix there spelling even if there is a way for them to do so.  There may be language barrier there may be a mental or physical impedance involved to. And as such there isnt a need to drag it out in public for all to see.  which is going to lead up to this. Let the admins/mods take care of the spelling issues we will see them and find out whats going on. There shouldnt be any vigilanties taking up the cause for great justice. This doesnt mean dont post links I mentioned in the last post I made. And if some one is still typing badly and we dont do any thing about then there is probably a good reason so dont worry about it.

Offline AmIMeYet

Spelling
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 11:48:17 AM »
[...] There may be language barrier there may be a mental or physical impedance involved to. And as such there isnt a need to drag it out in public for all to see. [...] And if some one is still typing badly and we dont do any thing about then there is probably a good reason so dont worry about it.
Ah, I get what you mean now. It is true that if someone has 'a disability' or whatever, they should be able to be a part of a community and not have to tell anyone. Anonymity is a quintessential part of the web. (That's my first ever use of the word 'quintessential'. I do hope I applied it correctly. Otherwise, replace with 'essential'.)

Offline Spikerocks101

Spelling
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 02:52:27 AM »
Were did we go wrong, where the hottest topic on the forums is spelling? -_-
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Spelling
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 09:21:35 AM »
Well, would could switch to grammer and I can have some fun with your posts :P
CK9 in outpost

Offline Kayedon

Spelling
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 06:04:41 PM »
Grammar*
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Spelling
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 06:49:41 PM »
see? I put a huge grammerical error with a spelling one, and kayedon points out only the spelling one :P
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:49:56 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost

Offline Sirbomber

Spelling
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 08:15:13 PM »
I've evolved to the point where my brain auto-corrects most "grammerical" errors.  Incidentally, WELK UM 2 TE H ME S HA L.  BLARY EUGH!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:57:39 PM by leeor_net »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Kayedon

Spelling
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »
see? I put a huge grammerical error with a spelling one, and kayedon points out only the spelling one :P
That was intentional. And I read past "would could" as "we could" because I saw the W and my brain auto-completed the word based upon the context. Does cause some problems, though. Anyways, something did look funny but the e is what I always look for.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Spelling
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 11:32:34 PM »
That was intentional. And I read past "would could" as "we could" because I saw the W and my brain auto-completed the word based upon the context. Does cause some problems, though. Anyways, something did look funny but the e is what I always look for.
Then you are lucky. I didn't understand this sentence and was wondering if it is some construct that I didn't learn, yet.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Spelling
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2010, 12:09:23 AM »
lol, I hard a hard time reading it too, and I typed it.  However, this kind of shows why spelling gets targeted more often than anything else.  Especially since kayedon and bomber tend to start it more often than everyone else :P
CK9 in outpost

Offline Kayedon

Spelling
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 12:16:59 AM »
lol, I hard a hard time reading it too, and I typed it.  However, this kind of shows why spelling gets targeted more often than anything else.  Especially since kayedon and bomber tend to start it more often than everyone else :P
Had a hard*
Just for you, TH300.

And sorry if I'm targeting, but TH300 is a perfect example right here of why proper or at least GOOD grammar/spelling is essential in this kind of community.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Spikerocks101

Spelling
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2010, 04:26:52 AM »
After figuring out you typed "would" instead of "we", I now wonder if you could take the pants of a person facing you, with out them noticing. CK9, you are a Grammar Nazi.

Oh, and btw, I think TH300 is a thousand times smarter then me, since he seems to read a sentence for each word, while I seem to read it as a whole.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hidiot

Spelling
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2010, 05:15:36 AM »
Or the world has lowered its standards enough to think it's preferable not to bother.

Uh, smart != intricate. Unless, of course, the use of intricacy was voluntary.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Spelling
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2010, 09:24:30 AM »
Spike is racist!  Calling me a Nazi!  I'm going to get all the most influential and annoying anti-hate groups on your ass!!!

(In case you can't tell, I'm joking around because I am of German descent).

edit: just feel like it :P
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:02:43 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hidiot

Spelling
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2010, 10:03:54 AM »
I was unaware that a doctrine could be equivalent to a race.

You being of German descent does not imply you joking around as the only possibility.

Long empty space in post feels spammei. (Obvious destruction of a word, intended)

Topic, where to?

Night poorly sleep... brain hurts.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Spelling
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2010, 12:05:37 PM »
right...so you'd rather drag on about the falicies in your interpretation skills while sleep deprived than just laugh about a joke?

Well, if noone else has anything to add, I'll close this later tonight.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Spelling
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2010, 12:13:02 PM »
alright i think we have come to a conclusion with this thread what do yall say.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:13:24 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Hidiot

Spelling
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2010, 12:20:28 PM »
My sense of humor is pretty limited. Also, you (as well as anyone, really) are always welcome to explain where I go wrong in my interpretations (via PM, preferably).

As for the topic of the... topic, namely spelling and its importance, I would like to know if there is a general consensus about the point where one is allowed to become upset about someone's (horrible) spelling.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Spelling
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2010, 12:38:56 PM »
I think the conclusion was that freeza thinks everyone who is doing the complaining is lame while those who do the complaining want the few people who show little effort in spelling to put forth the effort.  In the end, the thread was futile because humans as a species are inherently stubborn against changing their ideals.

Or to put it simply, we've agreed to disagree
CK9 in outpost