Author Topic: 5p, Srv, 'dangerzone'  (Read 53205 times)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
5p, Srv, 'dangerzone'
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2010, 01:25:16 AM »
Oh, and in addition, due to the severe lack of rare ore on the map, tiger and reinforced panther construction require rare ore processing instead of reinforced vehicle construction. The description has been altered a little bit to avoid consistency problems. If you've got problems with it, tell me and i'll remove it again
I can understand this change, but I am against changes to the original part of the tech-tree. The dependencies are there for a reason, and if its only a scientific reason. And even more important: I want to play op2 as I got to know it for years. If something is changed in single maps, it will confuse me and may take some fun away from playing the game.

And clearly: if I got far enough to build a rare mine and smelter, loose those again and can't rebuild immediately, I usually lost, because time is limited.

Offline Flashy

5p, Srv, 'dangerzone'
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2010, 07:47:43 AM »
Change deleted
Praise the mighty light towers!!!

Offline Sirbomber

5p, Srv, 'dangerzone'
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2010, 07:55:43 AM »
I want to play op2 as I got to know it for years. If something is changed in single maps, it will confuse me and may take some fun away from playing the game.
One tiny change to the techtree's gonna ruin it for ya?  Seriously?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
5p, Srv, 'dangerzone'
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2010, 10:58:21 AM »
Oh, and in addition, due to the severe lack of rare ore on the map, tiger and reinforced panther construction require rare ore processing instead of reinforced vehicle construction. The description has been altered a little bit to avoid consistency problems. If you've got problems with it, tell me and i'll remove it again
I can understand this change, but I am against changes to the original part of the tech-tree. The dependencies are there for a reason, and if its only a scientific reason. And even more important: I want to play op2 as I got to know it for years. If something is changed in single maps, it will confuse me and may take some fun away from playing the game.

And clearly: if I got far enough to build a rare mine and smelter, loose those again and can't rebuild immediately, I usually lost, because time is limited.
With Reinforced Vehicle Construction, you can replace the "usually" with "always". I always thought the way that tech worked was pretty dumb. The vehicle HP boost it gives makes a negligible difference, and at the same time it adds that rare ore cost to some of your most essential vehicles (mainly cargo trucks and ConVecs), which means that, if you don't have rare ore, you're screwed, because for some reason your VFs can no longer use the schematic for the older versions of those vehicles that don't require rare ore...?

Offline Flashy

5p, Srv, 'dangerzone'
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »
That always annoyed me. I hate to be dependent on something, so whenever I can avoid it, I never research reinforced vehicle construction...If only this tech would be somehow different, for example not adding rare cost, but not as much health as now...

Something like this:
cargo truck: raised common ore cost, slight hp boost
Convec: the same as truck
evacuation transport: raised common and rare ore cost, normal hp boost

EDIT: I actually like the evacuation transport hp boost
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:45:36 PM by Flashy »

Offline TH300

5p, Srv, 'dangerzone'
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2010, 05:25:45 PM »
I also don't like it particularly, how I depend on rare ore after researching reinforced vehicle construction. One might indeed expect that the old blueprints are still there. But thats just one of the parts where the programmers of op2 traded realism for easier programming of the game. Of course there ought to be two kinds of cargo trucks after doing this research, but obviously the programmers were too lazy and didn't want to implement different stats for the same unit type.

Nontheless I got used to it and it makes the game more interesting, because I can't just rush for tigers as fast as possible. - I have to care about a secure rare ore 'income' first. And thats good, because op2 is rushy enough already.

Offline Flashy

5p, Srv, 'dangerzone'
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2010, 07:30:44 AM »
Post 1)
Rushy... I read a review of OP2 one day, where op2 was described as a very slow game, where the player is an observer and you can read a book while playing,,, that sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Seeing how you need every second you can get in this game... in multiplayer and the campaign (on hard, middle)
~~~~~~~~~
Post 2)
0.17 has been tested and worked. That silly scout that was created on the other side of the planet now spawns at the right position and i added a few mountain like cliffs with some good beacons, of course not very far away from the blight spawn point
~~~~~~~~~
Post 3)
After long, difficult research, i was able to isolate the core problem which led to creating a situation where researching the microbe wall durability was no longer possible. I accidentally removed SetUpWallTech() during some tests.
Fixed in 0.17.2
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:58:49 PM by Flashy »

Offline TH300

5p, Srv, 'dangerzone'
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2011, 06:10:52 PM »
I like how we can't move over the whole map when playing with low res. Relocating is part of op2 and its good that its in dangerzone. But to make it work, people need ore near the starting location, at least 2 bar. A base without ore won't be able to relocate.

Offline stillhere

5p, Srv, 'dangerzone'
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2011, 12:50:23 PM »
well i finally beat the ai by myself yesterday and made a starship and sent 200 ppl to space, but the problem is i didnt "technically" beat the level because the child evacuation transport never appeared.  though that might have been because i had annihilated the entire base.  but then mission objectives didnt say i needed to protect one until after i launched the pheonix module which at that point the blight and i had overrun all the ai's other bases so nothing was getting rebuilt.

i also found a piece of wrekage but i didnt notice any change when i got it.

As for a possible story line reason why you need to destroy the cc first before launching: i just pretended that Eden had modded their meteor defense's to shoot down any of your outgoing SULV launches (i played as plymouth) and they were being controlled from that particular cc.  and so for all the annoyance that brought i just left their children to die in that evacuation transport.  why would i save them after all the crap they caused?

on a side note i loved the super massive army Eden has.  i had made ten vehicle factories just south east of their main base and it was just a massive all out war with a constant stream of reinforcements from both sides till i finally pushed in far enough to take out their factories and smelters.  *wish the campaign ai was like this

Offline Flashy

5p, Srv, 'dangerzone'
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2011, 02:56:05 PM »
Strange, I got reports from other people about the ET not appearing. Maybe I've added a fix to v0.17.3 (which is released now). If it still doesn't appear, you can enter /FORCE into the chat to force it to appear (Doesn't work if it's already active). If destroyed, it becomes recreated. It normaly appears under following conditions:
-A player has the common metals cargo in space
-The same player has the rare metals cargo in space
-The same player has the food cargo in space

It can take a while for the ET to arrive, and you may not see it the first minute.