Author Topic: Black Holes  (Read 30126 times)

Offline evecolonycamander

Black Holes
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:27:35 AM »
Before i get into the arguements I KNOW are going to follow this post, I would like to warn you that this stuff is HIGHLY theoretical and that I of couse will defend my theroys nonstop. thanks

Now for the subject matter: What Are Black Holes, what is it like to be inside one(asuming by some miracle you can survive and escape), and lastly what about the idea of a white hole (gravity in reverse)?

CK edit: the grammer and spelling were getting to me too much
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:44:38 AM by CK9 »
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Sirbomber

Black Holes
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:03:56 PM »
CK edit: the grammer and spelling were getting to me too much
Ah, that explains why it was so lucid.  Much appreciated.

Regardless:

BLARARARARARUGHUGH

EDIT (leeor_net): edited download link to make it clear it's no longer active
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 06:53:56 AM by leeor_net »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Black Holes
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:05:17 PM »
Now this is a fun topic.

Okay first thing's first: black holes are a FACT and are accepted as such by physicists and cosmologists alike.  In fact, the #1 person to speak to about black holes is none other than cosmologist Steven Hawking.

Now, according to scientific knowledge, a black hole is the result of the death of a super-massive star.  It got to the point at which its gravity overpowered the nuclear energy it produced, and all of its mass colapsed towards the center.  Black holes give physicists a hadache because the gravitational force is near infinite, and causes the laws that govern physics as we know it to be invalid.

I would imagine the inside of the event horizon of a black hole would be somewhat viewable, as super-small black holes glow.  This glowing seems to imply that, while light can't escape the gravitational pull, it isn't destroyed.  At the center, you would see a super-dense sphere of "matter" (though, it wouldn't be matter as we conventionally think of it).  Some theories even go as far as to suggest that black holes create a bridge between universes, though we are unlikely to ever know the truth.

Based on the cycling of the natural world, I have come to theorize that black holes are much like the universe before the big bang.  To be more specific, I think it's a continuing cycle where (nearly) all black holes eventually condense into one super-massive black hole, get to the point where the mass is forced to revert back to energy, and the universe begins anew.  Though, I doubt this theory will ever get its chance to be tested.

A white hole isn't really gravity in reverse.  In many theories, it is the answer to a black hole: all the matter that gets sucked in gets spewed back out.  While this is an interesting concept, I personally don't view it as a plausible object.  Why?  Well, if everything a black hole took in came out, they wouldn't get bigger.  However, smaller black holes can combine to become larger ones, therefore we know the matter is not coming back out.  The closest things I know of to the concept of a white hole are pulsars and gamma-ray bursts.  In both cases, energy is being spewed out of a stellar body.  With pulsars, it's a neutron star emitting beams of EM radiation.  Gamma-ray bursts, on the other hand, occur during the collapse of massive stars and can be thrown out by black holes.  However, neither case can classify as the defininbg example of the white hole object.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Black Holes
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 02:45:36 PM »
now is where i make things interesting, define what the big bang needed to be in order to happen. stumped. ya i know a wight hole by definition cant exist and a black hole is unexcapeable. do you see where i'm headed with this
-famous last words

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
now is where i make things interesting, define what the big bang needed to be in order to happen. stumped. ya i know a wight hole by definition cant exist and a black hole is unexcapeable. do you see where i'm headed with this
BLACK THEARY?

Black Holes
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 03:20:15 PM »
actually i had for gotten about my little(not so) episode of wormholes, so to answer your question, no
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

Black Holes
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 03:22:49 PM »
BLACK THEARY?
WHITE POW THEARY
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 03:28:14 PM »
now is where i make things interesting, define what the big bang needed to be in order to happen.
I already told you in my original post.  Do you know why a black hole emits a gamma-ray burst?  It is because it has taken in too much mass at once.  The mass reverts to energy, and is spewed out along the axis with the least resistance.  With that in mind, think about what might happen if supermassive black holes combine and react this way.  You start with a singularity and end up with a massive expansion of energy.  All in all, we are just a cycle within a cycle within a cycle.
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Black Holes
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 03:59:44 PM »
yes BUT how. NOTHING once it passes the swartzchild radius can return and White holes cant exist(so they say)
-famous last words

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 05:16:06 PM »
How what?  We know from the birth of a blackhole that it is not a 1-way trip.  In fact, the black hole forms at the center of the star and starts eating it from the inside.  however, the rate of mass flowing in proves to be too much and matter/energy is released, causing what is known as a hypernova...hmmm...that would be a fun mod to the supernova...hehehe
CK9 in outpost

Black Holes
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 06:01:08 PM »
it collapses on its self enlarging the Event horizon indefently. now what happens to the mass is that it is partially turned into energy of which some of it escapes right before it crosses the event horizon. correct?
-famous last words

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »
no, it went in, but there is a limit to how fast the blackhole can grow, and the star is collapsing in too fast.  That's what casues the mass-ejection.
CK9 in outpost

Black Holes
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 06:24:41 PM »
or so you think... k think of an onion its layered and each layer has more mass then the last. so if it where a BH it would mean for in order for it to have its event horizon to spreed an extra AU it needs more matter then the last AU needed so it is forever growing... just slower and slower. dose this make seance?
-famous last words

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 06:57:27 PM »
no, not or so I think, so I know :P  You're discussing a topic I am quite familiar with because I watch the History and Discovery channels more than any others (so I've seen just about every Black Hole special that has been on).
CK9 in outpost

Offline Sirbomber

Black Holes
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 07:46:26 PM »
Stuff you most likely found on Wikipedia only moments before posting.
ECC:  Shut up.  Reading Wikipedia doesn't make you an expert.
CK9: Shut up.  Watching the Discovery channel doesn't make you an expert.

Black holes are stupid.  Stop beating [size=0]off[/size] the dead horse.

Black Holes
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 08:20:51 PM »
i dont use wiki, much. as for discovery/ history channels i do watch them often but also i am doing LITERAL research into it and am using every known recorce that i can(other then going to a singularly its self.) and i am using it to prove the idea of White holes, the stellar opposite of a black hole, witch i believe could be part of what explains the "Big Bang Theory". i also believe that the reason for objects to be both older then and farther then 14 billion years old/far (please correct the age as i have forgotten again) is that the BBT to have happened in shells or stages. but again it is HIGHLY THEORETICAL.

edit: im going to ask you nicely sirbomber that if you do not have any thing intelligent to say then don't post, please.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:22:44 PM by evecolonycamander »
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

Black Holes
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 08:31:40 PM »
edit: im going to ask you nicely sirbomber that if you do not have any thing intelligent to say then don't post, please.
I could say the same for you, except I did already:
ECC:  Shut up.  Reading Wikipedia doesn't make you an expert.
CK9: Shut up.  Watching the Discovery channel doesn't make you an expert.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:32:26 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Kayedon

Black Holes
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 08:32:03 PM »
What he said was completely intelligent, unlike most of what you're posting/posted.
Your latest post seems contradictory to what you've posted before. You state you are doing research, yet I see very little proof of research. The Discovery channel is a far better source than Wikipedia, but it still won't make you an expert. Neither will random Google searches if you can't spell half the words right.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Black Holes
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 08:59:21 PM »
Before i get into the arguements I KNOW are going to follow this post, I would like to warn you that this stuff is HIGHLY theoretical and that I of couse will defend my theroys nonstop. thanks
Told you all it would happen. also "Shut up" shows a complete lack of creativity thus showing unintelligibly...but im going to stop before this gets out of hand. now by any chance could fusion/fission occur inside of the singularity?
-famous last words

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 10:35:36 PM »
bomber, at what point did you get the impression I was saying I was an expert?  I merely stated that I know quite a bit about it, not nearly everything.  Putting words of grandure into my mouth will inly result negatively for you.  As to shutting up, screw you.  This is a forum section where open discussion of opinion on topics is encouraged.  You've been here long enough to where i shouldn't have to explain that to you.

If I seem rude at all, I don't really care that much right now 'cause I just woke up fro a long nap.

edit: typing merely affected my spelling of nearly, lol
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:48:04 AM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost

Black Holes
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 07:22:44 AM »
so... can fusion/fission accure at the center of a BH
sorry bout spelling
-famous last words

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Black Holes
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 09:25:08 AM »
whoops, wrong button :/  Sorry bomber, went to hit quote and accidently deleted (second time this happened, first time was an awesome post by hooman)
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hidiot

Black Holes
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 09:27:33 AM »
You must do something about button placement then  :huh:  
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Black Holes
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 09:52:40 AM »
This is going to sound like spam but can fusion/fission accure at the center of a BH
sorry bout spelling
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

Black Holes
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 10:01:07 AM »
whoops, wrong button :/  Sorry bomber, went to hit quote and accidently deleted (second time this happened, first time was an awesome post by hooman)
Smooooth.  :rolleyes:

ECC: We heard you the first 45298 times.  The only thing that happens inside a black hole is swirling gravity-induced doom.