Author Topic: Outpost 2 Coding 202 Topics Discussion  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Coding 202 Topics Discussion
« on: April 20, 2010, 01:05:13 PM »
Hey everyone!

While I'm not quite ready to begin work on Coding 202, I have been thinking of some good topics for us to work on.  Here's a preliminary list.  Please tell me what you think and feel free to make some changes.  If you think of a really good topic you'd like to explore, post it here!  Suggestions about which of these topics would make a good starting point would be appreciated as well.

Outpost 2 Coding 202 Topics List (in no particular order):
-Variation, Adaptation, and Learning in AI
-Interaction and cooperation between multiple AIs and between AI and human players
-Campaign development
-Multiplayer campaigns
-Random map generation
-Basic Modding (file replacement)
-Advanced Modding (editing OP2's behavior with mod DLLs)
-General-purpose AI

I actually don't know much about most of these topics, so with luck maybe Hooman/BlackBox/etc. can give us some of the basic info we'll need to get started when the time comes.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Kayedon

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 05:09:30 PM »
Yes.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:19:02 AM »
Sirbomber, I suggest you (or some one else) compile your previous threads into a document and put it on the main page. Could be our first tutorial XD
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Simpsonboy77

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:26:29 AM »
Question on the general purpose AI.

Would you make it a build order script, or make it adaptive? By adaptive I mean "i keep running out of ore, let me saturate a mine more, if there are no mines, build a mine." AI is one specialties (not for OP2 though) so I'd be interested in helping. I was trying to make an AI that worked in that fashion on a simple map, but I haven't had much time.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 06:26:54 AM »
General purpose as in "I can just stick this onto any map and it will work just fine without me having to modify its code at all."
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline evecolonycamander

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 10:04:41 AM »
idea! make the ai send in reenforcements every time it loses biulding [X] from off map. so lets say you kill off your opponet and all that is left is the cc you kill it and then enemy reenforcments arive and build there bace again that way the chalange of survivl never dies
note: sorry no spell check
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 12:51:10 PM »
So you mean make it cheat even more than the default OP2 AI does, making the entire project completely pointless?

The goal of a general-purpose is to act as a stand-in for a human player; as such it must mimic the behavior of a human as closely as possible.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 01:33:06 PM »
Well, the 202 topic list seems fine, and we can cover the AI in detail when we get to that.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 12:05:39 PM »
Well, I guess we'll start with something easy.  Probably campaign development, since that would be a nice transition and refresher from Coding 101.

But it seems that most of you haven't actually done any of the 101 stuff due to lack of time.  I want people to finish those tutorials before I start 202 stuff.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 01:26:53 PM »
well, as much as I'd love to contribute, don't count me in with the people you're waiting on.  I'm not going to have a good ammount of free time for a long while.
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 01:45:21 PM »
Define "a long while" since I don't know who's interested and when they have free time available.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 08:52:37 PM »
let's see...this was week four of ten + finals...then I'm HOPING that I can get hired with a local engineering consultation company (but if I have time without a job I just know I'll be expected to be working on that every free second >.< )
CK9 in outpost