Author Topic: Vortex In No Disasters Game  (Read 8160 times)

Offline evecolonycamander

Vortex In No Disasters Game
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
i think fighter ran it to them as well, but he may have been referring to a multi game instead. hey fighter need you to send those screen shots still. and as for the editing of .dlls i wasn't.
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 04:11:22 PM »
I looked at the code and the disaster creation calls are fairly obviously guarded by checks if disasters are enabled. Further, if disasters are enabled, the type of disaster is random, so it won't always be the same type.

This sounds like either a bug or an exploit. This does seem quite possibly caused by something I know about. (And other people, hence why I asked who was playing). Although, I'd be surprised if that was really the case. Or maybe I should be more surprised if it was caused by something else I don't know about that is more random. Hmm, the lag comments are interesting.
IIRC, isn't there some weird way of producing a disaster even when there are obvious checks all over for disasters? (i.e. if disasters are never at any point created by the mission).

If I remember right there was some "debugging menu bar" that could be enabled, I believe somewhere in the TApp class it would process WM_COMMANDs and do certain things (I know disaster creation was one of the options). I wrote a tool to do a SetMenu() on the Dans_RULE_UIFrame window once and these indeed do function.

I do vaguely recall hearing about disasters being triggered by extremely unlikely (but not impossible) game conditions... I think it was in relation to an easter egg like Dan's Dog or something.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 08:17:59 PM »
That would be one evil easter egg...
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 09:40:21 PM »
Oh, and cheat codes that work in multiplayer aren't?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 11:16:57 PM »
Yes, I do recall some code for creating disasters that appeared to be debug related. There is also some unchecked code that can be abused that I know. I have activated disasters in "multiplayer" tests before using two copies on my local computer, although, whenever I tried to demonstrate it to anyone there was always a glitch that prevented it. I vaguely remember the game hanging, or sort of pausing.

So yes, hence why I find this topic interesting.