Author Topic: Eve Tek Tank  (Read 35832 times)

Offline evecolonycamander

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »
sorry bad memory some times
also i made another one of my famous tipos instead of lava i ment blight
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 07:06:37 PM by evecolonycamander »
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2010, 01:37:22 AM »
counteravting the blight is a bit iffy...maybe slow it down a bit
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hidiot

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2010, 02:35:41 AM »
Yeah, assuming nanotechnology appears only towards the end of the game, it would take more time to produce enough nanites to effectively stop the blight from entering a small area than it would take the blight to completely cover the planet.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2010, 03:22:02 AM »
stoping the blight with a nanite would be possible but then you would open a whole new can of worms with a cascade of nano machines i would think they would have learned there lesson the first time.  

As for making the scorpian more powerfull i would say only increase its range not its power they are way to easy to mass produce.  Give they cant survive but they can be massivly produced quickly.  And if add any thing else to them it should come at the cost of speed.  

repairing stuff is a great idea.  How ever dont limit it to just spiders eden has a great repair vec and there are still the convecs.

and as far as lava goes ya professor says lava is hot. even at a nano scale they will still have to deal with the tempetures.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2010, 06:16:07 AM »
Spiders + EMP works great on La Corr if you get the timing right.  Since you have a natural choke point, hitting the enemy right there tends to give you a decent capture, but you need a LOT of spiders to get as many as possible.
Then again, would a decent player send a huge army into that chokepoint without any protection ? I mean, the huge mass of spiders and presence of EMP Missiles should sort of indicate that your opponent might attempt to capture your units ?

(And since you have built so many units as Spiders, your army will be a lot weaker in terms of fire power. So if your opponent protects himself with MD's or a few lynx in the back to deal with the spiders, your gonna have a problem defending.)
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2010, 08:37:03 PM »
Spiders + EMP works great on La Corr if you get the timing right.  Since you have a natural choke point, hitting the enemy right there tends to give you a decent capture, but you need a LOT of spiders to get as many as possible.
Then again, would a decent player send a huge army into that chokepoint without any protection ? I mean, the huge mass of spiders and presence of EMP Missiles should sort of indicate that your opponent might attempt to capture your units ?

(And since you have built so many units as Spiders, your army will be a lot weaker in terms of fire power. So if your opponent protects himself with MD's or a few lynx in the back to deal with the spiders, your gonna have a problem defending.)
1) how are they going to get MD's near you without being destroyed/captured?
2) this is not meant as a use-by-itself tactic, unlike how your assumptions imply.
3) 'huge' is a bit of an exaggeration.  16 spiders is typically enough to capture a good portion of your opponents units.
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2010, 10:57:35 PM »
If they are smart, they wipe out the AI before mark and build up a forward base in the middle of La Corrida.

Otherwise you will just have to use the same strategy as you would use in any other game. Slowly expand under the cover of MD's until your in the enemy's base. Time consuming, but it works.

"huge" vs "a LOT" seems to differ in our personal definitions. - My point being: Any significant amount of spiders positioned close to any army will signify that the player might attempt to capture that army. Thus the opposing player will probably (and should) take counteractive measures.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2010, 09:27:14 AM »
I've never run into an opponent on la corr who built in the center.  In empty corners, yes.  Never the center...

In any case, the use of a "significant ammount" of spiders is mainly to delay attacks.  Your opponent sees the spiders, and decideds to build up first, giving you time to build up as well (possibly surpassing them in the process).  If they see it as a delay attempt, they will rush in and loose units.

All the talk of the MD's has me wondering if we fixed the exploit yet...
CK9 in outpost

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2010, 12:29:14 PM »
kinda off topic aint we.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2010, 12:32:12 PM »
it's related....kinda...okay, I messed up:p

anyway, nanites and spiders: making your enemy's army yours :P

CK9 in outpost

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2010, 01:22:53 PM »
Have you ever noticed how the blight cant pass over lava. im thinking on upgrading the lava wall systems to withstand those temps without dieing off so i can have a mission that requires you to make paths just for lava to block off the blight
-famous last words

Offline Kayedon

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »
It's tech, not tek. As in Technology.
And no you don't! You don't need a name for a tech that already exists!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:33:23 AM by Kayedon »
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2010, 01:30:39 PM »
tek is tech but as referd to the game Multitek.txt
edentek.txt
plytek.txt
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:31:13 PM by evecolonycamander »
-famous last words

Offline Hidiot

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2010, 01:50:17 PM »
Well, Kayedon is only half right in this instance.

You could just use the tech OP2 has for enabling lava walls (beware: you should not have both blight and lava walls enabled at the same time!)

Or, you could go figure something out, which is part of what you must do to bring your ideas to fruition. So he's right in the "get to it" part.

Why only half right? Apes are not the worst thing you could argue with.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:51:20 PM by Hidiot »
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2010, 12:51:49 AM »
tek is tech but as referd to the game Multitek.txt
edentek.txt
plytek.txt
These are abbreviations, you might notice that multitek.txt is an 8.3 filename.

Keep in mind that the game was released in 1997 (thus written before that date, not long after Windows 95 was released). 8.3 filenames were often used back then since a lot of tools did not preserve long file names (DOS itself, and tools used under DOS did not generally do this). Perhaps even the tools that were used to create VOLs themselves had these limitations. In any case "tek" is a phonetic abbreviation for "tech" which is of course short for "technology."

TL;DR Tek is an abbreviation they used to make the filename conform to the 8.3 standard, not how it's spelled in normal usage. Nor is your post about "tek vs tech" at all on track with the original question Kayedon asked.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2010, 02:07:09 AM »
yes i just deleted alot of posts here. Some people need to not get angry over some really pointless and stupid s***. really not tolerable. yes i mean you kayedon. if your going to complain dont do it in this thread.

ANY way.  Lava walls made to survive lava longer maybe but i really dont see it lasting much longer.  Lava is just to hot. And not even that it could over come the wall.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2010, 06:30:02 AM »
Would be sort of fun though.. Kill someone by destroying their lava walls :P

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2010, 09:22:39 AM »
thing is, if the wall were to withstand lava, only cuncussive damage would be able to destroy them...

a lava wall 5-7 tiles thick is capable of stopping MOST lava flows (I know from experience, don't ask me why it works)
CK9 in outpost

Offline Flashy

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2010, 10:36:58 AM »
thing is, if the wall were to withstand lava, only cuncussive damage would be able to destroy them...
And the earthworker.
Praise the mighty light towers!!!

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
well if you take the research from the magma refining project and adapt it to the walls then you have some strong stuff right there. i do have to say that in order to make this work i Will make costs of lava walls much higher. tell me if this makes sense or not
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:42:50 PM by evecolonycamander »
-famous last words

Offline Moley

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2010, 02:43:45 PM »
you mean deeper right? as in more rows next to each other? or as in physically higher like taller?
I HATE SPELLING!!!!!!
if i spell something or screw up grammer,
ignore it or tell me if you dont understand what i typed.

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2010, 02:44:54 PM »
you mean deeper right? as in more rows next to each other? or as in physically higher like taller?
sorry not fallowing  
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
well if you take the research from the magma refining project and adapt it to the walls then you have some strong stuff right there.
Magma Wells are an Eden-only technology.  Plymouth doesn't have access to that.

Besides, you're talking about taking something designed to control the flow of a very small flow of magma through a pipe.  That wouldn't have any practical adaptation to a wall designed to resist the flow of lava from a volcano on open terrain.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »
Wall actually to stop the blight you can ether use a blight wall or lava. the problem with the blight wall is it dosent stop lava and can easily be destroyed.
on the other hand lava walls stop lava:lava stops the blight : that means you live as long as those walls do. so my logic says have lava walls upgraded for it and be happy and SAFE*

[size=8]*safe as you can on new Terra[/size]
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2010, 04:21:36 PM »
Ah, so your strategy is to make Plymouth completely invulnerable and leave Eden to rot?

Way to break OP2's balance even more.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials