6 (17.6%)
Wreckage Gathering
12 (35.3%)
Mining Outpost
13 (38.2%)
Colony Raiding
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Worst Mission Type?  (Read 10064 times)

Offline Kayedon

Worst Mission Type?
« on: March 12, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »
This has probably already been done, but I just wanted to know what type of mission everyone hates the most.

So, for those that have forgotten, I'm speaking purely of the 11 campaign missions for each colony (I do not consider the first mission a true mission, because if you manage to fail that you really fail.)

Colony Building - Most missions. Get population, mine things, research. E2,3,5,8,10,12 | P2,3,5,8,11,12
Wreckage Gathering - Raid crash sites teeming with enemies and gather wreckage. I consider Eden 4 under this. E/P4,6,8
Mining Outpost - Sit in the middle of bloody nowhere being attacked from every direction and gather resources. Plymouth is allowed to research, too. E/P7
Colony Raiding - Pwn an enemy colony with whatever units you happen to be given. E11 | P10

Personally, I think colony raiding is the hardest but also the most fun. P10 has always been a pain in the arse for me. Wreckage gathering, on the other hand, is boring to me. Mostly just driving around picking off small squads and trying not to get swamped in the end.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Sirbomber

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 06:50:59 PM »
Actually, E1 is surprisingly difficult on Hard.  It doesn't help that you live in constant fear because you can't tell which structures will be infected next...

Anyways, mining missions are terrible.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:51:19 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:22:55 PM »
I agree with bomber.  I like all others
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 12:25:08 AM »
Mining missions suck. They were better when Dan's dog could still make more ore as they could be skipped that way, but Hooman stopped Dan's dog from making more ore.

Offline Spikerocks101

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 12:32:41 AM »
You could say he prevented the dogs from having ore-gasms *snikers*
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 12:36:10 AM »
*face palm*  that was an epicly bad pun, you pass your humor test :P
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 01:11:47 AM »
Ok, time to put Spikerocks101 on moderator preview. ;)

I think the wreckage gathering ones are the least fun once you know where the wreckage is. They seem to be the least replayable.

Offline Hidiot

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 02:01:16 AM »
Uh, the wreckage missions kind of randomize their wreckage sites (on Hard, and probably Normal too). It can sometimes happen that you get the wreckage in decent locations where you could avoid too many battles, whilst in other times, it's right next to the largest concentrations of enemy units or spawning points. I guess that if you play them a bazillion times, you'll have gone through all the possibilities, though.

Anyway P9 gave me the first ever chance to use a Supernova Tiger for anything other than plain silly fun, so wreckage gathering mission pass my check.

I'm not a big fan of colony missions, because I'm just all over the place. But, in the end, I guess they're not that bad.

Mining outposts. Yeah, I don't like those. Probably because dynamix likes to throw your ore everywhere except your colony site <_<. It wouldn't be so bad, if you had goals other than simply mining and defending...

Ah, the raiding missions. Personally I find those the hardest, but that's probably because I just can't finish P10 on Hard. E11 was a bit annoying, but at least Eden has the firepower to be able to hold back the obligatory swarming.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Kayedon

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 02:10:21 AM »
Uh, the wreckage missions kind of randomize their wreckage sites (on Hard, and probably Normal too). It can sometimes happen that you get the wreckage in decent locations where you could avoid too many battles, whilst in other times, it's right next to the largest concentrations of enemy units or spawning points. I guess that if you play them a bazillion times, you'll have gone through all the possibilities, though.

Anyway P9 gave me the first ever chance to use a Supernova Tiger for anything other than plain silly fun, so wreckage gathering mission pass my check.

I'm not a big fan of colony missions, because I'm just all over the place. But, in the end, I guess they're not that bad.

Mining outposts. Yeah, I don't like those. Probably because dynamix likes to throw your ore everywhere except your colony site <_<. It wouldn't be so bad, if you had goals other than simply mining and defending...

Ah, the raiding missions. Personally I find those the hardest, but that's probably because I just can't finish P10 on Hard. E11 was a bit annoying, but at least Eden has the firepower to be able to hold back the obligatory swarming.
Wreckage randomizes on normal and hard, hard is just... harder. :o
Assuming you -want- to play them a billion times, yeah, you could do that and memorize all (possible) locations and scout as you go.

Hmm, whatever did you use it for? Didn't P10 give you one too, or was that just a Supernova Panther?

I feel colony missions get a bit boring and are too linear, but the later ones are a bit fun. Kinda lame once research is done, since you're just *build. build. launch. build. defend. repair. check disaster area. mine. build. launch. build. etc.* for an hour.

I think Mining Outposts could have been done WAYYY better. I like the concept, but they chose such a bad idea. First off, I realize in the novella they were stated as being prisons, but for all intents and purposes let us say that these are ACTUAL outposts and not just criminal holding grounds. "Can't spare the funds for a structure factory?" How about the dozen ConVec's you sent there to set the place up?

Also, limiting where they come from so it's not "all around me" would've been nice. P7 does this better than E7 (although they do spawn next to the volcano in your base once or twice on hard). Maybe even a bit of a warning.

I can personally see a mix of colony building/outpost being good. Kind of like you're holding a position for a new colony but you need a new structure factory kid, so you have to defend until it gets there? Idk.

I think I beat P10 on Hard by SHEER LUCK. Once. Like two years ago.

Anyways, fantastic to see the replies rolling in. :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:10:36 AM by Kayedon »
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline evecolonycamander

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »
I think that the mining missions are the worst ESPECIALLY when you are told that the mother colony says"we can't afford the ore for a structure factory." and yet who is supplying the ore? You. now tell me that's not just bull. I promise I will NOT do any of those missions for Eve with out giving you a structure factory.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:49:35 PM by evecolonycamander »
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 02:54:41 PM »
Well, having no sf can be annoying, but also an interesting challenge. What I think is worse than all those mission types is repetition. And there's way too much repetition in the op2 campaigns for my taste.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 09:24:12 AM »
all games are repetitive, there aren't a lot of options for actions
CK9 in outpost

Offline Conestoga

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 08:25:21 AM »
My pet peeve is probably Colony Building and Mining Camps.

Nothing I      more then thinking I have all the structure kits and vehicles ready when all of a sudden, "NEW MISSION OBJECTIVE".

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

~Conestoga  :op2:  
Robert E. Lee - "Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret."

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 05:45:31 PM »
i agree with that Conestoga
-famous last words

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 02:14:42 PM »
I didn't like wreckage gathering or colony raiding missions... except P10, where you had a base and could build reinforcements.

I wish that you could have access to a small base of operations like the enemy while doing wreckage gathering missions! Maybe have a standard lab or something and do some research while you hunt... or gather resources while you hunt or... be able to repair damaged units?

Or for raiding missions, I wish that you could bring more units into the field, if you had built them in the previous mission eh? Like what happens to those units that survive the wreckage gathering missions or the raiding missions? Why not use them in your defense, but no they disappear entirely.

True I'm expecting a lot for a really old game, but Outpost 2 is one of the best RTSs out there, especially today. Personally I feel that a lot of RTSs these days are selling out their gameplay by giving superior graphics??? or by designing them for the casual gamer and telling the real gamer to f*** off eh?
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline Flashy

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 02:52:47 PM »
Mining outpost missions make me nervous. That remembers me of something that happend to me in colony builder eden starship on hard or medium. I wanted to organize big battles against the AI to learn more about combat. Suddenly, a vortex killed my structure factory... I was too lazy to build another one. Luckily I had all buildings I needed. Enough residences, medical center, solar power arrays, smelters, ccs, vfs, labs, a spaceport, a garage, much ore and a lot of gps and walls to defend my base. I decided to build a starship before the next disaster kills another vital building. I could destroy many attackwaves before some of my gps got destroyed(stupid emp missiles). In the end, i could launch the starship.
Praise the mighty light towers!!!

Offline Sirbomber

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 03:08:06 PM »
I didn't like wreckage gathering or colony raiding missions... except P10, where you had a base and could build reinforcements.
You don't get a base in Plymouth 10, or in any other "convoy" (unit-only) missions.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Kayedon

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 05:38:37 PM »
I believe he meant P12.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 12:20:47 PM »
Yes P12... forgot there was 12 missions and not 10... or.. the last plymouth mission where you have to capture the Eden RLV... THAT mission.

@Flashy Also, for an Eden Starship game, I had something similiar, but I was in worse straights afterward, a vortex appeared and smashed my common smelter before I could build a common storage (had a shortage of workers at the time)... so I had no resources and no kits in storage. I was doomed! Had plenty of defenders and such but no way to complete the mission objectives... if it was colony mission I may have still succeeded.. but no starship mission >.<
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline plymoth45

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 09:10:40 AM »
Thread resurrection! I would def have to say the mining outpost missions annoyed me the most. The aspect of having screwed up during just one raid then suddenly a critical building disappears was frustrating at times.

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »
Well tbh the mining missions i find are the most helpful. by going from those directly to MP you quickly realize what the bare minimals are and how you should try to defend them. though i admit, a human player will sit just out of your range and usually masses an army large enough to overwhelm you.
-famous last words

Offline plymoth45

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 01:24:02 PM »
That honostly depends on the player. I've played games like what you've described, and I've played games where its build a unit and get it into the fight right now or lose all together.

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 08:56:29 PM »
Agree with Conestaga, and

Meh, they all have pros and cons.  My pet peeve is the Mining missions, mostly because I end up going "War Machine" and am boned for getting the ores needed stored up at the end.  

Offline Tellaris

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 04:44:52 PM »
I actually liked the mining missions, Plymouth's anyway. It let me catch up on research if I had been neglecting in earlier missions, in favor of actually winning the game... Techs that where USEFUL, but I never did have the time to get. And stuff for the heck of it. Of course, this only REALLY matters on hard, med/easy it was not a concern.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:45:57 PM by Tellaris »
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Nightmare24148

Worst Mission Type?
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 10:48:02 PM »
Does E/P4 count as colony raiding? More like dead colony raiding

Either way, those must be the most fun imo...esp the whole 'going back to our old home' thing

I remember as a kid, I was disturbed because in Mission 1, it was only this tiny thing, and in 4, you see all this stuff you never built and you think evil computers are afoot XD
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.