Author Topic: Odd Vortex Behavior  (Read 2766 times)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Odd Vortex Behavior
« on: February 18, 2010, 03:02:51 PM »
I was going over Plymoth Campeigne mission 10 in my head a couple seconds ago and I realised something rather odd.  Sometime early on, you get a vortex east of your AL.  Every time I've played the map, when the vortex appears, it would start heading towards the lab, and I would disable it.  Once I disabled the lab, the vortex headed in the other direction.  If I re-activated the lab, the vortex started heading back towards it.  If I didn't the vortex didn't go near it again.  Is this just some odd coincidence, or something coded into the mission?

Also, anyone else notice this, or is it only on my computers?
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

Odd Vortex Behavior
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 04:20:42 PM »
Yes, on Hard especially, Dynamix loved the idea of heat-seeking disasters.

Edit: For me, it would move towards the Lab, then turn and take out either my Spaceport or one of my Smelters.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:21:08 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Odd Vortex Behavior
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 05:27:49 PM »
We should make some sort of vortex vally map.
The vortexes will roam the center of the map nonstop and have that heat-seaking code implemented in them. Think of it as a hazardes area on the map.  :evil laugh:  
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Odd Vortex Behavior
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 12:14:31 AM »
This shouldn't be possible. The vortex creation function won't allow changing of the vortex' direction after it spawned. Maybe there is some hidden interface for doing it, but we'd still have to find that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 12:14:51 AM by TH300 »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Odd Vortex Behavior
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 12:17:33 AM »
Hmm, interesting. I suspect it may just be a coincidence, since I don't recall any interface to target a vortex like that. Mind you, I have made targetting vortexes before, but it was using some pretty sick memory hacks. Maybe it's something simple we've overlooked, like telling the vortex unit to "move" to a certain location.

How repeatable is this?

Offline Angellus Mortis

Odd Vortex Behavior
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:45:03 AM »
Hmm, interesting. I suspect it may just be a coincidence, since I don't recall any interface to target a vortex like that. Mind you, I have made targetting vortexes before, but it was using some pretty sick memory hacks. Maybe it's something simple we've overlooked, like telling the vortex unit to "move" to a certain location.

How repeatable is this?
I know how you would. I did it on my colony with a quake. I enumerated for a CC (the first one) and centered it there. For that, you probably would do that then check for .isLive() and that would cause to head towards. I do not know. Something like that.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Odd Vortex Behavior
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:28:48 AM »
seeing as it happened every time I played that mission and that other people seem to have noticed it, pretty repeatable.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Kayedon

Odd Vortex Behavior
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 08:19:34 PM »
I too have noticed this, on any difficulty. Although, I will be completely honest, I haven't played in ages.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
Odd Vortex Behavior
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 02:20:35 AM »
Heat seeking tornados... You have to wonder what those scientists are doing to anger a tornado... That is of course if the tornado had feelings.
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline Sirbomber

Odd Vortex Behavior
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 09:01:50 AM »
Has anyone tried setting a Vortex's destination to some variable and changing it after the vortex has been created?

I doubt that would work, but if it does... :evil laugh:
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Angellus Mortis

Odd Vortex Behavior
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
Has anyone tried setting a Vortex's destination to some variable and changing it after the vortex has been created?

I doubt that would work, but if it does... :evil laugh:
I believe you can. When I get around to it, I was going to work on it for the hard difficultly on my colony. I was thinking, it would actually probably just be a vortex that always respawns after it gets to it destination.

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Odd Vortex Behavior
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 02:07:10 PM »
Alsome! i can't wait to fling sirbomber into outerspace.... :evil laugh:

And that would  :stop: his colony every time i pushed the big red button on my keyboard.  :evil laugh:  :evil laugh:  :evil laugh:  
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)