Author Topic: Trouble With Playing  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Webstral

Trouble With Playing
« on: December 21, 2009, 12:39:55 AM »
I bought an Outpost CD on Ebay a while ago and had no luck getting started.  I thought I'd go online for some help and found this great-looking forum.  My problem doesn't seem to match anything I've seen described.  I get as far as the Do You Want to Load question and no further.  If I hit Yes, the window disappears, I get an electronic trumpet fanfare, and then nothing.  Nothing.  The same thing happens even when I have copied all of the files from the CD to my hard drive.  Any help anyone can give will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Webstral

Offline Simpsonboy77

Trouble With Playing
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 01:07:13 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forums.

I cannot find my OP2 cd right now, so I'm not exactly sure where the installation is failing. If you can post a screenshot or 2, we could help you a lot faster.

On this board we use a patched version of the game, to disable cheats, and facilitate playing online. If you click here and download Outpost 2 - 1.3.4 R2 (3rd from the top), and then run the .exe it should install. Then you must upgrade to Outpost 2 - 1.3.5 Beta 2. This is easily accomplished by extracting the Outpost 2 - 1.3.5 Beta 2 .rar file (download winrar if you can't open the .rar file) and overwriting the contents of the outpost directory.

If you want the music and menu music, you can rip it from the cd. Just drag op2.clm and music1.wav into the outpost directory. The default outpost directory is C:\Program Files\Outpost 2 Divided Destiny.

So sorry to say, you didn't need the cd, although its a cool collector's item.

Ninja edit: I found my cd, and I ran through the installation. I am not sure what part you are talking about
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 01:18:13 AM by Simpsonboy77 »
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Trouble With Playing
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 02:13:49 AM »
I have a feeling he's talking about Outpost 1.

If that's the case, then I don't really know anything.

Offline Sirbomber

Trouble With Playing
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 07:35:47 AM »
Getting OP1(.5) to work on a modern computer is difficult.  Got an old machine hanging around somewhere?

Alternatively, it might just be a bad CD.  Try downloading the ISO from the Outpost 1 page.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Trouble With Playing
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »
the "trumpet fanfare" is a part I'm VERY familiar with.  When you hear that, the Sierra thing is supposed to come up.

I got one version of Outpost to work on my desktop, but it took a lot of fiddling with the compatability settings.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline starbuck

Trouble With Playing
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 02:11:27 PM »
I have a Vista machine - Quad core that I bought last year.  Outpost 1.5 was having a problem working.  I believe I had to set the color to 16 and then it work.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:13:01 PM by starbuck »

Offline Simpsonboy77

Trouble With Playing
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 02:36:04 AM »
Yes I bet he is talking about outpost one, I don't know why I assumed 2. Sorry about that, I hope someone can help you out.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3