Author Topic: Semi-useless Tool  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Semi-useless Tool
« on: July 09, 2009, 10:22:21 PM »
I made a tool for OP2.  You load a techtree file and...  Well, pictures are worth a thousand words:

You're probably wondering why I made this.  The short answer is I openly despise you all. :evil laugh:
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Kayedon

Semi-useless Tool
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 10:50:38 PM »
Food Levels Changing
1 Person Born
etc etc
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Sirbomber

Semi-useless Tool
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 11:37:58 PM »
Who cares about that when all techs are named "Technology" and have "Teaser" as their teaser and "Description" as their description?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Semi-useless Tool
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 01:06:17 AM »
Err, so you made a tool that converts tech tree files to ... very user unfriendly tech tree files?

I assume this is a standalone tool, and not something that's used in game?

I don't think I care to download and run this tool myself just to see what it does.  

Offline Hidiot

Semi-useless Tool
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:12:32 AM »
Does it also have Building/Vechicle/Sattelite/Starship/Arachnid/Consumer Good at the various factories?
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

Semi-useless Tool
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 09:34:34 AM »
Err, so you made a tool that converts tech tree files to ... very user unfriendly tech tree files?

Pretty much, Hooman.  This tool pumps maximum user-unfriendliness into the techtrees.  It works on all stock techtrees, and should also work on all properly made custom ones, too.

And Hidiot: No, that's Arklon's old Difficulty Mod v666 (DM666).  People kept suggesting we also hax the techtree, so I finally made this tool to do it.  Now we've got DM666Z. :evil laugh:

Anyways, about how it works:
It's standalone (I don't know how to integrate hax stuff into OP2, which is probably a good thing for the rest of you).  All it does is take an input file (preferably an OP2 techtree), makes it user-unfriendly, and spits out a new techfile.  It doesn't even overwrite the old one.

Arklon has more screenshots of DM666Z in action, but I'll give you a sample of what the tool does to the actual techfile:

Code: [Select]
BEGIN_TECH "Technology" 03402
    CATEGORY        1
    DESCRIPTION     "Effect.  _______________________________________ Description."
    TEASER          "Effect.  _______________________________________ Teaser."
    IMPROVE_DESC    "Upgraded"
    EDEN_COST       1100
    PLYMOUTH_COST   1200
    MAX_SCIENTISTS  11
    LAB             3
    UNIT_PROP TOKAMAK Production_Capacity 300
END_TECH
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:41:13 AM by Sirbomber »

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Semi-useless Tool
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 03:10:55 PM »
Must be very popular too..  0 downloads so far (as of now)

Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Sirbomber

Semi-useless Tool
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 05:16:23 PM »
Oh yeah?  How's Renegades coming along, Eddy-B?

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Semi-useless Tool
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 07:17:15 PM »
Can you post a simple tutorial of how to get it into the game? id like to try it.
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Sirbomber

Semi-useless Tool
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 12:03:48 AM »
There are two methods:

Method 1: Manual
1) Run DM666Z.exe
2) Input the name of the techtree you want to convert (for example, multitek.txt).  Make sure the techtree is in the same folder as the exe.
3) Place the output techtree file in your main Outpost 2 folder, and rename it to the name of the original file (again, multitek.txt as an example).
4) Run Outpost 2.
Note that with this method you will be unable to play multiplayer until you delete the hacked techtree.

Method 2: Automatic
1) Download attached RAR and unzip to your Outpost 2 folder.
2) Run the included shortcut.  (Notice: if running OP2 1.3.5, you may get some error messages.  Dismiss these, then run Outpost 2 normally, without using the included shortcut.  This mod will load instead).
This method does not interfere with any standard OP2 files, but the shortcut may need to be modified if your OP2 folder is not C:\Sierra\Outpost 2 Divided Destiny.

Historical note: http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?showtopic=4098