Author Topic: Outpost Cold War  (Read 8042 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost Cold War
« on: June 11, 2009, 10:38:01 AM »
Before I begin, this is in no way related to the infamous Plymouth Cold War colony game...

The year is 2189 AD and New Terra stands on the verge of crisis.  Peace talks have collapsed and the major powers are mobilizing for war.  Combat units pour out of the Vehicle Factories and space programs have been scrapped, their resources reallocated to mass-producing EMP Missiles.  Rumors of a "war to end all wars" and the "total destruction of the enemy" jump from colonist to colonist like a disease.  In public, leaders promise peace, all the while knowing that this can only end in the destruction of the enemy.  There can be no other alternative.

Meanwhile, the Eden colonies are gripped by fear.  They have tried to stay out of this conflict for years, but now it seems they must choose sides or be destroyed in the crossfire.  Although technologically backwards, their abundant ore supplies and missile defense systems may prove valuable enough to form an alliance with a stronger colony.  It is their only hope for survival.

The coming war will change everything.  You may lead your colony to greatness... or to ruin.

Anyways, this takes place on Axen's Home.  It's a 6P LoS (though currently only players 1, 2, and 3 have bases for this test) where you start off with a well-developed colony and an army build by Dynamix (enjoy your Stickyfoam Panthers).

There are 3 teams, though team 3 is a special case.
Team 1 (First World, forced Plymouth):
Player 1 (United States and Canada)
Player 4 (Australia and Western Europe)

Team 2 (Second World, forced Plymouth):
Player 2 (Soviet Union, Eastern Europe, China)
Player 5 (South America)

Team 3* (Third World, forced Eden):
Player 3 (Africa)
Player 6 (Pacific Isles)

* - The Third World starts as a team, but their goal is to form alliances with one of the other two teams, after which they'll probably break their alliance with the other Third World Player (unless they both ally with the same team).

The first two teams are the "major powers" of the world.  They're technologically advanced and have a lot of military power.  They also start with half a dozen EMP Missiles each.  While you may be thinking this sounds great, having all those Missiles, keep in mind your enemies have just as many as you do...  If you launch 1, they're likely to retaliate.  Your ultimate goal is to crush all your enemies through any means necessary.

However, this is where the Third World becomes important.  The First and Second World lack two things: good ore and a way to destroy incoming EMP Missiles.  The Third World can provide them with both of these things.  Therefore it is important that you get an ally from the Third World as quickly as possible.  It is not recommended you try to kill them and steal their ore.

Oh, and Third World players...  You're Eden, meaning you will eventually get Thor's Hammer.  But don't think you can conquer the world.  Meteor Defenses aren't perfect, and the other players WILL own you with missile spam (which you CANNOT complain about in this mission).

Download here.

To-do:
-Finish the other 3 bases.  Mcshay told me he'd do this, but I highly doubt he'll get around to it.
-Add disasters.
-Fix any problems/balancing issues that may come up unexpectedly.
-Find out why your Rare Ore Mines aren't marked as surveyed if they start with a mine on top and fix it (or at the very least find a work-around).

Part of Player 1's base.  That's Spaceport #1-06 if you can't read it.

Part of Player 2's base.  Those EMP Missiles are already built when the game starts.

Part of Player 3's base.  Note the useful Meteor Defense.

EDIT (leeor_net): Fixing broken link.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:43:08 PM by leeor_net »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline WooJoo

Outpost Cold War
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 01:38:05 PM »
sooo whos north korea? and do they get missles?

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost Cold War
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 01:51:45 PM »
Why would I make such a puny little country playable?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Hidiot

Outpost Cold War
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 02:11:24 PM »
Both player 2 and player 4 have western Europe. Why?

Interesting idea there.  
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost Cold War
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »
Oops, Player 2's should be Eastern Europe.

Offline Leviathan

Outpost Cold War
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 05:28:29 PM »
Arklon was telling me about this the other day on IRC.

Epic great work Sirbomber! :)

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost Cold War
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 11:47:35 PM »
Update!  That rare ore mine bug I was telling you about?  Fixed.  Apparently Dan Duncalf can't code at all.  Hooman explained it better, but apparently the Rare Ore Mine is broken and shouldn't be created in code.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Outpost Cold War
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 12:02:27 AM »
Err, you know. There were other programmers that worked on Outpost 2. It's really quite hard to tell which ones were good or bad without knowing what code was attributed to each. Of course, this bug doesn't strike me as a very bad one. Looks like more of a minor oversight from an untested code path. Possible due to design changes after the code was written, or due to limited time/budget.

But yes, create a common ore mine over a rare ore beacon to get a rare ore mine. You can't create a rare ore mine directly.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost Cold War
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 12:15:07 AM »
We know, but it's easiest to blame Dan Duncalf since:
1) He's the only OP2 programmer whose name I remember.
2) He added the (aptly named) "Dan's cheats" which nearly killed the game.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Outpost Cold War
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 01:09:15 AM »
Yes, he does seem to be the easiest to remember since he's listed as the lead programmer. But, you can check under "About Outpost 2" from the main menu for the others. You'll note that there is also a Dan White who was a programmer. But then, it's largely believed to be Dan Duncalf that created the Dan cheats. Particularly since he posted about "easter eggs" in Outpost 2 on his website. That and I think there was mention of his dog. At any rate, the bugs could have belong to any of the programmers on that list.

Btw, the code for the Dan cheats seemed to imply a programmer that knew what he was doing. I can't imagine a clueless programmer writing the code for that section.

Offline Kayedon

Outpost Cold War
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 02:23:34 AM »
Yes, he does seem to be the easiest to remember since he's listed as the lead programmer. But, you can check under "About Outpost 2" from the main menu for the others. You'll note that there is also a Dan White who was a programmer. But then, it's largely believed to be Dan Duncalf that created the Dan cheats. Particularly since he posted about "easter eggs" in Outpost 2 on his website. That and I think there was mention of his dog. At any rate, the bugs could have belong to any of the programmers on that list.

Btw, the code for the Dan cheats seemed to imply a programmer that knew what he was doing. I can't imagine a clueless programmer writing the code for that section.
"Lulz i n33d moar minuralz. letz refurinc mai dog."

Not that I've seen the code, so I don't really know.  
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Outpost Cold War
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 03:15:08 AM »
now now, combining lol- and leet- speak won't help solve the problem =p
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Outpost Cold War
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 12:45:54 PM »
Dan Duncalf was definitely the one who wrote the cheats, as he was the one giving them out.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Outpost Cold War
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 03:42:09 PM »
he sure fails at updating a site, doesn't he?  BTW, does he know about us, or has all this been 1-sided?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 03:43:06 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Kayedon

Outpost Cold War
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 09:34:35 PM »
he sure fails at updating a site, doesn't he?  BTW, does he know about us, or has all this been 1-sided?
If he last updated it in like 2003, I doubt he knows about us. Or is he a part of this group :ph34r:  
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Outpost Cold War
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 10:43:01 PM »
We'll just have to start saying random things on IRC like "Hey Dan!", and see if anyone answers. :P

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost Cold War
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 11:12:41 PM »
Oops, looks like you've discovered my secret identity.