Author Topic: Media  (Read 8636 times)

Offline Celledor

• http://www.veus.se
Media
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:33:10 AM »
Here you will find all the movies, screenshots, wallpapers and other media that has been created for and around the project.

Go here to test the unity 3d version: v0.001
(http://www.veus.se/Outpost3D/Unity/OP2.html)

Old... will remove and replace with new.

Movies
Outpost 3D Alpha video (55 MB)
Outpost 3D Alpha video 2 (31 MB)

Screenshots
Alpha screenshots:
Main menu
Base with walls
Base and lynx
Base with shadows

Mod tools:
Interface editor 0.1 (showing moving, resize, snap and properties)

Wallpapers
Wallpaper 1 (1280 x 1024)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 03:51:44 PM by Celledor »

Offline Celledor

Media
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »
I added a new movie that show a Lynx finding its way through a few buildings... as you can see it fails at one occasion so it’s not finished yet but its progress.

To find the path it uses a way that locates the corners of the obstacles that is in the way rather than a grid of nodes and path finding algorithms. If this method will be effective for several units and moving obstacles I'm still not sure, time will tell.

Offline Spikerocks101

Media
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:29:57 PM »
100, 200, 300... I only got 300$, is that enough for publishing and production costs? Your awesome, keep up em good work (and release as much crap on the internets as possible, maybe we might see new memebers interested in ur work?)
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Leviathan

Media
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 06:10:32 AM »
Looking great :)

Thanks for the media!

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Media
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 06:12:31 AM »
100, 200, 300... I only got 300$, is that enough for publishing and production costs? Your awesome, keep up em good work (and release as much crap on the internets as possible, maybe we might see new memebers interested in ur work?)
Due to the existing copyright on the intellectual properties in OP2, this game can't actually be published and sold. However, parody works are legal in the US (I'm not sure about other countries), so if you can convince your consumers that the game is an OP2 parody you might be able to sell it.

Offline Hidiot

Media
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 06:34:17 AM »
Or purchase copywrite permissions for something no one buys anymore anywho.

The path finding presented here would work more as the path finding method used without an RCC, as it's not exactly the most efficient path. Still it's good that it works, despite the remaining bugs.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:37:57 AM by Hidiot »
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Celledor

Media
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 10:50:34 AM »
I could make it into a RTS game engine that just happens to have outpost 2 as a user made mod... and in that way publish and sell it, but that would require some more work.

But that would be a future project as the game engine would have to be able to make diffrent kinds of RTS games.

Offline Spikerocks101

Media
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 11:40:06 AM »
A little to mcuh thought put into what i said eh? But again, keep it up, any wall papers ready yet?
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Celledor

Media
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 01:40:35 PM »
But again, keep it up, any wall papers ready yet?

Added one, not that good but...

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Media
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 04:13:57 PM »
Due to the existing copyright on the intellectual properties in OP2, this game can't actually be published and sold. However, parody works are legal in the US (I'm not sure about other countries), so if you can convince your consumers that the game is an OP2 parody you might be able to sell it.
Well, it was mentioned that this was going to be released as open source software. If that is the case, selling it for profit kind of negates the "open source" idea (open source implies free, if someone has to pay money for it, it's not open source).

Furthermore, I don't know about the licensing issues on the game engine that is being used. (Might only be free for noncommercial use, and if you want to sell commercially then you might be paying thousands of dollars for a license).

Regarding legal issues with OP2, parody seems like a poor defense (good luck trying to prove to a court that this would be a parody of OP2. Maybe if you made the RPGs fire, I don't know, frogs instead of rockets, and the stickyfoam fire... well, let's not go there :P)

I think the main legal issue would not be so much copyright infringement as it would be trademark infringement. "OUTPOST" is a registered trademark and using the name / ideas in our own "products" could lead to some issues there. My understanding is that trademark infringement would be considered a civil offense (i.e. the trademark holder can file suit against you since they are granted the exclusive right to use of that trademark) it is not in itself illegal (whereas copyright infringement is a criminal offense, though again most cases like this are settled in civil court... though you may open yourself up to criminal penalties if you sell something that is deemed infringing).

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, since I'm not a lawyer, but this is my understanding of it. In short, don't sell it, and you're probably going to be just fine.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Media
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 07:53:19 PM »
Technically open source and free are two seperate things. It's like that whole "free as in speech, not free as in beer" things you occasionally run into. For example, Windows is not free, nor is it open source. Adobe Reader is free, but not open source. Most Linux distributions are both free and open source. However, I believe Red Hat Enterprise Linux is open source, but not free. If you really wanted it, I believe you could download the source and compile it yourself, but they don't have binaries up for download. You have to pay for the precompiled binaries.

Granted, non-free, open source software is somewhat rare compared to the other categories. Plus, the free, but not open source stuff is usually to promote a company or technology that has other non-free related software packages. So I can see open source and free generally being equated.

I'd given some thought into the general game engine with an Outpost specific mod myself actually. Although, if you wanted to sell it, you'd probably need to write a whole other game, and offer such a mod for free. Plus, I suspect if you wrote both the engine and the mod yourself, that might lead to some trouble. Particularly if the main selling point of the game, was to run the free mod. That's ignoring problems over the free mod idea itself too.

Offline Celledor

Media
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 01:59:48 AM »
Furthermore, I don't know about the licensing issues on the game engine that is being used. (Might only be free for noncommercial use, and if you want to sell commercially then you might be paying thousands of dollars for a license).

The Truevision 3D engine is free for noncommercial use but only cost 150$ for a single license (which I by the way has but will not use for this project).

This project will be free and open source but I do have plans to make a whole new RTS game after that, which hopefully one day will be a commercial project (but I'm  talking years ahead now).

The plan I have for game development is this:
First I realease the next version of my game Prytorian Defender (much of the code for this project will be reused in the outpost 3D beta so don't worry about it stealing time, the progress here is progress in outpost 3D).

Then releasing Outpost 3D.

And then my own RTS project called Colony: The Terraform War (which is a combination of the gameplay in outpost 2 and the X-com games). Here is where the idea for a game engine might come in but its way to early to tell. All that exists is a concept document.

Offline Celledor

Media
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 06:00:52 AM »
I added a screenshot of the interface editor that show the moving of interface controls, resize, snap and properties list functions. This is the basic functionality, later I will add background images, border, text etc.

In the shot I'm moving one "panel" and as seen the editor tells me that I can snap it to align it with the other controls.

Offline Leviathan

Media
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 06:19:43 PM »
Great work :)

Offline Celledor

Media
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 05:43:45 AM »
Thanks, this tool and its functions is fun to program, but it feels a bit strange to develop an interface tool inside an interface tool (visual studio).

I got a kind of style save/load system up an running.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Media
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 12:13:45 PM »
Dude, Nice work!

<appears out of thin air>

Sorry I"ve been out for a while.. life has been getting to me but it's very exciting to see that there is another project up and running off the ground  :heh:

Just wanted to stop by and say nice job :)

FYI:
I'll probably be in and out every once in a while, but if anyone ever needs me, I'm always on AIM, or you can e-mail me at stormy315@gmail.com

Meh. :)

Still baffled at how long its been since ive posted.  :blink:  
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.