Poll

What weekend works best for a winter reunion?

December 19-21, 2008
3 (17.6%)
December 26-28, 2008
7 (41.2%)
January 2-4, 2009
2 (11.8%)
January 9-11, 2009
5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: OPU Winter Reunion 08/09  (Read 11964 times)

Offline Sirbomber

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« on: December 06, 2008, 09:55:14 PM »
See question.
And we will have it this time or I will turn OPU in2 TEH MES HAL.

I expect notifications to be sent out as soon as a date is decided.
Heck, I'll write the message if I have to...
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Spikerocks101

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 01:43:36 AM »
what you do in a get togeather? play or code?
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 03:24:33 AM »
I voted 26-28th.

Back on WON at least, it was during the christmas (not before or after), that you usually saw old faces pop back in to play some games.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Hidiot

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 04:15:25 AM »
I voted the weekend before (19th-21st), as school break kicks in, I have the option to do completely nothing in that weekend but relax.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
True, but I wasn't sure if anyone would be traveling that weekend.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Leviathan

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 05:20:54 AM »
Ill be on over Xmas.

I would love for the reunion to be January 9-11, 2009 ! :D

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »
I say before Christmas, otherwise you risk having next to noone there (who doesn't play with their new toys after christmas?)
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 12:55:28 PM »
Very true.
Gaaah, so hard to decide!

Offline Leviathan

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 07:49:07 AM »
After xmas/new years. People are often busy over this period and not online. Lets get a newsletter sent out to tell everyone..! :D

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 01:22:26 PM »
Wouldn't after x-mas and new years be like.. you know a regular week ? Isn't that when people got stuff to do ?
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Sirbomber

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 05:06:09 PM »
An interesting point was made: most people will be playing with their new toys after Christmas.  This eliminates December 26 - 28.  December 19-21 is now too close; we would have to send out a newsletter immediately, and with BlackBox unresponsive that won't happen.  This means it's happening sometime in January next year.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 05:11:33 PM »
Don't forget the issue of sending out unsolicited emails to a lot of people. A lot of people may consider it to be spam.

There was also mention of some box people can check while signing up about receiving email from the forum, and most people uncheck that box, so it doesn't seem entirely fair to be sending mail to those people. Of course, if that option is respected, there are apparently very few people left to email.

Offline Sirbomber

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 05:14:41 PM »
Since when has that stopped us in the past?
Besides, we gotta get the word out somehow.  Unless you can think of a better way of doing it?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 05:26:39 PM »

Offline Jhessela

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 11:53:11 AM »
I voted for January 9-11. I'd also be okay with December 19-21. I'll be away during most of the middle two.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 06:41:34 PM »
I will be on break during all of those times (I have a 27 day break).

That doesn't mean I won't have work to do however....

Edit: Oh and this week is finals... so don't expect to see me on (if you did at all).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 06:44:21 PM by Mcshay »

Offline Sirbomber

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 01:46:11 PM »
so don't expect to see me on (if you did at all).
Who are you, and why would we expect you on in the first place?  :P  

Offline Leviathan

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 11:29:03 AM »
only 11 votes :(

Offline Sirbomber

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 12:09:07 PM »
Yeah, that's kinda why we need the reunion, Lev...

Anyways, I say we go with January 9, 10, and 11, 2009.  We obviously can't have it this weekend, and we'll leave the two weekends after Christmas open for previously discussed reasons.

Offline Leviathan

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 03:23:24 PM »
That sounds perfect Sirbomber.

Offline Sirbomber

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 03:28:15 PM »
Excellent!  Glad we finally reached a decision!

Offline Sirbomber

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 10:07:22 AM »
Yeah, I'm double-posting.  Don't like it?  Cry me a river.

Anyways, this is a rough draft of the proposed newsletter.  Yes, I know it sounds goofy.  Regardless, tell me what you all think:

Fellow fans of Outpost,

The holiday season is upon us, and this winter extinction is not an option!  OPU is having another big reunion to celebrate the holidays!  Friends new and old will be gathering here at OPU starting Friday January 9 and ending Sunday January 11!  Stop by and have some fun playing games, chatting with the other gamers, and sharing memories!  Everyone is invited, and feel free to bring a few friends along!

As is customary, we’ve got plenty of gifts to share the holiday joy!  Get ready for the biggest battles yet with Outpost 2 Version 1.3.5, which has doubled the original unit limits!  The patch also includes Hooman’s new and improved WON Replacement!   Other bugs fixed in the new version include a pesky bug that stopped the Meteor Defense from firing and a bug that slowed down multiplayer games!  As if that’s not exciting enough, you can compete in an entirely new Outpost experience with Sirbomber’s brand-new techtree!  You get to learn your favorite game all over again!  You can also check out the revival of Eddy-B’s famous Renegades campaign, or look at the progress of Celledor’s Outpost 3D, which has impressed even the biggest skeptics among us!  We’ve also got a special holiday-themed mod for you to play!  There are also rumors that a few people have some special surprises they’ve been waiting to release!  Sounds exciting!

But that’s not all we have for you!  For the programmers among us, Hooman’s been cooking up some new stuff and is working on a brand-new SDK!  I’d explain more, but it’s all very technical, you see, and I don’t really understand it myself.  But it’s really impressive!

Can’t make it?  No problem!  You can stop by OPU anytime and have a good time!  Remember, the fun doesn’t end until you stop coming!

Sincerely,

The Outpost Universe Staff

Anything else I should include in that big "list of awesome stuff that will make people want to come back" that I may have missed?

PS: Now that I've written it there is no excuse not to send it! :evil laugh:

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 03:13:32 PM »
... and here I emerge from the underworld yet again, that I call university ;-)

Looks good to me. Short and to the point, not rambling which is good.

I can't think of anything right now that should be added (though I have been out of it for so long, so if someone thinks something should be added post it here).

If you want something added, work out the changes and post them here. I'll mail out whatever I see about one day from now.

Offline Leviathan

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »
Good work. Seperate the main paragraph into two.

And need info when its taking place. And that its on IRC for 3 days, and links to irc download and java irc. Gotta make it easy for people to get on!

:)

Offline Sirbomber

OPU Winter Reunion 08/09
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 09:40:28 AM »
Fellow fans of Outpost,

The holiday season is upon us, and this winter extinction is not an option!  OPU is having another big reunion to celebrate the holidays!  Friends new and old will be gathering here at OPU starting Friday January 9 and ending Sunday January 11!  Stop by and have some fun playing games, chatting with the other gamers, and sharing memories!  Everyone is invited, and feel free to bring a few friends along!

As is customary, we’ve got plenty of gifts to share the holiday joy!  Get ready for the biggest battles yet with Outpost 2 Version 1.3.5, which has doubled the original unit limits!  The patch also includes Hooman’s new and improved WON Replacement!   Other bugs fixed in the new version include a pesky bug that stopped the Meteor Defense from firing and a bug that slowed down multiplayer games!  As if that’s not exciting enough, you can compete in an entirely new Outpost experience with Sirbomber’s brand-new techtree!  You get to learn your favorite game all over again!  You can also check out the revival of Eddy-B’s famous Renegades campaign, or look at the progress of Celledor’s Outpost 3D, which has impressed even the biggest skeptics among us!  We’ve also got a special holiday-themed mod for you to play!  There are also rumors that a few people have some special surprises they’ve been waiting to release!  Sounds exciting!

But that’s not all we have for you!  For the programmers among us, Hooman’s been cooking up some new stuff and is working on a brand-new SDK!  I’d explain more, but it’s all very technical, you see, and I don’t really understand it myself.  But it’s really impressive!

Can’t make it?  No problem!  You can stop by OPU anytime and have a good time!  Remember, the fun doesn’t end until you stop coming!

Sincerely,

The Outpost Universe Staff

OPU Website: http://www.outpost2.net/
Forums: http://forum.outpost2.net/
IRC Download: http://www.outpost2.net/irc.php

This reminds me; perhaps we should "standardize" 1.3.5?  It's a pain trying to figure out who's using which version, especially since they're both (internally) 1.3.4.  This would also mean replacing the 1.3.4 downloads with 1.3.5 downloads, but I don't know if Hooman is comfortable with doing that yet.