Author Topic: Mappers And Coders Needed!  (Read 5883 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Mappers And Coders Needed!
« on: September 10, 2008, 09:35:05 AM »
For those of you who didn't notice, Multitek2 Phase 1 is complete (download not yet available).  In layman's terms, my new techtree is done, but needs testing.  However, I need people to start making new maps (because Mcshay keeps starting RMG over) and then code new missions for said new maps.  Any volunteers?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Gagagigo3

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 01:54:01 PM »
Well, i could make a few maps for a campaign or something, but then you would give me a few sketches to work with. Further; i dont have that much time around to be at the mapper, so it are relatively small maps. Yust count me in at the "Reserves"
Extinction is just the beginning.

Check this out, it rocks

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 02:38:52 PM »
If there's not going to be any complicated AI in it, I could devote a bit of time to coding the maps.

I might also regain my drive to work on me own little project and as I progress there, AI's might become easier to make.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 05:48:13 PM »
We'll need maps before we can do any coding.
And these are multiplayer maps, not campaign maps.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Kurgan

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 06:30:07 PM »
I'm becoming slightly more proficient at making maps. It's a surprisingly slow process! I can do it, but not in any hurry. In other words: I'm your "oh shiez there's no one volunteering" guy. I seriously doubt you'll have recruitment problems, though, the people here are, on average, at 79% on a nice-meter. 79% because a specific troll is added to the average. I shall name no names, but I shall hold a grudge.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 07:25:48 PM »
79% because a specific troll is added to the average. I shall name no names, but I shall hold a grudge.
Yay, I made an average lower! Everyone agrees I'm a jerk, and this is the proof I've wanted.

Anyways, here's what I've planned for now (all names are tentative):

Map 1:
2P, LoS, Impact Site. 128 x 128. Basic map designed for a 1-on-1 match.  Relatively flat map, aside from player's bases which have some natural cliffs protecting them.  Identical mines means this match comes down to pure skill.  As the name implies, there are lots of Conestoga wreckage decoration tiles (but no collectible wreckage).

Map 2:
4P, LoS, Faultline. 128 x (128 or 256).  A standard 2v2 match with a canyon dividing the two teams into east and west.  Many bottlenecks.

Map 3:
4P, LoS, Midnight. (Medium-sized map).  Permanently dark 4P FFA.  Player bases are far apart and have little/no natural walls, making them vulnerable to Starflare/Supernova sneak attacks.

Map 4:
6P, LoS, Divided Destiny. 256 x 256.  A 6P, 2v2 or 3v3 LoS.  Teams are divided into east and west by a large mountain.  Bases have no natural defenses, but the mountain has several prime bottleneck locations.  Controlling/fortifying the mountain is key to victory.

Map 5:
6P, LoS, Nowhere to Go. 128 x 128 or 256 x 256.  A 6P FFA.  This map is similar to Pie Chart in that each player has his or her own base "pocket".  However, unlike in Pie Chart, there is no "outer" area: the only place to go is into the middle ground and other player's bases.  The only way in or out of a base is through a long canyon.

Map 6:
6P, LoS, Global Warfare. (World map).  Your average, run-of-the-mill world map.  Very little open space, unlike in AtW/Axen's Home.  Most of the map consists of mountain passes and tight canyons.

Feel free to make your own suggestion or modify these however you want.
Thanks for offering to help, everyone who has and will.

Oh, we're only doing LoS for now. There will be more later.  These maps can probably be reused for other gametypes, though.

Offline Kurgan

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »
Nifty. Sounds like you have a very good idea of what you want. I get the feeling it'll be hard to actually make them how you wish them to be without some sort of reference in the form of a hand (or paint) drawn map.
And you're not the troll, Sirbomber. In fact, I didn't even realize you trolled the form. I'll have to be careful around you now!  :P
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 08:27:22 PM by Kurgan »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 09:31:33 PM »
Im sure you can use the current maps right?

Just recompile with a diff the tek tree name?

Offline ImpulziveMyztik

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 10:07:26 PM »
I am still fairly new to the "new" outpost stuff, but I am rapidly becoming more proficient at making maps, and a very, um, dumb, AI(just sits, might twitch or something, lol. not very good w/ game AI). I'll give it a shot at making maps if you would like
 (thumbsup)  

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 04:42:26 AM »
I always wanted to make a multiplayer map. Don't know how long it may take, though. At least a few months, I guess. I suggest, you use some existing maps first. I do anyway not see why it would be necessary to have certain maps only for one specific tech-tree/game-type (in multiplayer).

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 05:21:35 AM »
But we all could use some new maps, could we not?

Placing one tile at a time is tedious... and the tile groups only help a bit.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 07:44:00 AM »
Yes, I'll use the existing maps... For now.
I was actually going to just cannibalize existing maps for now, but my version of the mapper isn't the one that can copy/paste cell types, and I don't think there's any download for that (as far as I know, BlackBox made it and DCCed it to a few people, but never replaced the old mapper with the new one).

And I can make a drawing if you'd like.  Give me awhile, though.
Thanks for the show of support, everyone!

Edit: Here are some poorly-made MS Paint PNGs (made with the airbrush, as if it wasn't bad enough already!).

KEY:
Orange = sand
Gray = Gray
Black = Black
Green Dots = Wreckage decoration
Dark Red X = Volcano
Red Circle = Player Base
Blue Lines = Cliff Lines

Impact Site:

Faultline:

Note: The middle area is the lowest ground, with those little inaccessible cliffs on the left and right being the highest ground.

Midnight:

Those cliffs are purely for decoration.  They are inaccessible.

Divided Destiny:

The left and right areas are the lowest ground, with the volcano area being the highest ground.

Nowhere to Go:

Obviously this one needs a bit of work, as some bases are right next to the middle ground while others are miles away.  Also, the black exterior area is inaccessible.

Global Warfare:
Meh, you know what? Do what you want. World maps are hard enough without me telling you how to do it.

Of course, feel free to make your own maps! If none of these look all that great, do your own thing! I'm sure it will be acceptable!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 08:11:46 AM by Sirbomber »

Offline Gagagigo3

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 11:53:47 AM »
Count me out...! The last thing i would wanna do is making an around the world map, but i purely dont have the time, being this my last year at VMBO (its a Dutch school grade)
Extinction is just the beginning.

Check this out, it rocks

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 11:59:10 AM »
Count me out...! The last thing i would wanna do is making an around the world map
Then don't make one. There are plenty of other choices, or you can design your own.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 07:16:26 PM »
lol bomber, you want my "volcano race" map?  I'm nowhere near done with it...haven't even worked on it in over a year now...

It is an around the world I was going to ask Mcshay to help me code when I was done with it, but I never got around to placing the filler tiles (was holding off to see if hooman and hacker would combine their efforts with the mapper and auto-placer.)

Original idea of it:
- 6 players
- land-rush style
- volcano that erupts after giving the players an x mark head start (where x is some number to be tested out to make it fair).
- 6 spaces where lava does not go (along with some narrow paths through the lava field)

It can easily be tweeked, though.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 08:40:37 PM »
Sounds a lot like "Flood Plain v2" (but probably less annoying).  It'd be great to see some of your work, CK9.  I've heard good things about your maps.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 02:41:17 AM »
I was actually going to just cannibalize existing maps for now, but my version of the mapper isn't the one that can copy/paste cell types, and I don't think there's any download for that (as far as I know, BlackBox made it and DCCed it to a few people, but never replaced the old mapper with the new one).
I did some digging and here's the relevant link: http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php?showtopic=3100

Just use that and replace your existing mapper executable.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 07:41:01 PM »
Interesting designs.