Author Topic: Mystery Tunes (midi)  (Read 7582 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 01:14:56 AM »
Hmm, no answers in a long while so....

"Big Money! Big Prizes! I Love It!"
Yep, #9 was from Smash TV. The violent reality TV game show game for the SNES (and actually for the NES too, but the graphics were terrible, so let's not talk about that version). Btw, this is the song where I left some meta data in the track information. You could have pulled that line, and part of the game name out of there. Visible with things like Winamp.

#10 is the Secret of Mana theme, for the SNES.

#11 is from Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, for the SNES. It's the battle theme, so if you've played the game, it should be easily recognizable.

#12 is from Command & Conquer (multiple versions). It's the Mechanical Man song.

Offline Sirbomber

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 12:48:03 PM »
Now, do more; but pick better games.  :P  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 05:05:11 PM »
Why don't you post some? I think I've posted some from most of the easily recognizable games that I have, and I'm not really sure what other people here play.

Offline Tellaris

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 08:34:46 PM »
Here's some courtesy of me. Happy Guessing! Two are meant to be "common", two are meant to be "obscure".

These are hosted courtesy of Hooman, so if they don't work, his server changed IP. Gotta find a better place for them.

Mystery1
Mystery2A
Mystery2B
Mystery3
Mystery4

Song 2 is divided into two parts, not entirely sure why, but from the same level.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Sirbomber

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 09:38:23 PM »
I shall take you up on your offer, Hooman!

And Tellaris... No idea on any of 'em.
The first one sounds kinda sci-fi/horror, though, and for some reason I am tempted to say "Metroid" though it's probably wrong.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 01:47:20 AM »
So far i've only recognized the tetris theme.
From the answers i can also see it's the only game out of those mentioned that i have played aswell :P
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 12:50:52 AM »
I'm going to guess Age of Empires for #3.

Offline Tellaris

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 08:31:06 PM »
You need to specify which one, for example
Outpost, or Outpost 2?
Click Here For Coolness

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 01:45:21 AM »
one of those sounds like a classic rock song number 4 i reallly want to say led zeplin or fleet wood mac lol

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 02:45:36 PM »
Ok, then Age of Empires 1 for song #3. I don't think I ever owned AoE 2, and the song is just too familiar. (Or perhaps the song is in both?)

Offline Tellaris

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 06:23:19 AM »
Alright Hooman, you're correct. It IS AOE 1. Assign yourself whatever amount of points you've been using for everyone else. AOE 2/3 did NOT use any remixes of their predecessor's songs.
+ 10000000 points for Hooman! (j/k)

Some clues:
Number 1 is from a fairly common game. It was game of the year. I'll reveal what year on Monday. There where 3 incarnations of this in total, but each sucked more then the first. It at its time, was considered revolutionary. The song is from the game's tutorial.

Number 2 A/B is from a game I've talked about on IRC. It was never particularly common, and was criticized for being too close to Wing Commander, but still had fairly distinctive game play.

Number 4 is from a game that lasted on count, 5 separate incarnations, including expansion packs. Another not particularly well known game, it does have a fairly good following, large enough to warrant 4 sequels. This song appears in 3 of the games, the first, third and fourth. I do not believe they ever bothered to remix it.

More specific clues will appear throughout the week, whenever I get around to posting them.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:24:45 AM by Tellaris »
Click Here For Coolness

Offline Tellaris

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 02:19:38 AM »
Wow forgot about this. Suppose its been long enough?

Number 1: It is from 1997 I believe, was named game of the year for its unique style of play. The game is Homeworld 1, considered a classic now. The song is specifically from the Tutorial.
Number 2: Another old game, was never particularly popular. Similar in style to Wing Commander, with capital ships often playing a larger role. Some where quite irritating, even deadly, if you got too close. Still a large focus on fighter craft however. It is from a game called Freespace. This was from the second mission, but is used on other missions as well.
Number 4 is from another not too terribly common game. It is from specifically Stronghold: Legends, and variants appeared in the original Stronghold and Stronghold 2. Appears semi-randomly in game.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:23:14 AM by Tellaris »
Click Here For Coolness