Author Topic: Mystery Tunes (midi)  (Read 7581 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:12:17 PM »
Guess where the mystery tunes are from.

You'll have probably a few days to a week to guess the tunes, (depending on the availability of the person who posted the challenge). Feel free to post your own challenges, but try to wait until the last round has ended before starting a new one.

For some added fun, we'll assign points for correct answers. A correct answer is worth 2 points. If someone guesses close, but not close enough, then the 2 points may be split between the close guess and the later correct guess. Only the first person to make such a guess gets the points. Point splitting will only be possible if the tune has a very precise origin. That is, the tune is from a specific part of a series, but is not common to the series as a whole. In that case, 1 point may be awarded for guessing the correct series, and the other for the correct part of the series.

Note: Tunes must be in midi format. (Yes, dial-up users, you can play too!) :P

Round 1
----------
Let's start easy.

Hint: These all come from games with well known titles from the NES/SNES/DOS era.

1) Mystery Tune 1
2) Mystery Tune 2
3) Mystery Tune 3
4) Mystery Tune 4

Offline Fenrisul

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:40:39 PM »
1) I want to say Super Tetris 3
2) A link to the past
3) ? no idea
4) FF6/3 main theme
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:53:24 PM by Fenrisul »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 03:10:56 AM »
Hmm, I've been debating if I should say yes/no before the end of the round. I suppose I might as well.

You're quite right on the 3 guesses.

For the first one, Tetris is good enough for me. I think the song was from the original, but I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same songs in some of the many sequels and spinoffs.

The second is from Zelda 3: A Link to the Past. It's the Castle tune.

Nice how you mentioned FF6/3 for the last one. For those that don't know, the game was released as Final Fantasy 6 in Japan, but as Final Fantasy 3 in the US. (Final Fantasy 4 was released as FF2 in the US). It is indeed Terra's theme, which is played during the intro story sequence. (And just to be clear, this "main" theme is not the title theme, which is different and not very memorable).

Btw, the 3rd song was a bit of a curve ball. I said "well known title" for a reason. I don't know too many people that actually played this game, but pretty much everyone has played a sequel.

Offline Fenrisul

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 07:06:51 AM »
That tetris song is "One of the main tetris themes" but its too complicated to be the original tetris - too many channels;  I say ST3 because of the drums - it was the only version to have those in the intro for that theme.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 07:23:25 PM »
Hmm, just checking some comments on it, and it seems to be a remix. Ahh well, I suppose that's to be expected, since the sound system on the NES and SNES doesn't correspond exactly to midi files, so there will be a few changes. I don't really check how accurate the conversion was as long as I recognize the tune.

Seems no one else is biting on the third song. Not sure if I should continue waiting, or give it away and start the next round. Or maybe just start the next round without giving it away.

Offline Sirbomber

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 07:31:09 PM »
Just go on. It sounds like even you're starting to have some doubts about it.
Graaaah, I knew the other 3, too.  Curse you, Fenrisul!  Curse you and your cowboy avatar shenanigans!!!
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline vennom

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 08:54:06 PM »
Sirbomber likes to curse ppl o.O

and... i think i only knew the tetris song lol...

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 12:25:46 AM »
Hmm, ok. Here's the deal then. Noone seems to be guessing that 3rd song so I'll start the next round. But, since that song has only been posted for a few days, I'll wait another day, and then post a related tune as a hint, and only award 1 point for a correct answer after the hint has been posted. (It'll be a big hint).

Totals
-------
Fenrisul: 6 points

Round 2
----------
Hint: NES/DOS/early Windows

5) Mystery Tune 5
6) Mystery Tune 6
7) Mystery Tune 7
8) Mystery Tune 8

Also (reasonably) well known titles, but they should be somewhat harder this time.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:27:39 AM by Hooman »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »
Ok, here's the hint tune to #3. It's from the same game. This one is now only worth 1 point.

3b) Mystery Tune 3b

(yes, this should be sounding very familiar to some of you, but yet strangely different).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 08:54:34 PM by Hooman »

Offline Sirbomber

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 09:13:07 PM »
I still have no idea.  It has a kinda darkish sound to it...
I randomly guess Wolfenstein 3D because I can. Mwahahaha!
And no idea for the four new ones.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 12:34:15 AM »
Hmm, still nothing. Alright then, I'll post another hint for #3, but at this point it's no longer worth any points. You can still guess it for the pride and admiration of your fellow forumites though! :P

If we take mystery tune 3b, (which is from the same game as mystery tune 3), and if we speed up the tempo a little, or adjust the beat slightly, add a few more instruments, and of course some lyrics, then we get this well known remix from a well known sequel:

3c) Mystery Tune 3c  (mp3)

Now where have you heard this before? Now what game is the original tune from?

:o  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 04:28:52 PM »
"Why do you keep touching me"

Ok, so #3c was the "Disco" song from Warcraft II. It was a remix of the Human theme 1 from Warcraft 1 (#3b). Song #3 was from Warcraft 1, Human theme 2.

Song #5 is the Space Quest theme. (File said #6, but they all sound the same)
Song #6 is from Metal Gear - Indoors theme (the original NES version)
Song #7 is from 1942/1943 - Stage 1 (classic game!)
Song #8 is from Double Dragon - Stage 1

I'm going to guess not too many people are interested in this. How many people actually played NES/SNES games here? I've noticed we have a lot of young(er than me) people here.

Offline Sirbomber

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 09:22:11 AM »
I played NES/SNES... Just not those games...
I'm quite interested in this, actually.  I just wish you'd pick better games.  :P  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 05:37:57 PM »
Very well.

*Checks selection of PC games* Hmm, somewhat limited. I may have to find more stuff for that. Ok then, 1 PC tune, and 3 SNES tunes. I'll give two hints too. :)

9) Mystery Tune 9
10) Mystery Tune 10
11) Mystery Tune 11
12) Mystery Tune 12

Ok, and one of the two hints is: FF ...   :ph34r:

:whistle:  

Offline Sirbomber

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 08:29:29 PM »
9) No idea... but the cheering at the start makes me think it's some sort of sports game...
10) Ugh... Secret of Mana title theme (shudders at the memories)
11) Sounds so familiar...
12) No idea... Though the intro reminds me of classic Doom.

I'll sleep on #11.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 01:06:16 PM »
Correct on #10.

Fenrisul: 6 points
Sirbomber: 2 points

Offline DarekStar

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 09:33:39 PM »
i balive #9 is the ff7 bike arcade theam i have to check but it sounds like it or it could be from a fzero game

also #12 sounds like its from a nes game i think pow or something i cant place it it could be commando or a command and conquer game so manny choises for it
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:36:16 PM by DarekStar »
-Darek

Caution this user refuses to spell check or even try and spell corectly unless posting a story.

so bare with him

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 01:34:28 AM »
Hehe, #9 always makes me laugh.

I'd pretty much forgotten about this thread.

Oh, btw, I said I'd give two hints, and that one of them was FF. Has anyone found the other hint?  :ph34r:  

Offline Sirbomber

Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »
No.  Out with it.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 10:30:09 PM »
<_<

Sometimes infomation is encoded in the track names. After the first round, when people immediately guessed the songs that just happened to have such encoded track information, I started to hex edit it out. Except for this round when I decided to leave a little bit of pertinent information in one of them. Sort of a midi equivalent of id3 tags I guess.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 01:59:45 AM »
there's no way #12 sounds anything like the DOOM games!!!!

I thought you said these were well known games -.-
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 12:00:25 PM »
Lol CK9. You may end up smaking yourself when you hear some of the answers.  ;)  

Offline Axen

• http://www.lisp.org
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 06:25:56 PM »
I'm almost certain you're using VGMusic.com's user-created MIDI files.

Mystery #9 IS AWESOME!  It's the Reality-TV-Violence-Game-Show game from SNES; I forgot what it's called; I even played it on an emulator.

Mystery #3:  If you had used the original MIDIs from Warcraft II (available, for example, at http://www.mirsoft.info/gmb/music_info.php?id_file=MjYxNQ== ), I'm sure many people would have recognized it.  The VGMusic MIDIs were severely emasculated.

I'd like to suggest that you also quiz us on specific level themes from well-known games, such as Sonic, Mario, or Kirby.
My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and am therefore excused from saving universes.
-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 07:50:24 PM »
I've never heard of VGMusic, but the MIDI files did come from all over the internet, so some of them may be the same.

Mystery #3 was NOT Warcraft II. It was Warcraft I. However, they remixed the first human theme from Warcraft I and turned it into the Disco song from Warcraft II. Hence the hints. (#3b, #3c).

I suppose I could quiz on level themes from specific games. Not sure if I should announce which game though, or maybe a series name. I bet Megaman would be good for that. I don't really have anything from Sonic though. Never much liked Sega. I have a few from Mario and Kirby though.

Offline Axen

• http://www.lisp.org
Mystery Tunes (midi)
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 11:27:43 AM »
Of course you shouldn't name the game!  That's why you use a well-known one.

Here's what you said (with what I understood):

...#3c was the "Disco" song from Warcraft II.
This song was in WCII?

It was a remix of the Human theme 1 from Warcraft 1 (#3b).
So WCII had a remixed theme from WCI?

Song #3 was from Warcraft 1, Human theme 2.
I must've missed this line.  In any case, I never had sound in WC1.
My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and am therefore excused from saving universes.
-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy