Poll

If WON still existed, would many people still be playing OP2?

Definitely!
4 (21.1%)
Maybe a handful..
9 (47.4%)
Probably not.
6 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: If WON Still Existed...  (Read 3017 times)

Offline onehand

If WON Still Existed...
« on: May 16, 2008, 06:59:07 PM »
hm?

Offline Leviathan

If WON Still Existed...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »
and if the cheats were removed long ago

Offline Sirbomber

If WON Still Existed...
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 07:18:38 PM »
No, because VU would have made an OP3 which would have turned OP2 into a Starcrap clone to make it "more popular".
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

If WON Still Existed...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 12:01:55 PM »
And anyway, people are still playing today. I think you mean would more people be playing if WON was around... probaly not.

Offline Hidiot

If WON Still Existed...
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 12:39:32 PM »
Let's face it... It's a game made 11 years ago. The idea for it is brilliant, but an idea won't keep too many playing it for long. Its lack of flexibility is major impediment, as I see it. Making a new map for it is actually hard if you want to make it from scratch. Although it isn't all that hard to make the code for a simple multi map, it can be a pain to define every single rectangular region with its own disaster frequency / intensity. And if you want some realistic-ish AI, then...

In a way, I was seeking to figure out templates for everything and set the ground for making a tool for smoother map coding, but I failed to maintain my motivation :/
Lack of understanding of memory operations (that were needed to make researching realistic) with my normal disorganization led to me stop. Now the inability to get Code:Blocks to work isn't helping either.

There are means of playing OP2 world-wide, through Hamachi or Hooman's wondrous (no sarcasm!)  project for a net fix... if you're not terminally lazy that is  :unsure:  
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Leviathan

If WON Still Existed...
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 04:39:52 PM »
Yeah we play on IRC everyday.

As for complete single player maps yeah its a big job but WON is about multiplayer maps and its not that hard and dosent take that long to create new multi maps imo. You can copy and paste current work to speed up making the .map and the .dll code.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
If WON Still Existed...
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 04:54:44 PM »
No You would have about the same amount today that play op2 or idle.  Because OP2 is OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It suffers the same fate of all games.  Some thing new came out.

Offline Derekristow

If WON Still Existed...
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 01:22:11 AM »
Technically I'm a "new" player, I dug both Outpost games out of my dad's software box (with Mechwarrior 2 and Lords of the Realm) around 2004.  I thought they were still really good games and I had no idea how old they were.
I'm sure if it were more public it would be more popular.

Offline Leviathan

If WON Still Existed...
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 08:44:31 AM »
OP2 is plenty public, IRC is free for anyone to come and join in the games.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
If WON Still Existed...
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 01:45:42 PM »
Let's face it, even if WON was still here, the outdated graphics kill the game for the people who don't play for the gameplay and story
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names