Author Topic: Renegades Development Continues...  (Read 17390 times)

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Renegades Development Continues...
« on: July 21, 2008, 12:51:00 AM »
For the continuation of Renegades (mission 5~8) i am in need of help again.
You reward: My everlasting graditude (and that of the outpost community no doubt).

What do i need:
  • novella writer to continue upon the first 5 chapters
  • a graphics artist to draw up 4 images to accompany the novella
  • a mapper
  • someone who can design a few new structures & vehicles, in the style of OP2 (small 3D imagery, no coding abilities required)
  • for additional/arbitrary coding skills i hope to count on Hooman/Blackbox and others that are well versed in Outpost-type assembler coding.
Project will continue as soon as all positions are filled. Remember: this may take over a year to finish completely (the first 4 missions took just a year i think). We'll be going at a slow pace, and it is obvious that some parts need to be done first (like mapping) before things like coding & testing can be started.
Your "job" may not take a year, but i do need you to be available for the entire period for updates/changes/fixes so some commitment is appreciated.

During the initial period i will (try to) find and fix the bugs in the first mission set, and maybe finish up on the colony game. I also need this time to get re-aqainted with OP2 coding... i've been out of it for like 2 years now AND i need to brush up on my Visual Studio skills.
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »
Woot!

So...,  you're looking to add a few units to the game then? Most interesting. I have a few ideas on doing that, but it won't be easy.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 05:48:15 PM »
All I can say is OMG!

This is great news :)

Yay for Eddy! Nice man!

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
Woot!

So...,  you're looking to add a few units to the game then? Most interesting. I have a few ideas on doing that, but it won't be easy.
Any input would be nice.
My first thought was just to override existing units' images (for AI use only) but adding extra unit types would be a better solution. It will no doubt require heavy hacking.

[edit] B.T.W. Does a mission compile with VC++ 2008 ? coz i don't know yet...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:26:02 PM by Eddy-B »
--------------------

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 12:54:23 AM »
[edit] B.T.W. Does a mission compile with VC++ 2008 ? coz i don't know yet...
Don't see why it wouldn't. The library format is the same (or at the very least it can read the old libraries, if it is different) so it can link with OP2. The ABI is the same so there shouldn't be any problems.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 09:41:41 AM »
Most importantly, the name decoration should be the same. As long as that's the same, you could always regenerate the .lib file.

As for the new unit ideas, my forced export project was actually going to dabble in that area a little bit. I'm going to have to spend a lot of time working out the Unit class hierarchy though. That's probably going to be a big job. But, once that's done, you should just be able to derive from those classes, and override the virtual member functions. You'd also be free to add new non-virtual functions, but you wouldn't be able to override the existing non-virtual member functions in any significant way. (Your explicit calls would go where you wanted, but the game's explicit calls will still go to the old ones). Not that it should matter, since anything remotely important seems to be handled by a virtual function.

There is an issue with saving and loading games though. During saving, the virtual function table pointer in each class is converted to the unit's map_id value, and then the full unit image is written to the file. During loading, it loads the unit image, then using a temp unit record (local variable to some function), it creates a unit of the type specified by the stored map_id, and copies the vtbl pointer over from the temp unit to the loaded unit data.

If you wanted to add new units, you'd need to extend the UnitTypeInfo*[] table. It's a fixed sized structure, so you'd probably have to overwrite all references to the old table to point to a new extended table. I believe this table is part of the Sheet object in my comments file, so you'd need to watch for both global and local references to it.

Actually, the saving/loading part isn't the full deal. It also converts the Unit* pointers for the linked list into unit index values (which is probably why things like IsDead check for -1), and there are also two virtual member functions, OnSave, and OnLoad, that will convert the memory format to/from a file format. Note that after calling OnSave and writing the image, it then calls OnLoad to undo the changes and continue playing. You can use those two functions for any additional format changes that are specific to your unit type.

Offline Kurgan

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 10:27:15 PM »
Uhh... I'm finally back, and even though it's been a while since anything's been posted on this topic, I have to say that I'd more than willingly volunteer to write the next section of novella. That is, of course, provided that I'm provided the previous novellas, and informed of the plot of missions five through eight.
Also, for reference, my internet chat style has turned a bit more... Primitive since obtaining a cell phone, but I'm still fully capable of writing a complex, multi-facetted story.
In fact, if anything, my time away from the computer, and Outpost, has had hundreds of seperate positive impacts on my ability to recreate life situations in life-threatening or stressfull situations, or simply every-day life. So then. I volunteer wholeheartedly to write the new sections of novella. If you'd prefer not to trust me with it, or have someone else working on it already, that's fine. It gives me more time to write "A Second Chance".

Offline vennom

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 10:23:39 AM »
if you guys need a designers team i have a professional group here to help ^^ just say me and i call em!

they are manga designers xD but they said they handle this kind of design too >.>

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 07:50:41 AM »
just say me and i call em!

"ME"

:P

Anyway, i'm not sure you are familiar with the OP2 graphics... they are 2D models (actually 3D flattened), with the transparent parts filled up with orange. Currently i have no time to find an example, so if someone would be so kind as to post one ( a vehicvle or building).
--------------------

Offline vennom

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 08:19:12 AM »
ill find examples and tell them what to do ;)

buty first i have to find at last a model o.o"

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 02:17:15 PM »
Hi Eddy

I am kinda happy that you are finally continuing this. So, here is your mapper. Actually, I still have some half-finished version of the mission 5 map lieing around somewhere.

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 03:24:19 PM »
lol @ th300 ...
then get your german @ss goin  :P

(if i have a usable map, with the hillsides done, i can start coding & testing the mission -- don't worry, it'll take me probly a few weeks to get "into it" again :rolleyes: )
--------------------

Offline Kurgan

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 08:05:28 PM »
Ah, I see the pattern here! You're biased against writers!  :P
I'd even just be happy to proof read what you have! I'm a fair critic and know how to read intricacies of any given story. At least acknowledge me with a "f*ck off, you!" if you don't want me to do anything!  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:06:01 PM by Kurgan »

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 05:16:42 PM »
Kurgan, i hope you're just being sarcastic....

First thing for you would be the PLAY Renagedes (and read the novella, an prologue, plus 4 chapters)
--------------------

Offline Kurgan

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 12:51:45 PM »
Wouldn't have used all the smilies if I wasn't being sarcastic! That's the only reason I use 'em! So you know what I'm thinking!  :P
But anyway, I'll see if I can't get Renegades working on here. I'll just copy and paste the novella onto a notepad document. I remember the general plot, but not much of the particulars about it. I'm not the best OP2 player, I barely got through the first few missions the first time I played, and the mission with all the lava beat the crap out of me, so I never got the last section of novella.
If I'm trying to write additional story, that's a really big snag. An entire part is just... Left out. Picking up someone elses work without the entire thing to work on is suicide for the story... Unless you have the same person continue writing.

Update: Holy shniezers that's well written! It'll be a neat little challenge to follow it up in a similar, if not improved style... If I'm chosen for the role, of course.

Update 2: Sorry about the sarcasm. You're not used to my style of forum writing and chatspeaking. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Update 3: Oy! The third mission has just dominated me in every way possible. So I'm not even on the last one before it kills me.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 03:24:53 PM by Kurgan »

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 03:19:56 PM »
Wouldn't have used all the smilies if I wasn't being sarcastic!
Update 2: Sorry about the sarcasm. You're not used to my style of forum writing and chatspeaking. I'll keep that in mind in the future.
hm... must be my age...  :lol:

Update 3: Oy! The third mission has just dominated me in every way possible. So I'm not even on the last one before it kills me.
The novella is well written, i agree! I enjoy reading it without even playing the game.
And i'll get you the entire thing in RTF format.

BTW: you can try playing it on easy level. I'm not such a good player myself, and i can barely win on normal level (i only added "Insane" for those seasoned players you'll find out here - they know who i'm talking about)
--------------------

Offline Kurgan

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 06:25:55 PM »
Unfortunately, I AM playing on easy! You weren't kidding when you said it was for the more hardcore among us.
I am not Ninja Gaiden saavy. Impossible bosses are not my forte, and I prefer those sort of "Eden Population" style colony games, where you simply build and build, and as long as you don't research lasers Plymouth leaves you alone.
I hope you manage to get the last guy who wrote it to write again. While that sentence hurts my professional pride a little bit, it's totally true. Whoever wrote it was amazing.

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »
All hail gwyned

The current novella can be read online here.

Kurgan: you may find this posting helpfull: SPOILER ALERT
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:44:19 PM by Eddy-B »
--------------------

Offline Kurgan

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 10:41:23 PM »
Thanks. Studying for tests has taken a tiny bit of my time... Plus Spore. Incredibly inventive game. Thanks for the tips, and the novella. I'll get to reading.

Offline fallenleader

• http://www.fallenangelsclan.com
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 11:21:36 AM »
(thumbsup) looks like this project is moving along. i can't wait.

Offline RailgunTiger

• http://www.bain-of-ganondorf.deviantart.com
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 07:40:57 AM »
All this makes me indescribably happy.  :lol:  
You can't spell 'slaughter' without 'laughter'.

Offline Gagagigo3

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 02:00:24 PM »
it was about time  :D  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 02:00:41 PM by Gagagigo3 »
Extinction is just the beginning.

Check this out, it rocks

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 03:05:38 PM »
/me slaps Gagagigo3 for sayin that !
--------------------

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 07:05:55 PM »
Hey eddy!  If you still need help with anything, send me a PM.  I have some maps I haven't finished yet in a .rar somewhere, and my drawing has improved a bit(though, can't say much for my coloring =\)
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Kurgan

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 08:31:58 PM »
It suddenly occurs to me that I never actually got an answer to my initial inquiry. I'm available if you need me to write, and just tell me if you don't! The suspense is killing me!