Author Topic: The Reason Earth Cant Be Revisited Found  (Read 3274 times)

Offline DarekStar

The Reason Earth Cant Be Revisited Found
« on: July 17, 2008, 04:04:16 AM »
found this serfing on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0ruI7KOZg&feature=related

Vulcans hammer + earth = that ^
-Darek

Caution this user refuses to spell check or even try and spell corectly unless posting a story.

so bare with him

Offline Moley

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 06:18:40 PM »
/me hiding under desk in fetal pose
seriously now..........
ummmmmmm.........
we're doomed. :blink:  
I HATE SPELLING!!!!!!
if i spell something or screw up grammer,
ignore it or tell me if you dont understand what i typed.

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:48:55 PM »
Don't worry, it will be slow and painful :)

and i will give you a cookie if you live throu it
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Moley

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 06:55:16 PM »
not random at all,
must stop looking at it..........
i can just about see my house being evaporated in seconds....
ouch hurts to think about it......
I HATE SPELLING!!!!!!
if i spell something or screw up grammer,
ignore it or tell me if you dont understand what i typed.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 09:14:24 AM »
oh look, an new moon-formation event for the earth.  That vid was stupid in so many ways that I can't even begin to think how to list them.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 02:26:08 PM »
I like using a sentence with a colon at the end then use numbers, like this:
1. Hahaha
2. Just No
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:37:03 AM »
huh,,,I use those same statements whenever someone around me says something dirty :P
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 12:50:51 PM »
some what accurate but i have my doubts any thing that large would get that close to us and not just become a new moon.

besides the tidal forces of that object would cause problems for every one before it even got to earth.  and some thing only 4 to 8 miles across is enough to cause global death so that thing would actually end up blowing a giant chunk out of the planet and making it no so sphere shape as the asteroid whats left of it would actually become part of the earth. and what every ejected in to space would be rather large comparable to a normal meteorite. but there are ways of stop a object from hitting us.

using nukes to cause a truster effect on one of its craters
kinetic devices that basicly tosses peices of roid off into space using that reaction to slowly move the roid
and the one i like just solar sails

all of which would work if the roid was detected in enough time if not your all f***ed

i will live because i am Freeza-CII

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 04:20:04 PM »
1 the original vid of that was set to Pink Floyd's Great Gig in the Sky, much better imo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvCUmeoHpw

2 according to the Op2 storyline, the asteroid was small enough to be fragmented by a nuke, that puts an upper limit on the size of the asteroid, and its destructive capability's.

The size limit of the asteroid appears to be the same as the one that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago (Op1 states that it was a million megatons, which is roughly the same as the Chicxulub impact).

Such an impact wouldn't have would not have reduced earth to a molten sphere as in the video.  The area around the impact would be sterilized by pyroclastic events, and tsunami's would be extremely devastating, and there would be other geological effects.  But, the main killer would be the dust that got kicked up into the air from the impact, it would linger for years choking off the suns rays.  This stops the food chain at its source, the plants die, the herbivores die, the carnivores die, and that is what causes the great extinctions.

That also leads to an interesting thought, according to the Op2 storyline, at the time of the impact humanity had the technology for cryogenic stasis, and cool fusion reactors to power them for long periods of time.  Due to that fact, do you really believe that they would save only 200 people, and the other 6-7 billion would just accept their fate?  Hell no, you can bet your ass that every single bomb shelter across the globe would have these stasis pods packed like sardines.  The humans wait for the dust to settle, reawaken, plant their stored crops, and rebuild society.

It took around 100 years for the Conestoga to arrive at New Terra, the dust would only last 1/20 of that time, by the time the Conestoga reached its detonation humanity has probably rebuilt itself a good portion back to its former glory (or it could be one of those post apocalyptic settings that's been done to death).  

Regardless, the Colonists the colonists of New Terra would NOT be the last surviving humans, but that loophole kinda takes away a good portion of the Zing of the storyline, which is probably why it was left out.

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/ is a good guide to the effects of different impacts.
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 12:19:30 AM »
Beta they would all hide in Vaults and thats how fallout begins the whole fallout story is a line its really a off shoot of op2