Author Topic: Source Code?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline debio

Source Code?
« on: June 05, 2008, 10:31:29 PM »
I bought a copy of Outpost 2 back when it was released, and I really enjoy playing it. I stumbled onto this site recently, and after seeing the projects that go on here, I'm inclined to ask if Sierra/Dynamix ever released the source code for Outpost 2.
Are you just trying to put changes into the executable directly?
Was part of the source released? Have you been decompiling?

This puzzles me because no actual source code is mentioned anywhere, but I don't see how you could be discussing such major changes to the game without having access to the code.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:32:38 PM by debio »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Source Code?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 02:35:12 AM »
No. No source code has ever been released.

We use a number of methods to make these changes. Some of which are hex edited patches to the exe, and others are some form of DLL injection. Then of course there's the usual data file editing.

Offline debio

Source Code?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 03:20:59 PM »
The next logical question is, who owns the game at this point?
Is it uncopyrighted, was it gifted to this website, or what?
I've never seen a game that was just abandoned to the community, AFAIK some corporate body has always maintained some sort of ownership...

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Source Code?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »
This site is totally unofficial. Companies generally don't just give away stuff they own. They do sometimes turn a blind eye however. Such as to fan sites that love their game, but aren't causing problems to their business. I suspect that's somewhat the status here. (Fansites are technically supposedly illegal, and an infringment on copyrights or something).

Oh, and we've gotten a few e-mails and such from some of the game creators along the lines of "hey, nice site", but naturally by the people that made it, and not by the people/entity that owns it.