Poll

If OPU sold OP2 merchandise, would you buy it?

Yes
17 (60.7%)
No
11 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: OP2 Merchandise?  (Read 8580 times)

Offline Sirbomber

OP2 Merchandise?
« on: April 23, 2008, 01:46:34 PM »
I'm talking hats, shirts, etc. Think of them as Impulse Items.  ;)
Nothing extravagant, unless somebody is generous enough to donate an original OP2 CD and somebody wants to buy it as a collector's item.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 02:45:05 PM »
I would buy if I had a PayPal account, or something similiar :(
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Hidiot

OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:03:42 PM »
How much would the price go? Might make an extra buck  :heh:  
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 03:06:47 PM »
Price? I don't know. We'll say "enough to be profitable, but not too expensive".
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Leviathan

OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 06:19:39 PM »
op2 ftw!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 11:38:47 AM »
LOL You guys better look at copy right laws first.  Get every one in deep s***.

Plus i could think up a couple items to sell the almost nill costomer base.

Offline Sirbomber

OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 02:21:04 PM »
I think we're past that point Freeza.
Besides, this is just hypothetical. I'm too lazy to do anything like this.

Offline Mez

OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 06:03:26 PM »

Plus i could think up a couple items to sell the almost nill costomer base.
We just advertise outpost-universe T-shirts etc, rather than outpost 2

What we actually sell is a different matter

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 04:36:43 PM »
that will work

Offline DarekStar

OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 11:38:05 PM »
hah i can see a hole set of outpost 2 theamed toys like

outpost 2 micromashibes

or outpost 2 playsets
 and ofcourse op2 plushies
-Darek

Caution this user refuses to spell check or even try and spell corectly unless posting a story.

so bare with him

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 01:33:33 AM »
Op2 the card game

ganna need a whole s*** load of mic lynx cards and the sticky cards they will actually be sticky

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »
Is the original that rare? I have it o.0
Checkout my website, op2rules.net. It has free games, software, and snappy guides. Oh and did I mention the uber friendly community forums?
Life to me is a simple game that I utterly win at.
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 11:58:37 AM »
I'd stick to OPU stuff to prevent any chance of drawing attention to any copyright infringement we've already taken on.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Derekristow

OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 01:37:32 AM »
I'm not sure if it is copyright infringement if Sierra has effectively disowned the game.

Offline Mez

OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 07:32:01 AM »
I'm not sure if it is copyright infringement if Sierra has effectively disowned the game.
Effectively isn't enough.

They still legally own all the copyrights etc to it

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 06:11:03 PM »
Under US law (which applies to us; our servers are located in the US) the copyright doesn't expire for close to 120 years if I remember correctly. (This used to be 75 -- it got extended in the last few years). After this the work falls into the public domain.

In the case of using the word "OUTPOST," this falls under trademark law (which I don't know as much about, not that I ever claimed to be an expert on any of these subjects -- you'd have to ask a lawyer), as OUTPOST is a registered trademark, as well as a registered copyright.

Go to the USPTO website and search for serial number 74344515 (on some really crappy, hard to use system they have called TESS -- government websites -groan-). Before you think "oh great, registered August 9 1994" click on the TDR button at top (it's a series of blue buttons with text that doesn't line up) and notice that a picture of the Outpost 2 CD jacket was received by the USPTO on July 17, 2007. (Click on the "exhibit").

Interestingly enough, Cyberian Outpost, the owner company of Outpost.com before Frys Electronics bought it, brought a case against Sierra's Outpost trademark (there isn't much detail, click TTAB status at the top -- perhaps they wanted to "acquire" the Outpost trademark? I'm not certain how these things are carried out).

The copyright information can be accessed in a similar way. (Go to the US copyright office website). Search for registration number PA0000680808.

In any case this shows that the trademark / copyright is still legally defensible. It's not likely that any action would be taken but it's more likely if you are selling items that have the word Outpost in the name, in reference to the game. I'm not totally sure how well Outpost Universe would even fly on a tshirt (considering the content of our site, someone would have a hard time believing that the word Outpost isn't linked to the game).

As such I feel that OPU should not endorse any kind of OP2 merchandise. If someone wants to sell OP2 merchandise, they get to deal with the repercussions individually if Vivendi wants to take them to court for trademark infringement. OPU shouldn't be getting dragged into this.

Offline Sirbomber

OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 10:40:37 PM »
Wow, what a large response.
You're all aware this was a joke? C'mon, who would actually buy any of the crap we made?

Offline Hidiot

OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 03:54:40 AM »
Anyone who would have been interested  :D

Probably not enough to make an industry or major profit... especially because you have to advertise a product for it to be known to more than an enclosed circle with leakages... and that's expensive.  

Offline fallenleader

• http://www.fallenangelsclan.com
OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 07:52:06 PM »
cafepress, OpU merchandise. OpU isnt registered. and then there is always asking nicely for permission. The outpost uni. forum has a nice little logo, the merchandise is cheap, can be sold for profit or hosting expenses and a lot of forums if asked nicely will allow you to advertise there for free, so long as you don't spam.

I am in the process of designing custom car window stickers some will even get copyrighter to save my designs.

Hoping i could be helpful, it can be a serious topic.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 08:38:18 PM »
For the reasons already mentioned I don't think we or you could do that, selling stuff where you used the Outpost logo (or even the name "Outpost" in the context of the video game) could land you (and OPU) in some trademark troubles (after all OUTPOST is a registered trademark).

Keep in mind that OPU wants no connection to commercial merchandise for these reasons. That said, it would be preferred that anything you want to make not bear the name "Outpost Universe", "OPU", any of the OPU URLs, etc.

Offline Nynx

• http://on1-k.deviantart.com/
OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 05:30:57 PM »
can i have a stuffed laser lynx?

and a CC pillow!?  ;)  

Offline Hidiot

OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 05:45:06 PM »
I'd prefer an Eden SF chair :))

Offline fallenleader

• http://www.fallenangelsclan.com
OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 06:42:56 PM »
hmm, i was under the impression that the administrator or some higher up was debating creating merchandise, so was making suggestions that might be smart, also stating precaution as to avoid trouble.  It would be a PITA  and individuals can make as they wish as long as they keep from printing anything related to opu, just precaution of infringment if they copy outpost graphics or yes, the name.

companies don't normally see personal items as a threat, only things being sold or traded.

but closing up, after looking a little, i agree, completely avoid anything related to outpost. unless they open the game to public. stupid to hold on to nothing, but cost them nothing to keep it for themselves.

one thing you can do, is make similar items, not a copy but space oriented. right? can't copyright all space oriented items. or tell me destroy all humans now owns all saucer shaped space craft... they also use cows in the game, lots of games use cows.

Edit: i don't have anything else related to say, i'll just keep watching everyone else discuss in here. bye.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:43:46 PM by fallenleader »

Offline Moley

OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 02:02:40 PM »
Great beat me to the idea........
i wanted to sell tee shirts with the colony logos on it....
but if it's copyrighted......    :heh:  
I HATE SPELLING!!!!!!
if i spell something or screw up grammer,
ignore it or tell me if you dont understand what i typed.

Offline Exile

OP2 Merchandise?
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 05:26:22 AM »
OPU Introducing BLIGHT CEREAL! (Warning this product may cause death and may be a factor in your planet becoming uninhabitible)
"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains save both."

"The best form of welfare for the troops is first-rate training."

''Erwin Rommel The Desert Fox''