Author Topic: Outpost 2 Crashes My Computer  (Read 3523 times)

Offline arcus_pluvius

Outpost 2 Crashes My Computer
« on: March 22, 2008, 02:19:55 PM »
I recently found my CD-ROM of Outpost 2 which I played as a teenager.  I tried running it on my laptop (brand new two years ago, running Windows XP Home) and OP2 caused massive full system crashes.  I downloaded the version off this site today in the hope of fixing the problem but the same thing happened.  The error log I get gives me the following information which means absolutely nothing to me:

BCCode : 100000d1     BCP1 : 00000000     BCP2 : 00000002     BCP3 : 00000008
BCP4 : 00000000     OSVer : 5_1_2600     SP : 2_0     Product : 768_1    

C:\DOCUME~1\Sam\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER571e.dir00\Mini032208-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Sam\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER571e.dir00\sysdata.xml

I'm sorry if this errorhas been raised before in this forum.  I did a search which pulled up nothing.

Hope someone can help me.
Many thanks.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 03:18:54 PM »
Sounds new to me, and I have no idea how to help you. That error info doesn't seem particularly useful. When does it happen?

Offline arcus_pluvius

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 07:10:55 AM »
It is totally random.  I can't spot a pattern at all.  It has happened once or twice when I'm just scrolling about even...

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:14:59 AM »
My untrained eye indicates it might be a minimap related problem. Just making an observation.

Other possibilities include compatibility issues (though not sure between what)
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline arcus_pluvius

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 01:11:45 PM »
I tried it again just now.  I started a new colony game.  Everything seemed fine.  I was clicking in the overview map to move the screen around then I tried scrolling down, i.e. outside the area originally shown on the minimap, by just moving my cursor to the edge of the screen and letting it roll, and the damn thing crashed again.  I didn't see the blue screen error message properly AGAIN I'm afraid.  There were quite a few words joined with underscores...  something like greater_not_equal or some such nonsense at the end.

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 01:28:22 PM »
It might just be the minimap. Seems like there's something that doesn't like scrolling over the minimap boundaries.

All I can say is try not to scroll too close to the boundaries and see if it crashes again.
I'm not highly technical so I can't really help you further than that...
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline arcus_pluvius

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 06:02:43 PM »
Just to let you know that I tred it again, not scrolling over the minimap boundaries and managed to finish a game no problems.  Thanks for the help, guys.  :)

If anyone else feels like chipping in with ideas of what is wrong with my minimap and how I might fix it, I'd be most appreciative.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 12:01:13 AM »
Are you running at a very high (like 1600x1200 or greater) resolution and maximizing the game? I believe it has some issues with that.

And if this is a blue screen (not a normal game crash), you could be having driver issues (seems like it was an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error). Make sure all your drivers are up-to-date.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 12:01:20 AM by BlackBox »

Offline arcus_pluvius

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 03:21:40 PM »
I am maximising the game window and my screen is at 1280 x 800.

That's exactly the error that some up!  Blue screen and that message.  How can I check/update my drivers?

Offline DarekStar

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 01:56:48 PM »
Depends on what type of driver it is find out and google that how i update mine.
-Darek

Caution this user refuses to spell check or even try and spell corectly unless posting a story.

so bare with him

Offline Admiral S3

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 08:13:04 PM »
1stly some of the newer missions included in the package thats downloadable have some sort of bug (No I have not traced it, nor am I going to I just do not use the minimap when playing them.).... the older original missions do not. Sadly the bug effects Win XP SP2/SP3 and Vista systems to a great degree.

As to the issues facing your laptop.... the original should have caused no issues. Other then adjusting your screen settings down some to compensate for the fact that the game was designed for a square monitor and does'nt seem to react well with being "pulled" into an elongated shape.

Deep beneath the planets surface ancient power systems spool up. Long forgotten, the citzens of the venerated Âlpha Ðefense League begin to wake from thier long sleep.

At long last the Admiral has returned.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 08:33:37 PM »
I had the same problem on an old Win2k laptop, but it was with all 2D games, not just OP2.  Actually, OP2 was the most stable of them all, crashing only if I'd scroll without selecting a unit or building first.  Other games would just crash before they had fully loaded.  Anyways, my conclusion was crappy laptop design (AKA hardware or software problems).

Edit: Oh, and some new missions might cause OP2 to crash, but not your OS!  Of course, I should mention that your sanity is never guaranteed.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:35:15 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials