Author Topic: Zesty  (Read 7182 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Zesty
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:44:36 PM »
I've been working on this little thing for awhile, and finally decided to show it off...
I call it "Zesty" and it's an automatic tech generator for Outpost 2. This means no more mucking around with crazy OP2 tech language. In theory. In practice, upgrades are just for show at this point, meaning you can only upgrade three units, and the upgrades you can apply are limited. So if you absolutely HAVE to have something, you'll have to do the upgrades part yourself.  You'll also need to look up the tech IDs of any prereqs you want (though I plan to have Zesty read an input techtree at some point and provide them to the user in a drop-down list).

One last piece of bad news: I made it in VB.

Hopefully it will work for you all. Give me feedback or suffer great pain.

Download Zesty Alpha v0.00000000314

Edit: You'll probably want to read the readme before you start fiddling with Zesty.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 10:45:48 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Brazilian Fan

Zesty
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 06:28:41 AM »
That's nice, although the interface needs a lot of improvements :)

Do you plan to release the source?

Offline Sirbomber

Zesty
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 07:04:40 AM »
Yes, I know the interface sucks. I'm working on it.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Leviathan

Zesty
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 08:39:09 AM »
Keep up the good work and post the source! :D

Offline Leviathan

Zesty
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 11:45:37 AM »
Can you post the source code please.  

Offline Sirbomber

Zesty
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 04:20:58 PM »
No.  Stop asking.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Zesty
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 10:32:47 PM »
Hehe.

Btw, some programmer guy dropped by today and was asking about it as he was interested in the project idea. Believe it or not, that was not some random post by Lev. :P

Offline Leviathan

Zesty
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 04:22:13 AM »
No.  Stop asking.
Why not? Would be much better if anyone could work on it.  

Offline Sirbomber

Zesty
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 08:51:14 AM »
It's on hold until MT2 is done.  I think we can all agree MT2 is more important than this.

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Zesty
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 09:44:49 AM »
It's on hold until MT2 is done.  I think we can all agree MT2 is more important than this.
that's wrong, cause if you release it, everyone can make his/her version of the techtree that suit him/her.

or do you want to leave MT2 unchallenged?
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Sirbomber

Zesty
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 12:05:28 PM »
You caught me.  MT2 is a secret mind-control device I created to rule the world and the only way it can be stopped is by making an MT3.

Offline Hidiot

Zesty
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 12:20:42 PM »
Anyone can make another multitek just fine. It'll just be laborious with the editing of the text file.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Zesty
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 03:40:54 PM »
You caught me.  MT2 is a secret mind-control device I created to rule the world and the only way it can be stopped is by making an MT3.
It doesn't have to be necessarily a MT3
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Zesty
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 01:58:53 AM »
No.  Stop asking.
Why not? Would be much better if anyone could work on it.
I don't know about you, but if I invest a significant chunk of personal time working on some project, I don't always want to just throw the source out for the world to take/copy/steal/whatever (and yes, I have had some issues with this kind of stuff in the past, where people have gotten my code, modified it significantly, and then refused to give out the changes to the code).

Not everyone wants to do this. Don't pressure someone to do it if they don't want to.

Another thing I might add is the fact that one person working on the code (for small/medium projects such as this) will probably end up leading to better quality control. (If you let just anyone start making changes, and you aren't using some kind of version control to keep track of everything, you're gonna end up with a mess).

Finally, if someone releases code, they will inevitably be forced to answer questions like "why won't this compile" because someone out there wants to compile it from scratch (but doesn't quite understand how to work the compiler).

Offline Sonnebahn

Zesty
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 02:21:08 PM »
Hehe.

Btw, some programmer guy dropped by today and was asking about it as he was interested in the project idea. Believe it or not, that was not some random post by Lev. :P
I can see I am already making waves.  Hopefully I will be able to help more than hinder, just as long as more of my time doesn't get stolen for work and family.  I already have such a short supply for my own fun projects (like OP2 tech tree tools).

Offline evecolonycamander

Zesty
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 11:01:22 PM »
Not Found

The requested URL /mcshay/Files/Zesty.rar was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                      that's bad isn't it
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Sirbomber

Zesty
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 12:23:24 PM »
This project is two years old.  Learn to edit the techs by hand.