Author Topic: Rebuilding The Wiki  (Read 40225 times)

Offline Eleri at'Xalien

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2009, 09:37:31 AM »
:blink: Those are truly amazing. Exactly the sort of thing that helps conceptualize the tech. tree.

And, no worries about the wiki, I set up one of my own just to play around, if anything comes of it, I'll work with whoever to get it transferred here, if nothing comes of it, then you won't hear about it again.  :P

And, Hidiot, I must disagree, while learning through trial and error through the Campaigns may be a useful "character building" experience, being able to understand the flow of technology and units and buildings and upgrades that are received in an overview format also helps with understanding.

But, I believe I have carried that point far too afield from the original wiki, so, may we agree to just to disagree on the best method of learning the tech. tree?

Offline Hidiot

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2009, 01:41:30 PM »
Meh, I'm not one to completely exclude other possibilities. Just sharing my personal experience.

I guess the reason we don't really have a wiki is that with the low number of new players, it's not that hard to help each individually (preferably over IRC though).
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Moley

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2009, 04:15:31 PM »
i found some where a cool looking tech tree,
i will try to find the links.....

eden
plymouth

yea!!
I HATE SPELLING!!!!!!
if i spell something or screw up grammer,
ignore it or tell me if you dont understand what i typed.

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2009, 04:19:36 PM »
Uhhh, yeah... Those are the ones I linked to...

Anyways, we're getting really off-topic now.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Moley

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2009, 09:39:27 AM »
sorry.... din't see that far up.....
any way, why cant you just allow people to add stuff and just delete it if it dosnt apply?

I HATE SPELLING!!!!!!
if i spell something or screw up grammer,
ignore it or tell me if you dont understand what i typed.

Offline Spikerocks101

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2009, 09:48:06 AM »
see, that would be logical, and were not that smart.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hidiot

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2009, 09:53:22 AM »
Spell, for once?

We'd be lucky if even 5 people were using that wiki. Why put effort into something that maybe 5 people use?

Only should there be really nothing better to do would one actually do that.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline ducktape

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2009, 10:36:46 PM »
5 people may use it now, but if a curious internet traveler wanders in and see's a nice wiki that presents the game as it is, they could keep interested in the game and come play or mod. If they can't find anything due to information being scattered about, then they could just as easily go their merry way about the series of tubes.

If anything, the main page should be redone. Perhaps the left side in the green panel, have "player" resources, such as tech trees, unit information, game storyline (which could just as easily be taken from wikipedia or include a link, easy work there), etc. The right side or blue panel, make it a set of "modding" resources, such as how to edit things within the game, links to the mapper, game, mods, etc. And of course on the right, also wiki-related development things.

Just a suggestion on how to present the information in an easy and upfront manner to people who happen upon the site as well as people who disappear and come back. I know I'm still struggling with figuring out tilesets, as I can't seem to extract the native OP2 files, so I can speak from experience here being a community newbie.

Offline Leviathan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2009, 05:02:26 AM »
Would be great to have more info on the wiki and work done on it :)

Offline Brazilian Fan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2009, 02:53:51 PM »
Damn, it's been a long time since I last heard of my beloved OP2. Glad to see this community still stands :D. It's been what, a whole year? The only thing that has changed is that OP3D thingy <_< (by the way, congrats Celledor). At least we got half-a-dozen new members :blink:.
Anyway, reading through the forum I found this thread that's been around longer than my absence (not that's a big deal), but to my surprise the wiki is still the same! Had some free time and got inspired by this:
5 people may use it now, but if a curious internet traveler wanders in and see's a nice wiki that presents the game as it is, they could keep interested in the game and come play or mod. If they can't find anything due to information being scattered about, then they could just as easily go their merry way about the series of tubes.
which I totally agree.
Before anyone suggests that I do it myself (I'm looking at you Sirbomber), I started rewriting the main Outpost 2 page, but to my utter disbelief, the edit page isn't loading, not even displaying an error :o.
So, I decided to post here for reviews (MediaWiki format):

'''Outpost 2: Divided Destiny''' is a Real Times Strategy (RTS) game developed by [[Dynamix]] and released in 1997 by [[Sierra Entertainment]]. Outpost 2 is a 'spiritual' sequel to the original [[Outpost]], reusing and enhancing the storyline and some game mechanincs, but adding new gameplay elements such as combat and a more narrative style. Unlike similar games, Outpost 2 is a [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_science_fiction hard science fiction] game.

==Plot==
<center>''“Extinction is not an option.”''
-Captain of ''[[Conestoga]]''</center>

As a massive asteroid called ''[[Vulcan's Hammer]]'' collides on Earth, the gigantic starship ''[[Conestoga]]'' flees with the last of the human race. Survivors are put into [[stasis]] while ''[[Savant|Savants]]'', intelligent computer systems, scan the skies for an appropriate world. After almost a century, as resources reach a critical level, some crewmembers are taken out of stasis to make a critical decision, continue the search, and risk no suitable planet to be found, condemning everyone to certain death in the void of space, or go to a dry, Mars-like planet, only marginally suitable for human survival.

They chose to land. ''[[New Terra]]'', as they called it, was dead in almost every possible way. No geological activity, almost no atmosphere, cold and dry. Even though, it was their new home.The original colony was simply called ''"Outpost"'', built from what they could salvage from the landers and the Conestoga when it crashed on the surface of New Terra. But, as it grew, the survivors started calling it by a new name: ''[[Eden]]''. A time of limited prosperity came, as the colonists struggled to survive in the inospid environment, but internal conflict forced almost half of the survivors to flee and to found another colony.

''[[Plymouth]]'' had a different philosofy. Instead of trying to tame New Terra, by tansforming it in another Earth as Eden was trying to do, Plymouth wanted to live in harmony with the planet. Initially, both colonies tried to reconciliate, but when Eden announces it's plan to [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming terraform] New Terra, Plymouth shuts down the only communications satellite available, and both sides go on living separate lives.

Years passed, and in a meeting with the majority of Eden citizens, the chairman announces a breakthrough that allowed New Terra to be terraformed not in centuries, but in a single lifetime by using a genetic altered bug, the ''[[Blight]]''. The bug was more successful than anyone could've predicted, and in an accident, the laboratory where the meeting was being held exploded, killing almost everyone inside and unleashing the Blight. At the same time, ''Mt. Goddard'', an old and inactive volcano, erupted, it's lava flowing torwards Plymouth, built at it's base.

The situation has become critical, but, ''extinction is not an option''.

==Gameplay==
Unlike other RTS games, Outpost 2 is mostly focused towards colony building and management, but combat is still very important, specially in multiplayer matches.
===Colony Management===
====Morale====
: ''Main article: [[Morale]]''
The most important resource of the game is morale. It defines birth and death rate of the colonists, and so the size of you colony since you need colonists to maintain your builings, production rates and research rates. It can fluctuate as the game progess based on several factors, including housing capabilities, food production and war casualties.
====Research====
: ''Main article: [[Research]]''
Outpost 2 have an unique research tree and system. Most research topics available are intrinsically tied to the storyline, with a few 'generic' topics. Also, all topics researched are permanent as the campaign progesses. As in the real world, research is very important for successful strike and defence forces, and for the development of the colony. Because of this, research is one of the main objectives in campaing games, and can be decisive in multiplayer games.
====Ore====
: ''Main article: [[Ore]]''
Even as not important as morale and research are, you cannot actually ''build'' something out of the blue, you need ore. Similar to Tiberium in Command and Conquer, Crystal and Gas in Starcraft and Money in countless games, ore is what you use to build, and it comes in two flavors, ''Common Ore'', representing commonly found elements such as iron and aluminum, and ''Rare Ore'', representing rare elements, such as gold and platinum. Ore is obtained from mines and have to be processed before use.
===Combat===
====Weapons and Tactics====
No combat units in Outpost 2 are manned, but controlled by a remote computer. This is important to know because colonists can be classified as resources, which without your colony cannot funtion. The only way to kill enemy colonists is by destroying a manned building.

There are three classes of [[Combat_chassis|combat vehicles]] and eleven types of [[Weapons|weapons]], giving a total of 33 possible combinations plus the [[Arachnids|spider and scorpion]], avaiable only to Plymouth. Not all weapons are made to do direct damage, but to be used in conjuction with another weapon type, giving the player a wide range of possible tactics.
====Super Weapons====
Unlike traditional RTS (yes, Outpost 2 ''is not'' a traditional RTS), there are nothing like super weapons. The only weapon that can be considered as a super weapon 'prototype' is the EMP rocked, obtained by the end of the Plymouth campaing. Still, it's expensive to create and produce, and it doesn't do any permanent damage. This is explained by the setting: Eden and Plymouth battling for survival, and not annihilation.

I still want to add more content, such as images. Most of the pages it links to don't yet exist (at least I hope so), that I'll write after this page is ready.

If you want to see how this page looks like without all formatting characters, go here, paste the quoted text and click 'Show preview'.

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2009, 02:56:07 PM »
I started rewriting the main Outpost 2 page, but to my utter disbelief, the edit page isn't loading, not even displaying an error :o.
Yes, that's because BlackBox disabled editing.  I've only mentioned it 148 or so times so I could understand how you might have missed that.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Brazilian Fan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2009, 03:01:34 PM »
Yes, that's because BlackBox disabled editing.  I've only mentioned it 148 or so times so I could understand how you might have missed that.
Must've missed that. It happens when you're reading an year's worth of new posts :heh:.

Offline Brazilian Fan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2009, 05:59:23 PM »
So, no one cares about the Wiki, right?

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2009, 06:30:02 PM »
Nope.

Offline Brazilian Fan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2009, 06:58:05 PM »
Nope.
Though so...
Sad actually. A good Wiki would help getting more members.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:59:18 PM by Brazilian Fan »

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2009, 07:19:05 PM »
Well, feel free to setup your own; if it's any good maybe Hooman can change the links.

Offline Spikerocks101

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2009, 11:24:59 PM »
I would put my 2 cents in if there was a wiki i could edit. only problem would be the amount of spam bots, like we have right now.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2009, 11:29:02 PM »
Spam bots can't use the wiki if you authorize each member.

Offline Spikerocks101

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2009, 12:02:01 AM »
I'm taking a shot at making a wiki. I will show you it later tomorowo.

Heres what I got so far, Wiki
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:21:10 AM by Spikerocks101 »
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Brazilian Fan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2009, 07:05:26 AM »

Saying you haven't done anything yet would be the same. No content whatsoever.

Offline Spikerocks101

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2009, 07:29:31 AM »
well, i did it for like 10 minutes, then went to sleep... i will work on it today.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline AmIMeYet

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2009, 08:46:57 AM »
Yeah another wiki would be good. (Except for the fact that it's called "Outpost-Unvierse" XD.

Also; I hate the ads.

We could upload wiki software to a free host, and start from there. That way we have access to the source, and can make backups and whatnot, and don't have any ads.

Also.. I can't seem to find the reason for the old wiki being closed. Was this because of the fact that it needed to be hosted on the OPU server, or to it not being maintained or something? (In wich case a new wiki could possibly be uploaded here aswell)

Offline Spikerocks101

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2009, 09:19:34 AM »
Hooman asked me to name it "Outpost2" to keep things simple (war origanly called Outpost-Universe). Now my exam is done for the day, I'm going to begin work. If any one wants to join, your welecome too.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline AmIMeYet

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2009, 09:24:12 AM »
Well.. I'll maybe help (..though I'm not really experienced with OP2; just started again last week..).

But I still want to ask you: Why not host it ourself (free host[/ this server?]), and use free Wiki software (like DokuWiki?) ? (not mediawiki, as I heard that mediawiki's bad back-end was one of the reasons for not using this old wiki anyhow)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:25:11 AM by AmIMeYet »

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2009, 09:37:28 AM »

Saying you haven't done anything yet would be the same. No content whatsoever.
Owned.  I have underestimated you, Brazilian Fan.

Also.. I can't seem to find the reason for the old wiki being closed. Was this because of the fact that it needed to be hosted on the OPU server, or to it not being maintained or something? (In wich case a new wiki could possibly be uploaded here aswell)

Part of it was because it had no useful information, was never used, rarely updated, and was mostly a dumping ground for crap.  Lack of organization was also a factor, and the ability of almost anyone to come in and edit it willy-nilly contributed to a lot of the problems.  For further info: Outpost: Colony Search (I think this is the page that convinced BlackBox to shut the wiki down).