Author Topic: Microsoft Wants Kids To Have Home Server Too  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Leviathan

Microsoft Wants Kids To Have Home Server Too
« on: January 10, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:55:25 PM »
haha. I've seen that one before -- apparently the book isn't for serious (too bad?). The idea is though.

It's a heavily stripped down version of Windows Server 2003 I guess.

MS set up a site at www.stayathomeserver.com.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 02:56:30 PM by BlackBox »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 07:53:49 PM »
I did try and install the home server on a VM but it didnt work out that great. It installed ok but the home server program wouldnt work. Got screenshots somewhere.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 08:13:04 PM »
Lol. "How does it get there? ..."

That is so weird.

Offline zhukant

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 11:18:07 PM »
Hahaha this is amazing XDD Thanks!!
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 07:35:07 AM »
Windows: "We are the windows. Resistance is futile. We come in your homes, and digitalize everything. Your files will be assimilated and copied to Windows Servers. Resistance is futile"
:lol:
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 11:05:12 AM »
Windows: "We are the windows. Resistance is futile. We come in your homes, and digitalize everything. Your files will be assimilated and copied to Windows Servers. Resistance is futile"
:lol:
Or so they think...

I have more machines running non-Windows operating systems than I do machines that are running Windows (or are even capable of running Windows).

And Windows is not ideal for running servers on the internet. People constantly find security holes in IIS, IIS is difficult to get working if you leave the beaten path and try to use ISAPI modules that aren't really supported by Microsoft (I'm sure anyone who has installed / tried to install the PHP ISAPI module in IIS knows what I'm talking about), filesharing is rotten (as usual), etc...

I would say that using Windows Server to manage clients in a domain (with Active Directory and so on) is much nicer than the equivalent things for unix (LDAP and NIS). A lot of it is due to the features they built in, like the group policy objects, managed software installation/RIS, printer installation, etc. That's not to say that managing these types of things in a Unix installation is impossible, but it's made a lot harder (you get to have fun writing lots of scripts to make it work). Of course, I'm sure none of these useful features exist in Windows Home Server.

But as far as a web server, file server, etc. *nix servers blow Windows right out of the water (Apache, BIND, Samba, etc all easily kill IIS, Routing and Remote Access, Windows File Sharing, etc a million times over).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 11:05:40 AM by BlackBox »