Author Topic: Outpost 1.5 Saved Game Crash  (Read 3907 times)

Offline Compass

Outpost 1.5 Saved Game Crash
« on: December 02, 2007, 12:53:26 PM »
Hello.

I reported the following bug on IRC, but was told to use the forum too, so here I am.

I am having problems with Outpost 1.5 downloaded from OPU. I have progressed pretty far on the medium level, and now I'm unable to continue the game, because everytime I run 01 round the game simply crashes. I noticed that my older saved games below 100kb run normaly, but my latest one at 116kb crashed everytime I try to run a round.

If there is no solution for this I'll have to start a new game and hope the saved games never reach around 116kb, else I'll have to begin a fresh game all over again.

I'm using Linux at the moment, so I can't take a screenshot.

Can anyone help with this issue?

Compass.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 09:14:58 AM »
Well, I don't really know the answer to the saved game problem, but I will mention one thing:

Are you playing Outpost 1 on Wine (in Linux)? If that's the case, then it's possible that Wine might be part of the problem (as it is still incomplete) -- if you can, try to run the game from within Windows (even if it's in a virtual machine or something -- it would work better than OP1 directly on Wine).

Offline Compass

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 11:32:52 AM »
No, I'm playing Outpost 1.5 on Windows XP. I tried on two separate computers and the crash persists.

I don't have Wine on my linux box.

Compass.

Offline Brazilian Fan

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 01:20:06 PM »
Try downloading OP1.5 again

Offline Compass

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 04:26:43 PM »
I am doing that now, but if it is the same file (I'll check with md5sum) then doing so will not solve this issue.

Compass.

Offline Brazilian Fan

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 05:45:27 PM »
When OP1.5 crash, does it shows any error messages?

Also, if you are certain that your game copy isn't corrupted, there might be a chance that the save game is the source of the problem. Does OP1.5 only crashes when you load a specific save game? Or does this happens while loading any other saves?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 05:46:14 PM by Brazilian Fan »

Offline Compass

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 07:12:22 PM »
I'll take a screenshot as soon as I have a chance to run the game on a Windows XP machine.

My game copy is intact. The problem happens when I load certain saved games near to 116kb. All the previous saved games work fine as long as they don't reach this limit as far as I could test.

I wonder why no one encountered this bug before, because from what I've seen the farther you go the bigger the saved games get.

Compass.

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 02:42:56 AM »
It's fairly logical that the farther you go, the bigger the save game gets, as it has to store all buildings and setting from your colony. Is there anything specific you build or do when you get to around 116k of savegame? It might be the game having some problems loading something...
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Compass

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 04:22:06 AM »
Well, I followed the guide in the forums to get the Nanotech Labs quicker, because in one of my last games I got outsourced on resources (mined out) and lost the game.
Then I started all sorts of research (did them all I think) and next to my 116kb started Terraforming. Dug three levels. Lots of MPG (around 40000). Built a Spaceport and a Launcher.

:'(

Compass.

Offline Brazilian Fan

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 04:32:10 AM »
Isn't terraforming bugged?

Offline Compass

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 05:37:34 AM »
Is it? I don't know, since the 116kb saved game has just started Terraforming.
If Terraforming is the issue, then I'll regress to a older game without it and won't use it in the future.

I'll search the forum to see if I can find any clues.

Compass.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 08:58:41 AM »
Outpost 1 (and 1.5 as well) are pretty incomplete... so it's quite possible that the game is crashing simply because it is incomplete, poorly tested, and pushed out the door at the last minute when it was released.

I don't know what exactly in the game is bugged (since I have never really played it thoroughly) but I would suspect this is caused by some of that.

Offline Compass

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 03:06:00 AM »
I have loaded a previous game that isn't crashing, and done Terraforming then saving the game. This saved game does not crash when loaded and it's at 124kb.

So far so good. Seems it is not the file size at all. Finding out what it is will be troublesome. If I figure it out I'll post.

Compass.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 10:47:17 AM »
Terraforming isn't "bugged" so much as it has no real effect on the game (as far as I can tell) except that in the Command Center status window atmoshpere goes from "None" to "Unbreathable" (while terraforming) and then "Breathable" (when terraforming is complete).
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials