Author Topic: Cargo Truck Tech?  (Read 3326 times)

Offline PeterW

Cargo Truck Tech?
« on: November 20, 2007, 11:18:41 PM »
For cargo trucks and possibly convecs and other vehicles.

Earthworker or other similar vehicle builds a monorail.

Monorail is not raised above ground, like a single train track.

Units can drive over this rail.

Sole purpose is to further increase unit speed in addition to paving. The player would be able to get greater truck speeds from mines, and along other programmed routes. This could allow faster transportation of all game units if desired, giving a greater mobility, while allowing the same dynamic battle and initial situations to exist. Rails would be easy to destroy, and might or might not damage like a tube when broken (electric shock). The power requirements would be high, causing more power genearation facilities, to be made. The more vehicles on a rail at once, and the speeds attained (also dependant on tech) would affect power consumption. Perhaps a 100 energy per vehicle on the rail cost? The rail would have an initial tech, to allow domestic vehicles. Additional researches for enhanced rails, and vehicle compatibility, (light med and heavy chassis design) could be made. The power requirements would become a large determining factor if a player were to build a rail to ferry units from a factory, to the front, or to transfer groups of units. 20+ units at a time would cost much energy to transport, and speed would decrease along rail if not enough energy were present. Units on rail, may or may not be able to perform their functions while in transport. Exiting rail, could be done at any point by "detaching, thus eliminating the need for a terminal like device.

Just throwing it out there, i did scan the threads in here and did not find anything exactly like this. Although i think a monorail had been touched upon somewhere.

-Peter-    

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Cargo Truck Tech?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 02:49:09 AM »
So this train is to transport ore to the smelter and units across the map if needed?

Offline Marukasu

Cargo Truck Tech?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 05:33:23 AM »
Doesn't seem like a bad idea. Actually the mono rail would definitly bring a more interesting concept into the game.

It would also allow for trading routes to be made.  
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 05:36:09 AM by Marukasu »

Offline omagaalpha

Cargo Truck Tech?
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 01:04:15 PM »
Actual they  been shot down if remeber correctly all thought you tell go have heaver load that just put vehicle on the rail to transport to front. All enemy has do shoot rail then its been take out. Second is energy use transport rail would very huge that it would be unreasonable cost because amout power plant you would has build.
Their is thread about move ore faster (tube type use) and that been shot down.

I Think Frezer  he refer to move combat types to front lines type thing.

Give you credit for only thing that monorails threads have not cover is put actual vehicle on it.

Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Cargo Truck Tech?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 03:31:50 PM »
I think the other one did talk about vec transport and it seemed it was a excuse to have it because of world maps and tigers.

Offline Marukasu

Cargo Truck Tech?
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 03:31:58 PM »
I think the other one did talk about vec transport and it seemed it was a excuse to have it because of world maps and tigers.
Well with this design, using the rail to transport combat units doesn't really seem plausible. Look at the energy costs.

Offline PeterW

Cargo Truck Tech?
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 12:03:34 AM »
The power requirements are not decided. I just gave a rough number of what i thought might work. If it wont work, then just make the power requirements more reasonable. If the rail ran on magnetics, then the power would only be needed to accelerate and decelerate the object. A thin atmosphere would reduce drag further, and make plausible a lower energy cost. Another idea is using the vehicle's own power source to provide energy for the rail. Since the vehicles locomotion would be electric, (no air for combustion) the electricity could easily be used without any difficulty.  

Offline Marukasu

Cargo Truck Tech?
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 05:31:57 AM »
The power requirements are not decided. I just gave a rough number of what i thought might work

Well the reason why I said that was more to defend you. Show that the idea isn't uber.

remember i said...
Doesn't seem like a bad idea. Actually the mono rail would definitly bring a more interesting concept into the game.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 05:32:43 AM by Marukasu »

Offline Sirbomber

Cargo Truck Tech?
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 11:33:14 AM »
At least this rail design is plausible (except for the ridiculous power requirements)... Rather than putting 32 Tigers in a train, the Tigers just ride the rails themselves.
It kind of reminds me of roads and railroads in the Civilization games. Roads allow your units more moves per turn, and railroads give you even more moves per turn (though in this case it would be move faster, since Outpost 2/3 have no turns).
But maybe instead of rails, why not just paved roads? It could be like a second level of bulldozing (so people might actually use Robo-Dozers).

Still, I appreciate that you aren't trying to defy the laws of physics and plausibility with enormous trains capable of fitting entire armies.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 12:11:56 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Cargo Truck Tech?
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 11:35:48 AM »
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 11:44:21 AM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Sirbomber

Cargo Truck Tech?
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 11:55:09 AM »
pavement was suggested at one point.
My point is, people should move away from high-tech monorails and look for cheaper, low-tech, more feasible options (such as pavement). Even if nobody likes pavement, it's better than an expensive, power-sucking monorail.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Cargo Truck Tech?
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 12:08:07 PM »
pavement seems pretty accepted in that thread.

Offline Sirbomber

Cargo Truck Tech?
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 12:10:10 PM »
pavement seems pretty accepted in that thread.
I never said it wasn't, but not many people posted in that thread, so...

Offline Marukasu

Cargo Truck Tech?
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 05:58:39 PM »
I agree, pavement sounds very plausible.

Especialy if you make it so damaged part may even slow units to a slower speed than the normal terrain would have(to discourage "set it and forget it") interface.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 05:58:47 PM by Marukasu »