Author Topic: Outpost 2! I Love This Game!  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Mikros

Outpost 2! I Love This Game!
« on: November 13, 2007, 02:24:19 PM »
So I remember playing this in like 1998 or 1999 but I lost my disk/box and since then I've moved like probably 10 times. I would periodically remember stuff about the gameplay but I had forgotten the name of the game. It was Outpost 2!

What a fun game that was. Thanks to the admins and community who keep this site up and the game available; I can't wait to play again.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 03:04:05 PM »
Great to see another person who loves Outpost 2 showing up :)

If you want to play multiplayer, come on IRC sometime, we'd be glad to have you.

PS. Moved this to Introductions forum where it seems more appropriate (and will probably get more visibility as well).

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 03:34:58 PM »
just dont be a stranger.

Offline Mikros

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 04:58:21 PM »
Funnier still is how I found the site/forum.

Today there was an article on Slashdot today called " The Duel Between Gaming Magazines and Websites"

I read that then proceeded to read the comments, one of the comments below referenced Outpost 1 and had a link to the Wikipedia entry for Outpost 1.

From there I found a link to the wikipedia entry for Outpost 2, and on that a site a link to Outpost Universe; it says "The Outpost-Universe is a community for the Outpost series games by Sierra/Dynamix. This community is still active as of September 2007."

So count them, 1.2.3.4 degrees until I found you guys. Seriously I tried to remember the name of the game for a long time. As soon as I found the Wikipedia page I was already thinking "I wonder if I can find a place to buy another copy or just download it..." and that got answered too as soon as I jumped on the site.

Hello to all; I'm glad this game isn't lost to history.

Offline Mikros

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 05:07:49 PM »
Sorry for double posting...

What is the member inventory/points/bank/etc?

I have seen that I get a # of ore for posting, and can then spend this for items or whatever. I see that putting it in the bank to gain interest is also an option.

I searched the forum for a post explaining this a little more and turned up nothing; is there a post about it? I know its probably just a little side feature of the forums but it is pretty cool.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 05:09:37 PM »
its for my eyes only :P

Offline Drakmar

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 07:42:36 PM »
Hello Mikros! Welcome to the family!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:13:57 PM »
Hello Mikros! Welcome to the family!
Yes, our next therapy session is tomorrow at 5:00 PM. We're making a lot of progress as we're no longer at each other's throats 90% of the time. We're down to about 30% to 40% of the time!
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 12:51:35 AM »
What is the member inventory/points/bank/etc?

I have seen that I get a # of ore for posting, and can then spend this for items or whatever. I see that putting it in the bank to gain interest is also an option.
It's commonly known as the "IBstore" and was something we have done a few times in the past.

You can buy items from the store with your ore but it is likely that there is little to buy. The problem with the store was that it often generated lots of spam (people posting nonsense in order to get more ore), also, those with the money to afford it would buy "increase interest" upgrades every time they became available.. in effect, they eventually got to the maximum of ore stored in the bank (somewhere around 2 billion).

So the IBstore isn't really used much anymore. There are some topics discussing ideas of how the store could have been improved -- they unfortunately never were implemented.

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 02:28:36 AM »
And I hope they don't get implemented soon, making the IBStore good, cause I'm still around -300 ore  :lol:

Anyways, Hi there Mikros! Good to see more people coming in. If you feel brave enough, after playing the game with some people around the IRC, you could try your hand at making your own maps. You will get help if you ask for it.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 07:14:13 AM »
Welcome :)

Offline saiyanyoshi

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 04:04:57 PM »
Haha! I'm new. My first encounter with Outpost 2 was in a second-hand store. It was in a trash can, the poor thing. I got it out, wiped the installation CD off, and brought that AWESOME MONSTER home. Since then, I've been addicted. But... in the downloads section, what's this "Mapper" thingie you admins speak of?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 04:05:11 PM by saiyanyoshi »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 04:09:16 PM »
But... in the downloads section, what's this "Mapper" thingie you admins speak of?
What do you think? :P
It's for making OP2 maps. Unfortunately, it doesn't have terrain or cliff "brushes", you have to place every tile by hand and/or use tile groups. The way to make working maps made from scratch is also a bit odd (you have to take an existing map and clear all the tiles and cell types, then start from there), since the mapper's way of making a new blank map aren't liked by OP2.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 04:22:24 PM »
You can copy and paste map sections into maps to make new maps.

Get this .map file.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 04:22:52 PM by Leviathan »