Author Topic: Power Generation  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Pirogoeth

Power Generation
« on: November 17, 2007, 03:22:05 PM »
Question: why not do something thats kinda been staring everybody in the face for an uber long time? first off, thanks to Combine, we have a list of working, and Theoretically possible power sources. Among them are both Nuclear power, and fossil fuel power generation, and for those that need it spelled out, a nuclear power plant (which would make more sense then a tokomak, cause they kinda do degrade over time, to my knowledge, but I could very easily be mistaken), coal power plant, or an oil power plant.

yes... I actually got these ideas from playing far too much SimCity 2000...sue me.

Nuclear power, obviously provides large amounts of power whereas coal or oil...well, I'm not up on my research so I dont know how much they would make relative to a nuclear power plant, but yeah...

personally, I think that since Eden has GeoCons, and Plymouth (had) MHD's, the third colony, whatever its called, could more then easily benefit from nuclear power.

and just cause I have also been playing too much Command and Conquer, would Telsia Coils not be ale not be used as a power source in some way?  
The civil war has begun....

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Power Generation
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 03:35:52 PM »
Fossil fuel power: where there's no life, there's no fossil fuels.
Oil power: fossil fuel.
Nuclear power: Tokamaks are nuclear fusion power plants.
Tesla coils: they're a type of electric transformer.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 03:43:17 PM by Arklon »

Offline Pirogoeth

Power Generation
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 04:28:40 PM »
What about Coal?

and just for the sake of argumentation (feel free to ignore this) just cause theres no life, doesn't mean theres no oil. Earth had some oil from the beginning or its creation, and then go a hell of a lot more when the dinos died. It also doesn't mean that it cannot be synthesized. this would obviously mean that there would be some need of resource to go into it, say a common or rare ore requirement, a small one though. say 10/mark or something, just to balance it out.

hmm... I thought the Toks were a nuclear fission generator, not a fusion generator... meh *shrug* my bad. :heh:  

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Power Generation
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 04:42:30 PM »
Coal wouldn't be effective enough, and synthesizing oil would take energy to do, no?

Offline Pirogoeth

Power Generation
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 04:49:49 PM »
anything in large enough doses could be effective, including coal. (sorry if that sounds abrupt)

and the synthesizing oil taking energy is why I threw in the 10 common ore/mark thing, the oil is synthesized from that, and yes, it would still take energy, but not necessarily as much as burning it would create.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Power Generation
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 04:51:08 PM »
anything in large enough doses could be effective, including coal. (sorry if that sounds abrupt)
Powering your house by wiring a bunch of AA batteries together isn't very effective, is it?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 04:51:19 PM by Arklon »

Offline Pirogoeth

Power Generation
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 04:55:02 PM »
oh, its effective, just not efficient :P  B)  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Power Generation
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 08:37:37 PM »
Coal and Oil and Uranium are all used to make Steam which powers to turbines.  No power is extracted from the Items themselves.

Coal is a fossil fuel as well.

There isnt much you can get power from that isnt already in the game.  Only thing i can think of that isnt in the game is a Static lance or just a big wire that collects radio waves and makes them power.  Good for out in space lots of waves out there.  Wind power isnt in there either I started a Tread a while back for that one.

Offline Combine Crusier

Power Generation
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 04:55:17 PM »
I suggested a power sytem that collects natural microwaves in space.... Also, could radiation such as gamma rays be used to create some kind of electrical charge... I mean hey there is a large amount of radiation being emitted into space by our sun isn't there... perhaps the solar sat.s could have modules added that would take into acount these other power sources.

Synthetic fossil fuels, hmmm... Alpha Centauri had a similar idea, however look at the facts you ALWAYS get less work out than you put in... then again the factions do have plastics which require oil, interesting.

Nuclear fission power??? Not the safest power source when you're the last survivors of humanity however I have heard that in nuclear fusion anti-matter can be created as the atoms are torn apart, mainly people are concerened about the electrons but what about the protons? Perhaps if you had the right equipment you could cause the protons to be on the OUTSIDE of the particle thus creating a crude form of anti-matter like material. Hey that may not actually be anti-matter but it does have an opposing charge doesn't it?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 04:55:37 PM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Pirogoeth

Power Generation
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 07:56:28 PM »
There isnt much you can get power from that isnt already in the game.  Only thing i can think of that isnt in the game is a Static lance or just a big wire that collects radio waves and makes them power.  Good for out in space lots of waves out there.  Wind power isnt in there either I started a Tread a while back for that one.
I now, I read it just before I posted this one, I really liked your second windmill, Freeza, and I would have suggested that that one be used, had the thread not been locked before I got to it

Offline Pirogoeth

Power Generation
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 07:59:21 PM »
I suggested a power sytem that collects natural microwaves in space.... Also, could radiation such as gamma rays be used to create some kind of electrical charge... I mean hey there is a large amount of radiation being emitted into space by our sun isn't there... perhaps the solar sat.s could have modules added that would take into acount these other power sources.

Synthetic fossil fuels, hmmm... Alpha Centauri had a similar idea, however look at the facts you ALWAYS get less work out than you put in... then again the factions do have plastics which require oil, interesting.

Nuclear fission power??? Not the safest power source when you're the last survivors of humanity however I have heard that in nuclear fusion anti-matter can be created as the atoms are torn apart, mainly people are concerened about the electrons but what about the protons? Perhaps if you had the right equipment you could cause the protons to be on the OUTSIDE of the particle thus creating a crude form of anti-matter like material. Hey that may not actually be anti-matter but it does have an opposing charge doesn't it?
Combine, I really am trying not to be rude, but all I can really say to this is, you're a bafoon. try starting your own thread if you're going to suggest another form of power, rather then thinking it will be payed more attention to if it were on someone else's thread.

Offline Marukasu

Power Generation
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 12:36:09 AM »
Coal wouldn't be effective enough, and synthesizing oil would take energy to do, no?
True but it doesn't take more than it produces.
But the whole idea is lacking effectiveness.

Yes there is, its called a solar power generator! Microwaves are simply another wavelength.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 12:38:37 AM by Marukasu »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Power Generation
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 12:15:32 PM »
You would want to capture more the microwaves.

Offline DarekStar

Power Generation
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 04:50:44 AM »
Just cause the planets dead now dosn't mean it didn't once saport life.
-Darek

Caution this user refuses to spell check or even try and spell corectly unless posting a story.

so bare with him

Offline Marukasu

Power Generation
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 05:28:12 AM »
You would want to capture more the microwaves.

No you would want to capture a greater percent of the light. Widening the capture width(broadening the number of wavelengths it can capture). Even in modern solar panels the goal is alway"How can we increase the percent of the light that we can use.".
Most of the time the layer the solar panel making it so the wavelengths that slipped by the first layer are caught by the second or third etc. Microwaves have no special"more energy for your buck"properties. Microwaves merely react with water more frequently.

I think people forget that microwaves along with gamma rays are just other wavelengths and just have different properties.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Power Generation
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 10:12:05 AM »
greater percent would be more

Offline Marukasu

Power Generation
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 03:40:31 PM »
greater percent would be more

Microwave is a wavelength of light.

im not only saying a greater percent of Microwaves.

Im saying a greater percent of light.

Light includes other wavelengths.

Gamma rays, x-rays, radio waves, infrared light, ultraviolet, microwaves and visible light are all things that solar power arrays could capture.

The percent i was talking about, is of all light.  Microwaves aren't massively important, but they are something you would want to absorb. In addition to other wavelengths.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 03:46:24 PM by Marukasu »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Power Generation
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 03:46:13 PM »
Just cause the planets dead now dosn't mean it didn't once saport life.
Do you know just how much s*** has to happen to a planet for life to start on it?