Author Topic: Storyline Adjustment  (Read 19485 times)

Offline checkysthebest

Storyline Adjustment
« on: November 04, 2007, 10:42:02 AM »
I've read up on the idea of the Maesis colony and it seems kind of cool and possible, (listen this may have been created already i dont know i cant sit here read that much) but what I thought of is that their colony never fled earth, they found new way of mining rock and rubble left from the apocalypse. And through troubled ventures have created a super colony if you will, one where the technology is far beyond that of those from new terra. Now I am not saying a intergalactic war but what about a storyline that takes eden and plymouth back to earth seeing that this SC has survived and now is intrigued to try to form a relationship back on earth. Now obviously problem arise as to will there be 3 sides or an alliance formed between 2, I believe if it went with an alliance, eden knowing it morale is as unstable new terra would be allied with Maesis, earlier on then the arrival of plymouth, Therefore putting a disadvantage to plymouth of not acquiring a direct instructional knowledge of survival but a more of explorative colony at first until realizing that the others have already allied in the repopulation of the earth. (side note>) call this what you will make another planet for all i care its just something that i think would add a more indepth storyline and harder challenge for user (<side note). Now obviously seeing that eden has formed an ally in the Maesis, it angers plymouths leaders (yes kind of taken from renegades) and splits the colony not through a war with each other but while one insists on a coexsistence the other faction insists on total domination. (this would be a great point to allow user to choose which path they choose.) The coexistence (ILL call P1) builds their new databases faster but lacks the colonies support to weapon programs making and hide and seek defense maybe by use of mobile building after stumbling across a piece of tech from the old earth through a mining accident , they soon begin to realize that the intention of P2 have doomed everyone there through a rapid advance weapon tech releasing a terrible microbial agent that though P2 has immunity weakens all. Thats all I can give of though to it at this point as to gauge interest, I know not a damn thing about programming software mines on the hardware side but do like the storyline creating as my colleagues and I have created a couple mini games but my ideas in the innards to it cause unrelentless crashing.
No i cannot punctuate

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 10:48:30 AM »
For all intents and purposes, Earth was destroyed. If it wasn't, the Conestoga wouldn't even leave Earth, and there wouldn't be OP2. (And quite frankly, the idea of a second starship, let alone it and the Phoenix Voyager meeting up in the middle of nowhere (on a very hostile planet, even), is too much.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 10:50:42 AM by Arklon »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:58:40 AM »
Earth would have No atmosphere that would support life.  It definately be burned down to bedrock.  It might possibly be in a ICE age.  Plus the big f***ing rock that smashed into made things dead.  So there is absolutely nothing left on earth.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 11:29:36 AM »
Plus the big f***ing rock that smashed into made things dead.  So there is absolutely nothing left on earth.
Unless you go with Betaray's theory that the survivors could've hidden underground in stasis chambers... but it's not like those people are going to be able to do much once they're awakened.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 11:29:46 AM by Arklon »

Offline Nynx

• http://on1-k.deviantart.com/
Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 05:48:03 PM »
they would probably face a scenario like in the game 'Fallout'

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 05:50:01 PM »
they would probably face a scenario like in the game 'Fallout'
Except not radioactive, and without (super) mutants and retrofuturism. And probably a lot more destructive in general.

Offline Nynx

Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 09:49:45 PM »
but still, same concept  :P  

Offline Fenrisul

Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 12:05:33 AM »

That about sums it up.

Offline Nynx

Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 12:32:21 AM »
wow, never knew plot holes were a confirmed universal force

are they like black holes?  :lol:  

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 02:48:49 PM »
It's beautiful.

Offline Sirbomber

Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 08:52:39 PM »
It's beautiful.
Truer words were never spoken.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Nynx

Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 10:28:10 PM »
thats should be the 'alternate' intro movie to the game!  :lol:  (thumbsup)  

Offline checkysthebest

Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 08:40:19 PM »
Plus the big f***ing rock that smashed into made things dead.  So there is absolutely nothing left on earth.
Unless you go with Betaray's theory that the survivors could've hidden underground in stasis chambers... but it's not like those people are going to be able to do much once they're awakened.
well like i said, an idea. but the basic thing im goin for is a three sided system hell let the third be all robots or a degenerate form humans, i mean s*** the blight might kill everything but f*** why not say it transformed a few sorry people over generations to where they need not rely on an oxygen supply rather they've successfully adapted to the climate and atmosphere and now they have the upper hand being able to research food that grows in it and more destructive vehicles through the capabilites of not needing the accomodations that the humans need to survive, like im saying not trying to make some f***ing command and conquer clone war s*** thing just that people adapt why not in the game then, ill even pull out some realistic science to back it up. so this colony adapts to the atmosphere but as we all know adapting has its draw backs such as a shorter lifespan or a higher calorie consumption, longer periods of child - worker - scientist but without one research a week die quickly. just some ideas i mean lets make it f***ing interesting something hard until you make the such weaknesses
No i cannot punctuate

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 09:08:44 PM »
well like i said, an idea. but the basic thing im goin for is a three sided system hell let the third be all robots or a degenerate form humans, i mean s*** the blight might kill everything but f*** why not say it transformed a few sorry people over generations to where they need not rely on an oxygen supply rather they've successfully adapted to the climate and atmosphere and now they have the upper hand being able to research food that grows in it and more destructive vehicles through the capabilites of not needing the accomodations that the humans need to survive, like im saying not trying to make some f***ing command and conquer clone war s*** thing just that people adapt why not in the game then, ill even pull out some realistic science to back it up. so this colony adapts to the atmosphere but as we all know adapting has its draw backs such as a shorter lifespan or a higher calorie consumption, longer periods of child - worker - scientist but without one research a week die quickly. just some ideas i mean lets make it f***ing interesting something hard until you make the such weaknesses
1. Stop swearing
2. The blight literally destroys people, no one could survive being infected long enough to have a last meal, let alone reproduce.
3. No food will grow in blighted land for the same reason listed above.
4. Evolution on the scale you're describing takes millions, if not billions of years. I say billions because every one of your cells has a need for oxygen, the chance of a switch away from oxygen occurring is nearly zero.

Offline Sirbomber

Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 04:21:59 PM »
I'm not going to quote everything you said since Mcshay did it, but may I suggest you read and find out we hate aliens and sci-fi crap? Outpost 2 is based on hard science, not "cool" stuff.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Tellaris

Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 04:46:35 PM »
The only way that'd be possible would be genetic engineering, and of the scale you're describing, I'd say would be beyond the colonists.   As for it being by evolution, part of the Principle of Parsimony states that the simplest explanation is more likely, kinda like Occam's Razor.   It is often applied to determine the order at which structures in organisms evolved.   Basically, more complex systems take considerably longer to evolve then small adaptations.   Example: Skeletal system and, say..   the pinna (outer portion of ear) can be said to have evolved AFTER the skeletal system, as its a less complex structure.    It took several million years for the skeletal system to come into existence.   Chances of humans converting from primarily oxygen based organisms (Which is also directly related to how we metabolize stuff), yet another several million years, is especially unlikely.   Chances are, they'd just terriform the planet, or go somewhat "biodome," OP2 style.   It'd be far easier then trying to genetically engineer an entire population of which there is no known efficent way to do so with an already grown organism.   Pre-natally, when the child is still just a few cells, not as difficult.   But even then, thats an 18 year wait.   Much faster to build a whole new colony.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Marukasu

Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 02:01:35 PM »
I don't quite understand why the other ship wouldn't just goto another planet. Why follow another ship and risk the same potential doom.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 05:02:13 PM »
I tryed this argument on irc.  No one seems to think it would be a problem for the ship to follow the other when its quite possible it doesn't know where it went in the first place.  Logicaly it would go to the closest star Alpha Centauri.  Then the closest to that one from there i think they would split up maybe but logic would play the role that they would take similar paths because of the insane distances of stars.  Closers being preferred for maximum Fuel conservation and shortest time.  So they would end up in the same spot.  

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 05:13:12 PM »
I tryed this argument on irc.  No one seems to think it would be a problem for the ship to follow the other when its quite possible it doesn't know where it went in the first place.  Logicaly it would go to the closest star Alpha Centauri.  Then the closest to that one from there i think they would split up maybe but logic would play the role that they would take similar paths because of the insane distances of stars.  Closers being preferred for maximum Fuel conservation and shortest time.  So they would end up in the same spot.
That's the closest star to Sol. Last time I checked, New Terra was not in Earth's solar system. The Savants on the Conestoga also rejected all sorts of worlds they came across, so New Terra probably wasn't in Alpha Centauri.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:14:14 PM by Arklon »

Offline Marukasu

Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 05:17:48 PM »
I tryed this argument on irc. No one seems to think it would be a problem for the ship to follow the other when its quite possible it doesn't know where it went in the first place. Logicaly it would go to the closest star Alpha Centauri. Then the closest to that one from there i think they would split up maybe but logic would play the role that they would take similar paths because of the insane distances of stars. Closers being preferred for maximum Fuel conservation and shortest time. So they would end up in the same spot.

You don't only have to take into account the distance, you also need to take into account the likely hood of habitable planets. Even today we are able to figure what stars have earth like planets(or at least earth sized). So fuel is an issue but if something happened to the crew then priorities would be shifted. Hmm I think I remember something odd happening between earth and New Terra.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 05:19:01 PM »
Hmm I think I remember something odd happening between earth and New Terra.
Uh, nothing other than being forced to settle on a marginally suitable planet (New Terra) due to a shortage of resources.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 05:22:21 PM »
Both ships started from earth.  Its only logical that the closes star to New terra would be the target of the Voyager.  and the other ship would enter the New terra system see that there is nothing and go to the next closest star.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:23:40 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Marukasu

Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 05:23:45 PM »
Uh, nothing other than being forced to settle on a marginally suitable planet (New Terra) due to a shortage of resources.

Hmm may bee the other savant would accept one of those planets that was rejected.

Its only logical that the closes star to New terra would be the target of the Voyager.
Yeah because why would you want to double there chance of survival by splitting paths?(SARCASM)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:26:09 PM by Marukasu »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 05:26:21 PM »
Both ships started from earth.  Its only logical that the closes star to New terra would be the target of the Voyager.  and the other ship would enter the New terra system see that there is nothing and go to the next closest star.
Why would the other ship be headed to the New Terra system (and so far behind the Conestoga)?
And even then, there's still the fact that the Conestoga was a crash project. Resources would be better used making the Conestoga than making another whole starship. Yeah, there's the "don't put all your eggs in one basket" thing, but getting more baskets is kinda hard in desperate times.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:28:45 PM by Arklon »

Offline Marukasu

Storyline Adjustment
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 05:29:26 PM »
Why would the other ship be headed to the New Terra system (and so far behind the Conestoga)?
Wait when was this ship build!
In the middle of one of the meteors?!
WERE!
Or was this a ship that took up the other half of earths already used up resources? Or may bee this ship was made by the lizards left on earth? WTF!?
If you use ALL of your "Legos" to build a ship you obviously can't build another identical ship!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:31:35 PM by Marukasu »