Author Topic: Making Life Easier  (Read 3229 times)

Offline newbie(4yp)

Making Life Easier
« on: October 17, 2007, 05:09:55 AM »
Hi guys, i was thinking instead of wasting a whole lot of time and s=confusing ppl who don't know how to programm stuff. wouldn't it be easier for someone to create a program that can do it for you or at least make it easier. i haven't been here for a while so i don't know if you had already did that or not.
I would love to give you a long, painfull, horrifing, and bloody death, it's just it would be to messy or to noisy, and if your still alive i can enslave you under my empire.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Making Life Easier
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 07:59:38 AM »
Making such tools is very difficult. Particularly since there is a lack of certain data which would have been very useful in automating a lot of useful tasks. It would take a lot of time from the skilled programmers, and also a lot of grunt work along the lines of data entry, which nobody is usually very willing to do. The editors and files we have now are far beyond what we originally had to work with, but they are still certainly lacking. There is still ocasionally a little progress, but mostly people are too busy with real life to devote much time.

Offline Leviathan

Making Life Easier
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 11:10:38 AM »
Just learn to program for OP2. Making multi maps is very easy.

Offline newbie(4yp)

Making Life Easier
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 10:46:57 PM »
for you, you've probibly done a hundred maps

I would love to give you a long, painfull, horrifing, and bloody death, it's just it would be to messy or to noisy, and if your still alive i can enslave you under my empire.

Offline Sirbomber

Making Life Easier
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 12:16:12 AM »
It's not like you need to know advanced coding techniques.
It's pretty much copying and pasting what others have already done and adjusting it to meet your specific wants and needs.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline newbie(4yp)

Making Life Easier
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 02:18:04 AM »
what am i supposed to copy from and to where? i've never actually been tought how to convert a map to mission. :unsure:  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Making Life Easier
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 04:12:07 AM »
Check for the mission SDK.

http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/SDK

You'll need a C++ compiler too though.

Offline Sl0vi

Making Life Easier
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 03:51:45 AM »
Check for the mission SDK.

http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/SDK

You'll need a C++ compiler too though.
There is a guide in the wiki explaining how to setup a free compiler and IDE.

http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Compiler_Setup

Follow that guide and you should have everything you need to start coding.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline newbie(4yp)

Making Life Easier
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 04:32:14 AM »
thanks

Fire Plague

Making Life Easier
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 08:38:13 PM »
It's not like you need to know advanced coding techniques.
It's pretty much copying and pasting what others have already done and adjusting it to meet your specific wants and needs.
So dose anyone have an uncompiled txt file of what a complete one should look like? I would like to get my hands on one to learn from.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Making Life Easier
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 01:09:58 AM »
Check the links in the above posts. The SDK has sample source code you can learn or copy from, and the free Microsoft compiler can be used to compile it. The links should have fairly detailed instructions.