Author Topic: Color Modding.  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Hidiot

Color Modding.
« on: October 03, 2007, 09:44:22 PM »
So, I've been thinking about editing the color.bmp, but I have completely no idea on how to do it...

Those of you who have done it, I ask you... Please tell those curious enough (as me) how it's done... as detailed as possible.  
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

Color Modding.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 12:15:29 AM »
Get a picture editing program that can edit palettes.
I think even MS Paint can do that...
After that, just edit away.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Color Modding.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 08:46:03 AM »
It's a standard windows bitmap file. It's only 1x1 pixels, since the only useful part is the palette. Each player has 24 entries in the palette. I believe color 4 was the one that ends up controlling the minimap color. The actual color that appears on the minimap however is the closest to one of 8 possible colors. (Basically full mixing of the primary colors).

But yeah, anything that can edit palettes stored in .bmp files.

Offline Hidiot

Color Modding.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 11:12:50 AM »
Well, yeah,uh... How do I edit the palette (with MS Paint)? I would really appreciate as accurate of a procedure as possible, so I don't screw it up big time :|
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Color Modding.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 07:06:22 PM »
Actually, I don't think MS Paint can edit palettes (maybe it can through some very obscure method, I've never tried it).

I know a program that can -- www.irfanview.com

Install that and open color.bmp. I believe if you search around (want to say it is in the Edit or Image menu) there is a palette editing option. It will open up a dialog that lets you change colors in the palette.

If I remember correctly, each entry for each player color is 24 palette entries long.