Author Topic: How To Play Outpost1 With Win Xp ?  (Read 3507 times)

Offline outpostfan

How To Play Outpost1 With Win Xp ?
« on: September 30, 2007, 03:52:26 PM »
Hi to all,

having played Outpost 1 excessively in the 90's with WIN 95, with WIN XP I'm not able anymore.

I've CD Outpost 1 Version 1.0 + Diskette Launch Control + Diskette V 1.5 Update as well as CD Outpost 1 Vers. 1.5.

Does anyone know how to use these CD's or diskettes to play Outpost 1 with WIN XP ?

thanks a lot !  :)

outpostfan

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 06:57:03 PM »
It should install normally.
Try downloading the ISO from us if it doesn't work.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline outpostfan

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 08:30:58 PM »
It should install normally.
Try downloading the ISO from us if it doesn't work.
Thanks for the advice, but none of the headings in the Main Menu of THE OUTPOST UNIVERSE seems to be working. I can open only th Outpost-Universe.net Forum.

So where Do I get the ISO ?

Thanks

outpostfan

Offline Psudomorph

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 05:41:29 AM »
I recall being unable to use my original CD, but the ISO ended up working fine.

I can't access the download page either, so all I can recommend is waiting until it is fixed.

EDIT: here is a direct link to the download: http://outpostuniverse.net/files/Outpost1.rar
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 03:30:06 AM by Psudomorph »

Offline Nykara

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 06:22:36 PM »
Heyas,
Rather then starting a new thread I figured I'd post my problem here instead :)

I downloaded the game from here and got all that working no worries.. It installed without a hitch but now when I'm trying to play it randomly pops up with OUTPOST caused an access violation in msvcrt.dll at 0x77c43dc0
I am currently running windows XP with SP 1

Soooo any suggestions?

Offline Mez

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 11:40:28 PM »
No idea.

Never had that before, can you play other games of the same age on the same machine?

Try this:

from the Start->run box:

sfc /scannow

Taken from:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...r.mspx?mfr=true

Offline Nykara

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 03:40:54 AM »
Honestly I've never actually tried any other earlier games on this machine before.. I'm not even sure what made me do a search for outpost other then the fact I used to play it a long long long time ago on my friends PC whenever I was visiting her house, although her CD vanished at some point and I'd never played it again since :) Nostalgia I guess hehe since I was lookin through my old CD's and found OP 2 which also is buggy and seems to crash a lot so I downloaded your version of it to :)
It's OP 1 I really want to play though, am running the scan now so hopefully that will work

Offline Nykara

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 03:47:46 AM »
Ran the scan, am still getting the same error as before.. I think I may have to be resigned to sticking to OP 2 :|

OP 1 seems to be making everything go black and green after the crash too. All my menu windows and my explorer address bar as well as this box I'm even typing in now for this forum message.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 04:29:44 AM »
Yes, OP1 is not a very good example of professionalism...
Just stick with OP2. You can play with us on IRC!
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Nykara

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 05:59:14 AM »
I'll definatly seriously consider that :) although at the moment I think I need a lot more practice again first before I even think about going it online!

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 10:38:23 AM »
Odd... It works just fine for me... tried it just because I was curious and it runs ok.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Nykara

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 11:21:08 AM »
I'm using Alcohol 120% trial version at the moment as well so dunno if that is part of the problem or not but I don't have a CD burner and for some reason the one that was linked on the download page here wouldn't work on my PC it said invalid platform

Offline Mez

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 10:51:55 PM »
Honestly don't know

A clean windows xp sp2 install will most likely fix the op1 problem.  

However I'm sure you don't have a spare PC to do this on, or have the time / effort / patience to backup all your files reinstall and install all your programs again.

Offline Nykara

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 11:42:08 AM »
Honestly don't know

A clean windows xp sp2 install will most likely fix the op1 problem.  

However I'm sure you don't have a spare PC to do this on, or have the time / effort / patience to backup all your files reinstall and install all your programs again.
I must admit I have been considering doing a full windows reinstall for a while now, it's been at least a year since I've done one and in true windows fashion it usually ends up needing to be done even if just to clean up the registry.. but it's a huge job too as we all know so I've been putting it off.

My boyfriend and I are actually both looking at getting new PC's soon too and window's vista sooo with that in mind is another reason I've been putting off going through the windows reinstall on this system. Having said that we have a bunch of old PC parts and things here so my other consideration has been to see if we can't get an older system working and give that a shot.

One way or another I'll get to try it out again eventually and will be pushing for it now I've got the "must play some old favourite games" bug happening again.

Offline Alcibiadies

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 01:40:33 AM »
I recently came across my old Outpost game, installed it, and the 1.5 patch.  It plays but there are a few small problems.  First, the volume of the music is very low.  The voices (the AI, the lander, etc.) play at a fine level though.  Secondly, the text windows at the beginning can't be read.  Its like both the text and background are both black.  Lastly, and most importantly, I can't seem to save my game as both the "Save" and "Save As" options are grayed out.  Its been awhile so I may have just forgotten, do you have to do something (build something, run a certain number of turns, etc.) before you can save?
Can anything be done to correct any of these problems?  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 01:42:55 AM by Alcibiadies »

Offline Psudomorph

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 03:49:18 AM »
I recently came across my old Outpost game, installed it, and the 1.5 patch.  It plays but there are a few small problems.  First, the volume of the music is very low.  The voices (the AI, the lander, etc.) play at a fine level though.  Secondly, the text windows at the beginning can't be read.  Its like both the text and background are both black.  Lastly, and most importantly, I can't seem to save my game as both the "Save" and "Save As" options are grayed out.  Its been awhile so I may have just forgotten, do you have to do something (build something, run a certain number of turns, etc.) before you can save?
Can anything be done to correct any of these problems?  Thanks in advance.
Volume: I don't know if its the same problem I had, but check to make sure all your volume controls are correct. I only recently discovered that in addition to a master volume control, my computer has several others, one of which only seems to effect outpost 1 and a few other misc programs.

Text: No clue.

Save: You can only save after you have run a turn, and before you have done anything else that turn. Outpost 1 doesn't like having to save all the extra variables that it would take to keep track of mid-turn actions.

Offline Alcibiadies

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 05:17:52 AM »
Volume: I don't know if its the same problem I had, but check to make sure all your volume controls are correct.
Yeah it was my "MIDI synth" volume setting.  It didn't even occur to me to check it as I can't remember the last time I tried to play a MIDI.  After hearing the music again I think I'll just use iTunes and play all of Holst's planets...  For the record people can find all these volume settings by clicking on the speaker icon in their systray or via "Control Panel" -> "Sounds and Audio Devices" then click "Advanced".
I wonder if anyone can post or PM me a rundown of what those first two pop up windows say.  I'm just curious.

Offline PKDecatur

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 02:46:25 AM »
This is very odd... everything in this game works perfectly on mine, except there is no sound effects or videos.  The music plays fine.