Author Topic: Bots On Homemade Maps?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Bonk

Bots On Homemade Maps?
« on: September 15, 2007, 11:06:53 PM »
If I download a multiplayer map or make one, can I play against bots on that map?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Bots On Homemade Maps?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 02:31:59 AM »
There's no general AI in OP2. Any level with AI has it built right into the level and custom scripted to it. There are two multiplayer levels that I know of with AI, and two colony games (Eden Starship, and Plymouth Starship II).

But, you're in luck, because I'm right about to post the two multiplayer maps with AI converted to colony games over in the programming forum somewhere.

Offline Bonk

Bots On Homemade Maps?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 03:18:51 AM »
Cool, I just want to play a sort of skirmish with the computer, where we each start off equal and there are no objectives except kill the enemy.

In all the colony games, they always have way better tech and you are almost always on the back foot.

Offline Leviathan

Bots On Homemade Maps?
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 06:23:18 AM »
Eddy-B is working on a general AI.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Bots On Homemade Maps?
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 01:34:14 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to see a good AI that can just play any level with the same starting settings as you. But right now we don't really have that. It's all just a bunch of scripted actions, where things just happen periodically, and everything is set and scripted. It's a little hard to do much better due to limitations with the interface to the level DLLs, but we do know ways around that to get what we want done. It's just that getting around that is a bit of a pain, and it still doesn't solve the general problem of making a good AI with reasonable descision making. It's really not obvious what an AI should be checking for, and what it should do in any given circumstance.