Author Topic: Hamachi Alert  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Hamachi Alert
« on: September 12, 2007, 02:46:04 PM »
People, you have to start leaving the networks before you just log off Hamachi. All networks are now full, and we've had to create 2 "emergency" networks.
So until OPU|Bot can fix the problem for us...

EVERYONE, PAY ATTENTION OR DIE

Before you click the "Log Off" button on Hamachi:
1) Right click the network name (opu.net or opu.net_X)
2) Click "Leave Network"
3) Repeat Steps 1 and 2 for all OPU Hamachi networks you are in.
4) Log off of Hamachi.

Just because you aren't online doesn't mean you aren't wasting (very limited) space in our network(s). By wasting space, you are effectively preventing others from playing OP2 over Hamachi. Click "Leave Network" before you Log Off. Remember that our Hamachi networks are for everyone's enjoyment and not just your own.

Right about now I'd allude to some sort of consequence for ignoring this warning, but I have no power to enforce any such threat.  (but I do on the forum and IRC *evilgrin* - CK9)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 05:01:56 PM by CK9 »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

Hamachi Alert
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 05:50:18 PM »
Yes thank you :)

Offline Sirbomber

Hamachi Alert
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 07:59:42 PM »
Right about now I'd allude to some sort of consequence for ignoring this warning, but I have no power to enforce any such threat.  (but I do on the forum and IRC *evilgrin* - CK9)

Yes. All fear CK9. But if you are good little boys and girls you will not get eaten.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

Hamachi Alert
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 05:49:42 AM »
So what has happened with the OPU Hamachi Bot? If there are problems I can run it on one of my machines if needed.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Hamachi Alert
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 08:49:28 PM »
It's on my server at home which I can't run full time anymore. (I moved and it's sitting at my parents' house. Apparently it's "too noisy" and can't be guaranteed to stay up for any length of time).

I would bring it to where I live but I have too unreliable of an internet connection to run it right now.

If we were going to run it on another machine, we need to have root access to a real linux server (not a VPS) so we can install the tap driver (as well as hamachi itself). This is why we can't run it on the 'main' server (we don't have direct access to the entire system, just a VPS).

I did manage to get the machine booted up so I was able to run the kick script and kick out all the offline users. If we can't run the bot full time, maybe we need some sort of punishment for users who continue to not leave the network? ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:50:57 PM by BlackBox »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Hamachi Alert
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 11:00:44 PM »
I suppose I might be able to run something if you needed it.

I've got a server tucked away in a furnace room in a basement that's always connected to the internet. Doesn't matter if it makes a bit of noise down there. Typical uptime of a few months, but not super reliable. It sometimes restarts if there's problems with the power, as would most of the networking equipment, plus it's on a dynamic WAN IP, so I don't really use it for anything other than client purposes, (other than LAN services where the IP is static). I also have no monitoring so I don't know when or if it went down. Although I do tend to check up on it for various purposes at least once a day or so.

Only thing is, it doesn't run Linux (and it doesn't run Windows). Plus, it's only 120 MHz (or maybe 166 MHz, I can't remember anymore), so it can't really do anything to processor intensive.

Offline Leviathan

Hamachi Alert
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 05:15:41 AM »
I have 3 home internet connections in seprate locations that I can run servers at, I do allready. I have plently of hardware so I can spare a machine to install linux on and run the bot.

Im going away in 2 weeks so I would like to get it done before that. What distro should i install?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Hamachi Alert
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 03:53:10 PM »
It really makes no difference, debian works ok if that's what you want to do.

Whatever you use, it has to run a recent version of the linux kernel and root access is needed (to modprobe tun and create device nodes for /dev/net/tun. Hamachi also has to be installed as root and has a small tun configuration daemon that must be run as root).

The server also must have the CLI version of PHP installed.

(I can set all of this up if you have a machine with root access. The bottom line is, it has to be a real machine running linux that is connected to the internet).

As far as installing the distro, if it has options for 'workstation' or 'server', go with server (it has to install an SSH server so people can remotely login to it).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 03:54:35 PM by BlackBox »

Offline Leviathan

Hamachi Alert
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 05:59:58 PM »
Yeah im not a linux master but I know you need SSH to login :)

Debian it is then.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Hamachi Alert
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 01:38:37 PM »
I now have the server box at my feet. Apparently the connection at my parents' house stopped working. (They called the ISP and the ISP basically had them disconnect the router completely. I don't know what is wrong, but don't have time to drive down there and check it out anytime soon).

This means that the server has no internet connection. As a result my parents got the server to me (there are files on it that I want to be able to get to) and I can run the hamachi client now to clear out the users from the network.

The only snag is connecting the server to the LAN (I don't have long enough cables {network and power} to connect the server to the router. Moving the router isn't an option since it's being used to bridge to another faraway wireless AP and it has to have straight line of sight through a window to work). I'll try to sort this out, whether I have to put the server in the closet or get extension cords or whatnot. It might be easiest to just put the program on another machine as we had discussed already (since this server is going back where it came from once the router is connected there again).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 01:39:34 PM by BlackBox »