Author Topic: Protective Shielding  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Protective Shielding
« on: August 29, 2007, 08:32:45 AM »
BLARG!!!!!!!

Freeza-CII's idea seems pretty good with the self sealing armor... I even posted a similar idea and I hadn't even read his post!

Anyhow I have played another Sierra created and they had a special kind of armor that when hit by beam or projectile weapons it would vaporize into gases which would distort an energy weapon and slightly slow down projectile weapons…

I think this is a pretty neat idea…. I thought of the idea before I remembered the game, however since we are continuing a Sierra original game they probably won’t care much.

So this isn't exactly the form of shielding you were thinking of when you saw the name of this post.

Sierra rules!!!

Fire at will!

Offline Leviathan

Protective Shielding
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 11:51:44 AM »
I like the idea of shields. Maybe have something that activates when the unit gets hit by powerfull weapons but dosent activate vs light fire so could be countered with light units but units that have the shield last longer vs powerfull units.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Protective Shielding
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »
no, sierra sucks!  If it weren't for them, we'd still be playing via WON

I like the idea, but I think it needs to be nerfed a bit so it doesn't create too much in the way of sheilded unit spamming.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

Protective Shielding
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 02:25:43 PM »
Shields would just make units more expensive for a slightly prolonged lifespan. I'll just replace any dead vehicles.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Protective Shielding
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 02:43:13 PM »
A gas isnt going to stop a laser or a partical beam it will just blast right through it the only thing that could even effect those are magnetisim and gravity.  and you need alot of power to even bend them.  

Again tHe Battle Tech world has a armor that is more suited for what you say and its Reflective armor but its only so effective.  your better off strapping logs to the vecs charging at full speed.  

Offline Combine Crusier

Protective Shielding
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 06:32:34 PM »
On the contrary, in the past targeting lasers haven't been able to lock on to targets due to smoke and fog.... I forget which war it was but I think it was in the 90's. Anyhow I think that it would still be pretty effective at reducing LIGHT enemy fire such as lasers and microwaves. Even Thors Hammer might be effected as water doesn't conduct electricity to well thus it would dissipate a lot of energy and heat, depending on the thickness.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Protective Shielding
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 10:18:28 AM »
laser and Maser weapons and the Thors hammer would vaporize the water particals.

All fog will do is reduce there site range.

Offline Marukasu

Protective Shielding
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 03:28:15 PM »
A gas isnt going to stop a laser or a partical beam it will just blast right through it the only thing that could even effect those are magnetisim and gravity. and you need alot of power to even bend them.
:blink: GRAVITY! :blink: did you actually recommend gravity! The amount of gravity required to even slightly modify the coarse of a laser would most likely
destroy the vehicle using it(assuming the vehicle isn't made out of "win!" armor). Thats also not taking into account the energy required for such a process.

Magnetisim, i'll give you that one :) . most likely real life defense.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 03:29:41 PM by Marukasu »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Protective Shielding
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 06:48:27 PM »
Light is effected by gravity.  Since no one can generate gravity artificially.  The only gravity that will effect a laser is a planet and other such stellar bodies.

you need alot of power to even bend them.
 Note I said this.

Offline Marukasu

Protective Shielding
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 07:13:24 PM »
Light is effected by gravity.
I didn't say it didn't!

But the amount a gravity to have any significant effect would be enough to destroy the vehicle thats generating it!

Unless your thinking of the magic sci fi grav gun then sure why not.