Author Topic: Micro Map  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Leviathan

Micro Map
« on: November 26, 2005, 04:21:49 AM »
Whats a micro map?

Well micro means unit control, and maco means unit production. The two keys of RTS games and mastering them is part of mastering any RTS game.

My macro is clearly ownage, rite after units finished im building more from the vec facs cuz i have them hot keyed. Like vf.avi.

Anyway..

I wanna make a micro map, this is a multiplayer map for two players.

You just control units. My idea was there is a bunch of area's, or rounds.

Each area has units in for both players. And you fight each other, dur :P The idea is to improve your micro skills. Match up's would be things like a stickfoam and a rpg vs a few lasers. The match up's shouldnt be fair (same amout of ore in units for both players) genraly. They should be challanges for the player with the less units, but it has to be possible for them to win vs the other players units with good micro.

Also on some areas there will be terran intead of just open land. Like a bottleneck like in pie. Because you have to battle in these area's a lot its good to get good at it :)

I hope there will be a lot of stickfoams :)

The match up's should not be huge amount of units cuz that defetes the object of it realy. The bigest one ill do is one with tigers where the other player has a emp missile to use.

Rules are you cant control the units in the next round untill both players are ready to battle. Both players get to try each match up from either side. The winer is the one who wins most rounds.

So my question is, please suggest some match up's of units.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 08:23:37 AM by Leviathan »

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Micro Map
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 04:26:37 AM »
So a gametype where youre just utilizing units, not structures? That sounds like Joust to me. I like that idea. I was working on a map with a massive bottleneck in the middle: a long canyon that splits the map down the middle. The canyon is so narrow, units have to go thru single-file most of the time and high cliffs are accessible so the smart player would secure that area to shoot down at a tank column. This could be used for a gametype like this. I like the idea of a small group of units doing some run & gun while dodging lava flows and meteorites. It would certainly be fast-paced.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 04:27:33 AM by dm-horus »

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Micro Map
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 10:47:32 AM »
sounds like a good idea for training people who tend to forget about micromanaging their assaults, or who don't realise the benefit of having varied attacking units instead of just thor's lynxs (even though they rock)
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Leviathan

Micro Map
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 10:49:25 AM »
Please suggest some match up's of units.

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Micro Map
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 10:59:30 AM »
spiders + emps need to be in this.

using them effectively isn't a simple thing to do after all.

perhaps doing scorps, spiders and emp mounted units vs AOE weapons like acid cloud or sticky foam
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Micro Map
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 08:34:26 PM »
I think some proper uses of supernovas could be good. IF used right they can devestate an army or a base. Maybe a bit more practice with them?

Offline Leviathan

Micro Map
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 05:09:44 AM »
Yea i was thinking 2 supernova's and a few emps and 1 emp missile vs 10 tigers.

Any one have suggestions for match ups!?

Offline Starfox00000

Micro Map
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 02:57:28 AM »
3 laser lynx with increased speed vs 1 stickyfoam lynx with out increased speed.

3 rpg lynx with increased speed vs 1 thors lynx with out increased speed.

3 rpg lynx with increased speed vs 1 esg lynx with out increased speed.

for the above, you need to surround the lone unit

equal armies, equal distances from a long bottle neck and you have to wait and surround the end of the bottle neck to win.  (the problem is that if both ppl do what their supposed to nothing happnes)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Micro Map
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 10:33:25 AM »
3 emp, 6 spider  vs  10 railgun

I believe I actually had that situation in a game before...railguns took me out very fast...
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Shuffles

Micro Map
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 12:18:15 AM »
This is nothing new.  Take a look at Warcraft 3 and you will find many micro maps.  These were my favorite type of custom games and I've played many different versions of this same basic idea.

Typically, most of the time te round got steadily larger (more units to control).  Some rounds highlighted differences between units, while other emphasized specific uses of the same unit against each other.  Its good to have both.

In OP2 we will want to use mainly lynx I would think, as tehy are the fastest and can be micro'd more effectively that other units.  Microing tigers, other than telling them where to shoot, is basically useless as they have very low maneuovreability.  However the heavier tanks could be used as 'artillery' or a strongpoint.

Here are some rounds i can think of off-hand.
1. 4 Micro Lynx vs. 4 Micro Lynx

2. 5 Micro Lynx + 1 ESG vs. 5 Micro Lynx + 1 ESG

3. 2 EMP Lynx + 2 RPG Lynx + 2 Micro Lynx + 1 Spider vs. 2 EMP Lynx + 2 RPG Lynx + 2 Micro Lynx + 1 Spider

4. 8 Micro Lynx + 1 Supernova + 2 EMP Lynx vs. 8 Micro Lynx + 1 Supernova + 2 EMP Lynx

5. 5 Laser Lynx + 2 Starflare Lynx vs. 5 Laser Lynx + 2 Starflare Lynx

6. 4 Thor's Hammer Lynx + 1 Acid Cloud Pather vs. 4 Thor's Hammer Lynx + 1 Acid Cloud Pather

7. 2 Rail Gun Panther + 6 Laser Lynx + 1 EMP Lynx vs. 2 Rail Gun Panther + 6 Laser Lynx + 1 EMP Lynx

8. 6 EMP Tigers + 3 RPG Panthers + 2 Supernova Lynx vs. 2 Thors Hammer Tigers +  3 EMP Tigers + 1 Acid Cloud Tiger

9.  5 EMP Lynx + 1 RPG Panther + 3 Spiders vs. 8 Rail Gun Lynx

10. 7 ESG Lynx vs. 6 Acid Cloud Lynx + 2 EMP Lynx

11. 3 Acid Cloud Lynx  vs. 7 Microwave Lynx

12. 1 ESG Lynx + 2 EMP lynx vs. 6 Rail Gun Lynx

13. 3 Micro Lynx + 3 EMP Lynx + 2 Spiders vs. 3 Micro Lynx + 3 EMP Lynx + 2 Spiders

14. 5 RPG Tigers + 8 EMP Tigers + 2 ESG lynx vs.  13 Thors Hammer Panthers

15. 2 EMP Lynx + 7 RPG Lynx + 3 Spiders + 5 ESG Lynx vs. 2 Thors Hammer Tigers + 2 Thors Hammer Lynx + 1 EMP Panther

16. 8 RPG Panthers + 2 Starflare Lynx vs. 8 Rail Gun Panthers + 2 Starflare Lynx

17. 3 ESG Lynx + 7 Micro Lynx vs. 4 Rail Gun Lynx + 2 EMP Lynx + 1 Acid Cloud Panther

18. 3 Laser Lynx + 1 Rail Gun Lynx vs. 4 Microwave Lynx

19. 1 EMP Lynx + 2 RPG Lynx vs.  12 Starflare Lynx

20. 11 RPG Tigers + 3 EMP Tigers + 2 ESG Tigers + 6 EMP Lynx + 8 Spiders vs.  7 Rail Gun Tigers + 2 Thor's Hammer Tigers + 3 Acid Cloud Tigers +1 EMP Tiger

These are just some ideas.  Maybe to kickstart teh old noggin.  Some of these rounds may be unfair, I haven't really tested them, but of course they can be tweaked if its radically unfair.  Its kind of fun when one round is slightly unabalanced and the person with the slight disadvantage comes out on top because of better micro.  These micro games are very helpful i getting people to play attention to micromanagement, which is essential.  Its even good for pros to play against pros, as they can get even better.  Its also great fun to watch (So put in observer slots!)

The side swap, as said by Levi in his first post, is needed.  This tends to stop people from whining about it being unfair.

I know this topic is a little old, but now that it has been mentioned (and now that I've taken a look at and responded properly, which I'm usually too lazy to do) I'm very interested in this type of map to become a reality.  Perhaps if I get my act together and learn how to code in OP2, I could make something like this, but for now I leave it to Levi or any other ambitious coders.

If you are looking for ideas, I think I've provided a few. As usual I apoligize for the large amount of typos that are probably in here. O_o

EDIT:

I hope there will be a lot of stickfoams smile.gif

I didn't put any stickyfoam rounds.  this will have to remedied.

21.  1 RPG Lynx + 1 Stickyfoam Lynx vs. 6 Laser Lynx

22. 1 Stickyfoam Lynx + 1 ESG lynx + 1 EMP Lynx + 1 RPG Lynx vs.  3 EMP Lynx + 2 Micro Lynx + 1 RPG Lynx + 3 Spiders

23.  6 Microwave Lynx + 1 Stickyfoam Lynx vs. 6 Microwave Lynx + 1 Stickyfoam Lynx

24. 1 Stickyfoam Lynx + 1 EMP Lynx + 10 RPG Lynx vs. 6 EMP tigers + 3 Supernovas + 1 Micro Lynx

25. 1 Stickyfoam Tiger + 3 Micro Lynx vs. 1 Rail Gun Lynx + 7 Laser Lynx

Thats better.  Damn this would be a fun map!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 12:33:33 AM by Shuffles »

Offline Leviathan

Micro Map
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 07:51:03 AM »
Thanks Shuffles. StarCraft also has many micro maps.

Anyone wanna start making this map?

Or any more suggestions?