Poll

Should Scout Rushing, GP Rushing, and Tube Cutting, etc. be Considered Illegal Tactics?

Yes
7 (41.2%)
No
9 (52.9%)
I don't care; I'll do anything to win.
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: "Illegal" Tactics  (Read 4980 times)

Offline Sirbomber

"Illegal" Tactics
« on: June 29, 2007, 09:10:23 PM »
I know I forgot (or just ran out of space for) some things that some consider illegal while others consider fair.
Also, please post if you would want to play with somebody who voted for choice 3. Personally, I wouldn't.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Starfox00000

"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 09:25:17 PM »
Who voted No? I want to use those tactics on them.

Offline Sirbomber

"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:28:02 PM »
That's confidential[size=0]Beta[/size]
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 09:55:40 PM »
It was MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAHAHA and there is nothing you can do about it!!!

My evil plan worked perfectly!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHA (hows my evil laugh?)
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Sirbomber

"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 10:16:11 PM »
How about you try quoting my post? What appears to be a period at the end of the sentence is...

Offline Leviathan

"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 06:22:23 AM »
you can do whatever you like unless the players agree before the game that some things are baned.

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 07:00:14 AM »
everything should be "illegal" except tube cutting.
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Sl0vi

"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 11:12:57 AM »
Apparently most people here haven't experienced tube cutting at its worst. Trust me, in some cases there is absolutely nothing you can do to defend against it, it's especially bad in LR maps where you start close to an enemy opponent.

And yeah, you could always do the same to them, it's still a cheap and n00b tactic. And more importantly, it's no fun.

Later in game, when people actually have defenses, then it's your own fault if you let a earthworker sneak into your base.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Leviathan

"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 03:21:47 PM »
They are tactics.

Weather you think its cheap, cheese, newbie etc is matter of opinion.

Tatics that annoy people:
Scouts. Scout rush. Geting loads of scouts before your opponent has much military and self destructing them on buildings. Or even used mid-game for same effect. Get past army and self destruct on buildings.

Sticky foam rush on open maps. Get loads of stickyfoams and get past opponents army and quickly take out buildings or CC.

Building on other peoples mines, on Land rush open maps mostly.

Using Earthworkers to take out opponent's tube to disable their buildings. Normaly after you kill your opponents earthworker. This is common early game before they have military to stop this.

Guard posts. Building guard posts next to opponents buildings / good locations or rushing early with them before opponent has military.

EMP Missile. Using more than one spaceport normaly and spaming many missiles. On opponent mines / smelters is common and spam of one missile after another on armys etc. When you have a few spaceports and loads of ore you can spam a lot for a period of time. And missileing a army and moveing in with nova's and taking out the army.

Anymore?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 03:57:52 PM »
Yes, missile spamming agridomes until they starve to death.  ;)

I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone else mention that one. I've always wanted to try it out. It would have been especially good if you concealed what you were up to. You know, make it look like you were going for there smelters or vehicle factories, and just happened to "accidentally" nick their agridomes each time. I'm sure it be quite some time before they realized what was happening.

Another one which I tought might warrant a custom level: silos lose their storage when disabled (such as by EMP), but smelters only lose their storage when idled by their owner (or destroyed). Nobody really uses them in regular games, but I was thinknig a custom level could have no smelters or mines, and you just get truck loads that come in an unload at your silos. Then if you ever snuck some EMP lynx in, or missiled them if you're really cheap, you could make that person go broke really fast.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 06:04:01 PM »
You forgot placing adv labs in enemy bases Lev.

Or in a marked game, placing flares/novas in someone base before time.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline zanco

"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 09:59:31 PM »
Or in a marked game, placing flares/novas in someone base before time.

:o
I was afraid someone would touch my dearly loved StarFlares and SuperNovas.

Well, I think all those things people call Illegal is just stupid. In my opinion anything that is doable in the game (except hacking) is legal. People are just being very smart by thinking about all the different opportunities. This what makes humans humans.  
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 11:04:36 PM »
*Agrees with Zanco, n00b of the Flares  :blink:

:ph34r:  Ninja!

Offline Psudomorph

"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 06:51:53 AM »
It sounds like a lot of the illegal tactics (tube cutting, scout rush, GPs) could be prevented by setting an Attack Mark.

Just agree beforehand that there be no hostile actions at all until that mark.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 11:24:32 AM »
That is how all this bull s*** started.

AM set for 555 I believe and some one Sent units to anothers base knowing they would get there After the AM.  That seems legit to me.  First it was bending the rules now its blown out to this.  

There doesnt need to be any ILLEGAL TACTICS.  Just use common sence people you all f***ing have it USE IT.

Offline zanco

"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 11:27:55 AM »
Yes, Just like the idea slayer said: "Just use common sense"
and I will add  : "Open your mind to the possibilities"

We are humans, not dumb A.I.

Zanco` n00b of the flares.
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 11:53:58 AM »
and I will add  : "Open your mind to the possibilities"
To all the unfun possibilities?

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 03:14:21 PM »
My common sence has run away  :blink:

Anyone seen it btw  <_<  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 04:51:49 PM »
Want to stop the b****ing Then use it.

Offline Sirbomber

"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 07:01:55 PM »
Looking at what most people think, I have developed a new sig.

Offline zanco

"Illegal" Tactics
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 09:29:43 PM »
and I will add  : "Open your mind to the possibilities"
To all the unfun possibilities?
Well, this will depend on your definition of fun. And I believe this definition changes from person to person i.e. it is relative.
Even that unfun can be cool, you just have to look at it the right way.
For example, finding ways to make a game work on your console without the CD is "unfair" from the marketing prospective of the vendor, and fair to the hackers... etc... etc... (Please don't get use this example too much).

Now common sense will be that people lay out "their" rules before playing a game and anyone going against it should be punished or something like that. So no more b****ing after. Just make those clear, and don't try to make those rules official so that everyone HAS to use them.

In my opinion, no Rule, no restrictions RULEZ.

I refuse to play with Missile Whores, Scout Rushers, GP Rushers, Tube Cutters, Stackers, and Lab Bombers except under special circumstances. By starting a game with me as a player you agree to refrain from the use of the aformentioned tactics. Failure to adhere to these terms may result in me leaving the game with little or no prior warning.

Now, this is really nice example of rules. Only thing is it is not a prerequisite for playing games on OPU. The "Rule" should be anyone make up their own before their own game.
Maybe this should be called the "Bomber Rule" or something.

One last thing, Please stop the whining after you finish gaming, this is directed to EVERYONE, if you don't  want to lose and/or be an a$$, just uninstall OP2.

Jakob Bernouilli