Author Topic: Master Introduction Thread  (Read 117879 times)

Offline Flashy

Master Introduction Thread
« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »
Hi, there, I've read your post. I wondered, does it have to be a new map made by you?? Maybe it would just be enough to start Outpost 2 twice, host your own multiplayer game without disasters. You'd just have to make sure the other colony doesn't die off.
(I'm suggesting this because I don't remember any custom colony game without disasters)

If you really want to have your own map, it would require the Outpost 2 mapper to create a basic map and a compiler for a mission-dll to start and initialize the mission. Of course you can do that, but installing a compiler for that would be a little bit of a hassle.

For that matter, does anyone else still have their Outpost SDK ready who could quickly solve this problem? I still have mine on a different system.
Praise the mighty light towers!!!

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #201 on: April 16, 2013, 05:18:21 AM »
Welcome to the Outpost Universe!

Maps in Outpost 2 are made off two parts, the map file which describes the terrain and the dll file which is for placement of mining beacons, disasters, ai etc.). The mapper is mainly useful to create the map file. It can also be used to generate a source code file for the dll, which will have to be compiled in a compatible environment (i.e. with the SDK). You, as a non-programmer, should be able to create the map file and place mining beacons and units with the mapper. Once you did that I'll happily compile the dll for you.

Offline megagamer2010

« Reply #202 on: April 16, 2013, 01:42:44 PM »
Thanks for the responses all!

Flashy, thanks for your suggestion.  I have done this a couple of times, and can do this ok, but would rather not have to get two bases up and run all the time, it's a bit stressful...

TH300, I'll see what I can do in the mapper. I have worked with it a few times, but could not understand all that had to be done.  However, with what you have told me, I will see what I can do, and then send you a map file.

Once I have a completed Map, what would I do to be able to play it in game?

Also, I would enjoy playing this game with other people.  I don't personally care for 'Last Man Standing' types, but would play that.  With this game, leisure play is more fun to me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:45:00 PM by megagamer2010 »

Offline Flashy

« Reply #203 on: April 16, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
Well, if it helps, you don't actually have to create a new map file, you can just pick one of the old map files if it is too much for you. Someone with a working mission sdk could generate a dll file for you, which just has have a name that begins with a c  (in order to make the game list it as a "colony game" type) , is not longer than 7 characters (excluding the .dll file extension) and placed in your outpost 2 folder (along with the map file).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:24:13 PM by Flashy »

Offline megagamer2010

« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
Ok, I have made a map file for Outpost 2.  It is very simple and basic as far as the layout.  I have three files in the place where I saved the map file, one is the .map file, one is .map.dat, and the other is one that I made by 'Generating Code' in the OP2Mapper, it is .map.cpp.

(If y'all can help me understand what to do from this point, I might be able to do this myself...)

Offline Flashy

« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2013, 05:41:59 PM »
It has been a while since I've used the mapper, but as far as I know, the .dat file saves building/unit/beacon information exclusively for the mapper. The .cpp file is a c++ source file that contains aforementioned information ready for inclusion into a dll file. To do it yourself, you'd need some basic understanding of c++ programming and a little knowledge of the Outpost 2 software development kit. If you think it's worth the effort, you can look into sirbomber's helpful tutorials that explain OP2 programming (without explaining c++ basics) http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php?showtopic=4796

If you prefer to ask another helpful member of this forum, you'd just have to give the name of your map file and that .cpp file (assuming it contains the start building placements you wish for) and someone could probably do this part for you.

As a little sidenote, you may want to create a new topic for this, I'm sure the others don't mind, but it would take up less space in the introduction thread.

Offline TH300

« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »
If you can't do it yourself, put the map file and the cpp file into a zip archive and upload it in our file forum (under general interest).

Offline megagamer2010

« Reply #207 on: April 19, 2013, 07:25:53 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Flashy about moving this conversation to a different place in the forum, I thought that I ought to do that.

TH300, I am going to read thru the tutorials from SirBomber and go from there.  I will send u a msg and start a new topic once I've gone thru all that.  I'll start it in the Coding sub-forum since that is mainly the issue I have right now.

Offline SmilinJack

Re: Master Introduction Thread
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2014, 03:59:08 PM »
Hello,

I am a retired Lockheed Aeronautical Engineer.  My birthday is 3 Feb., 1941.

I really enjoyed playing these games when I could afford the time.

Now I've got the time and hope to play them a lot.

My wife and I live above the Columbia river in North Central Washington State.

I'll probably need a lot of help getting both of these games to run on my PC.

Look forward to hearing from many of you.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2014, 09:49:13 AM »
Welcome.

You know, I was looking at a job at Lockheed once, but one of the requirements was a "secret" level clearance, and I don't have the patience to deal with people "losing" the paperwork several times over, heh

Feel free to post questions if you get stuck trying to make it work.  Most of the people here tend to just lurk, but you will get help.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline TH300

« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2014, 05:04:31 AM »
Welcome SmilinJack!

Looks like Eddy is no longer the OPU Grandpa :D
It got calm at OPU, but you can still enjoy the games.

Offline SmilinJack

« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2014, 01:19:33 PM »
Thank You CK9,
A secret clearance was no problem for me.  When Lockheed offered me the job I was just out of the Navy where I had been serving in submarines.

They were very understanding and supportive.  I was just married and attending night school pursuing my first degree in engineering.

Somewhere I did post a question about getting Outpost 1.5 to work on my PC when it is in Windows Virtual XP mode.

Maybe, you know where I can post that question?

Thanks for the welcome and, in advance, for your suggestion.

Offline Drakmar

« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2014, 08:31:51 AM »
A lot of the veteran members here will remember me, but for the new ones, I'm Drakmar (more commonly known as James these days) and I've been around since the old NHCS days. I've recently rediscovered my deep love for the game and have gotten back into it. Even introduced a few of my co-workers and friends to the classic.

Blah, I hate doing those. From what I can see, the forums aren't quite as active as I remember them being in the past. Hopefully I just happened to return from my extended hiatus at one of our many lull periods. :)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: September 18, 2014, 08:58:37 AM »
Not sure about the Lull period the forums have been in a state of atrophy with the most activity being done by two people in the spam section. Im not even sure if the IRC is still running at this point.

Offline Flashy

« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2014, 01:38:44 PM »
I have to admit that Newterrancommandsite has drawn most of the attention left at Outpostuniverse. Even though it's currently a bit quit there, too. And as far as I know there hasn't been an OPU IRC channel for a fairly long time. NTCS does have a chat though. That's why anyone who wants to chat is there.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2014, 01:39:02 PM »
Yea, OPU is almost dead.  There are 3 main reasons I see for this:
  • Our site admins either have lost interest or are too busy with real world responsibilities
  • Our older members have a tendency to shoot down new members who try to start up new discussions because "we've already discussed that in full, here's the archive link"
  • Many people have become complacent with the idea that there is no point in trying to keep the game going anymore

CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline MSteele0

« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2015, 07:15:10 PM »
Hello All, I am formerly known as Peacemaker.

Just checking in to see how things are. I just downloaded the recent version and would like to test the netfix if anyone is up for it

Offline TH300

« Reply #217 on: February 11, 2015, 05:48:42 PM »
Hello MSteele0. Nice that you come back (although I don't remember a "Peacemaker". If you want to play games, you should join us on irc (#outpost2 on irc.quakenet.org). You'll need some patience, since many people there are idling most of the time.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2015, 07:40:29 PM »
Welcome back Peacemaker! Thanks for the games! Hope to see you around the forums and IRC :)

Offline unknownreaver

« Reply #219 on: July 09, 2015, 11:20:20 PM »
Hello and good evening from where I am at. My name is Unknownreaver, my birthday is 12/27/1991.

As for hobbies....sleeping, working, and doing what needs to be done.
Ask me a question and I will answer as best I can.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2015, 01:53:50 AM »
I'm tempted to say a young one, but that must mean I'm getting old.

Welcome.

Offline entropino

« Reply #221 on: September 08, 2015, 04:06:57 PM »
Hello, I am entropino, I am currently 18 but when I first played outpost 2 I was a lot younger(was no native speaker so I failed a lot). Maybe I will try to get into this game again, I watched an (unfinished) lp of the game (2) some time ago  and with that also got very interested in the story(which I seem to need to finish myself), maybe I will become competent enough to try multiplayer in the future. I like to play: Stronghold, Majesty and I want to play Conquest of Elysium 3 online once(I also want to try perimeter online). I like roguelikes, and lore/story heavy games(I am currently interested in king of dragon pass)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #222 on: September 09, 2015, 09:19:53 AM »
Welcome. How old were you when you first played Outpost 2?

Offline entropino

« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2015, 12:29:31 PM »
I think 7 or something like that.

Offline entropino

« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2015, 12:43:04 PM »

I was clearly to young, and I basically only build the things that were already in the construction yard, and entertained myself just watching the AI do it's thing.