Author Topic: Holes  (Read 4965 times)

Offline Brazilian Fan

Holes
« on: June 09, 2007, 08:49:55 AM »
There are numerous holes inside the OP/OP2 storyline. I think we should fill them, so to have a better background for other people to make theyr own stories based on the 'official' story. This can avoid some discussions.

Or we could go even farther and develop the whole Outpost Universe  :D

Problems:

1º) Decide if the original Outpost storyline will be a part of the 'official' storyline. Don't have to be it all, just some pieces (like the Vulcan's Hammer).

2º) Why didn't the Conestoga went to Mars?

3º) Did the humans left on Earth survive someway? If yes, how?

4º) Do alien life exists (even bacterial)?

5º) The original storyline said that it took nearly 100 years for them to reach New Terra. Because a probe took 20 years to clear the Solar System, I don't think the above time is correct.

This is all, for now.

Offline Sirbomber

Holes
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 09:31:31 AM »
1º) Decide if the original Outpost storyline will be a part of the 'official' storyline. Don't have to be it all, just some pieces (like the Vulcan's Hammer).

2º) Why didn't the Conestoga went to Mars?

3º) Did the humans left on Earth survive someway? If yes, how?

4º) Do alien life exists (even bacterial)?

5º) The original storyline said that it took nearly 100 years for them to reach New Terra. Because a probe took 20 years to clear the Solar System, I don't think the above time is correct.

This is all, for now.
1) No. Outpost 2 is a sequal in name only to Outpost 1.

2) They were hoping to find an Earth-like world.  They landed on New Terra because they were running out of supplies.

3) No. The Earth was completely destroyed.

4) No. We hate aliens.

5) Probes built today don't have the advanced propulsion systems designed for the Conestoga.

All you imagined "plot holes" just got owned.
No offense.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Holes
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 12:41:45 AM »
I really don't see why Mars wasn't selected. It seems like the most obvious choice to me.

If anything, I'd say an OP3 should just go to Mars. If the storyline for OP2 doesn't match up with OP1, then why should the storyline for OP3 match up with either of them either? Why not just make it a sequel in name only and just go to Mars. Seems like the heart to the Outpost series is the general setting and feel, not some earth shattering storyline. And I'm not saying that to make fun of the storyline or anything, it just doesn't seem like the details and continuity are all that important.

Offline Flameoftheabyss

Holes
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 03:51:41 AM »
Hmm, but going to Mars is a little cliché in science fiction.
Maybe instead of Earth exploding, maybe something happens to the Sun? Say it prematurely died or something.

Offline Sirbomber

Holes
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 07:30:27 AM »
I really don't see why Mars wasn't selected. It seems like the most obvious choice to me.
Because they were hoping to find a more habitable planet. When they found none, the selected New Terra as a last ditch effort to survive.

Or, perhaps the meteor fragments that missed Earth were on a collision course with Mars.

Then again, who's to say New Terra isn't Mars? Who's to say it isn't post-apocalyptic Earth? Axen's Home anyone?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Holes
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 09:28:30 AM »
In OP1, they didn't go to Mars because there was a lot of debris near it, making it an unsafe choice.

If anything, I'd say an OP3 should just go to Mars. If the storyline for OP2 doesn't match up with OP1, then why should the storyline for OP3 match up with either of them either? Why not just make it a sequel in name only and just go to Mars.
Because people want to make sequels to OP2?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 09:29:11 AM by Arklon »

Offline Psudomorph

Holes
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 11:48:03 AM »
Then again, who's to say New Terra isn't Mars? Who's to say it isn't post-apocalyptic Earth? Axen's Home anyone?
OH. MY. GOD.  :blink:
I can't believe I missed that! I read the name "Axen's home" dozens of times but never made the connection! Holy cow.

If the storyline for OP2 doesn't match up with OP1, then why should the storyline for OP3 match up with either of them either?
I think the reason the storylines don't match is that OP1 is an unfinished game, and the company just wanted to start over and try again.

Also, in OP1 the decision to leave the solar system is justified by the line "With other planetary impacts expected..." although it is never elaborated on in any way, and seems essentially meaningless to me, considering that ALL planets suffer meteor impacts on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 12:01:11 PM by Psudomorph »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Holes
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 11:58:21 AM »
OH. MY. GOD.  :blink:
I can't believe I missed that! I read the name "Axen's home" dozens of times but never made the connection! Holy cow.
Too bad Hooman didn't say that.

Offline Psudomorph

Holes
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 12:01:54 PM »
Too bad Hooman didn't say that.
Oops, fixed. Thank you.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Holes
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 06:23:56 PM »
What I feel is missing is the part about Earth being destroyed.

Was it just made inhabitable by the impact of the asteriod, or was it destroyed on impact ? If made inhabitable, mars would have been a good option for humanity. But if the earth broke into pieces the solarsystem would be a minefield of meteors for quite some time.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline zanco

Holes
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 07:10:18 PM »
Very interesting discussion. It will be helpful to anyone.
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Brazilian Fan

Holes
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 05:21:57 AM »
6º) Since both colonies had space technology, why don't space battles ever happen? Why didn't they thought: "Hey, let's destroy theyr Spaceship/Skydock/Sattelites"?

7º) Now, the tireless question: Who wins, Eden or Plymouth?

Highlander: Earth was made inhabitable. Probably only insects survived.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Holes
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 06:23:12 AM »
6º) Since both colonies had space technology, why don't space battles ever happen? Why didn't they thought: "Hey, let's destroy theyr Spaceship/Skydock/Sattelites"?

Highlander: Earth was made inhabitable. Probably only insects survived.
- Because both knew that extinction wasn't an option.

- If Earth's biosphere were only disrupted by Vulcan's Hammer, then there'd be no point in the Conestoga leaving Earth. They have stasis technology. Betaray thinks everyone would hide in every bomb shelter in the world in stasis cells.

Offline Sirbomber

Holes
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 07:23:35 AM »

6) Didn't Plymouth actually consider attacking Eden's starship (in the Plymouth story) but decided that setting Eden back wasn't worth endangering the species?

7) We've had this discussion before.  Eden wins.  Emma even admits that Eden has a better chance of winning in both stories.  Don't worry, they took Plymouth's children.

Offline Brazilian Fan

Holes
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 07:29:36 AM »
- If Earth's biosphere were only disrupted by Vulcan's Hammer, then there'd be no point in the Conestoga leaving Earth. They have stasis technology. Betaray thinks everyone would hide in every bomb shelter in the world in stasis cells.
I can't find any reference either in Outpost or Outpost 2 about Earth being destroyed. Besides, It would take a long time so Earth could support human life.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 07:32:37 AM by Brazilian Fan »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Holes
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 07:33:42 AM »
I can't find any reference either in Outpost or Outpost 2 about Earth being destroyed. Besides, It would take a long time so Earth could support human life.
I remember it saying in OP1 that, if Vulcan's Hammer were broken into 5 pieces (like it was supposed to be when the nuke hit it), it'd only disrupt the biosphere, but because it broke into two, it'd destroy the planet.

Offline Sirbomber

Holes
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 07:41:45 AM »
I can't find any reference either in Outpost or Outpost 2 about Earth being destroyed.
So a few meteor impacts that caused massive explosions and infernos that covered an entire continent aren't enough evidence for you?  Those probably made pretty big craters, and who's to say there weren't more coming?

Offline Brazilian Fan

Holes
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 08:11:20 AM »
Man, if you want to brake Earth in two pieces, you would need a bloody hell of a big meteor. Even Mars (2/3 of Earth's diameter) have some craters with a huge size, and is it broken? Even if the Moon hit Earth, it would not break in any pieces. The worst thing that can happen with a meteor strike is the sun being completed covered. Temperatures would rise. Plants would die. And bye bye oxygen.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Holes
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 09:18:16 AM »
Man, if you want to brake Earth in two pieces, you would need a bloody hell of a big meteor. Even Mars (2/3 of Earth's diameter) have some craters with a huge size, and is it broken? Even if the Moon hit Earth, it would not break in any pieces. The worst thing that can happen with a meteor strike is the sun being completed covered. Temperatures would rise. Plants would die. And bye bye oxygen.
Er, we're not talking about it being broken into pieces. Just that it'd become uninhabitable.

Offline Flameoftheabyss

Holes
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 08:14:01 AM »
In OP1, after you spend your first turn, go to the News, and you'll see news of Earth getting destroyed.

Offline Prometheus

Holes
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 03:17:57 AM »
In the OP1 Intro it says that other planetary impacts are expected.  This means that something has sent a lot of debris into the Inner Solar System leaving all the inner planets at risk.  Besides, it was assumed that another planet like Earth could be found around a nearby star.  Remember from OP1 that when you send out probes to scout out  nearby stars you get a probability that those systems contain a "habitable" planet.  It's not talking simply about terrestrial (rocky) planet but about Earth-like planets.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Holes
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 01:14:46 PM »
well, the Vulcan's Hammer Asteroid could be a link between the story lines.

In a sence, OP2 is a sequal in story as well.

1) Earth is destroyed by an asteroid (We can assume it is still Vulcan's Hammer based upon the intros (Op1 describes attempts to destroy it causing more fragments, Op2 talks about the last fragments hitting earth)).

2) two colonies are formed (in op1 the excuse is a better survival chance, in OP2, it's a difference of philosophy)

3) terraforming, 'nuff said

please, comment fully if you feel the urge to reply.  I'd like to hear your opinions and the basis around them.

CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Brazilian Fan

Holes
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 03:28:15 PM »
On Eden Novella (I think), Axen say something like: "We all know Emma that two colonies had better survival chance than one"

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Holes
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 04:24:08 PM »
and 3 better than 2...so yeah...
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

Holes
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2007, 07:41:04 AM »
But they created a political rift to get the colonists to separate so that each colony would be completely independant of the other. Of course, we all know why this was probably a bad idea (to ensure their survival at least. Great idea for the game itself).