Author Topic: Space Probes And Sattilites  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Space Probes And Sattilites
« on: April 19, 2007, 10:42:12 AM »
Weather Sat. - predicts movement of electrical storms, vortexes, and dust storms. Shows the predicted path of the previously described disasters.

Orbital Observer - Show the tactical map of the map your playing on (already launched)

Meteor Sat. - Fires at incoming meteorites by scanning the composition and speed of incoming objects. (Plymouth)

Arclight Sat. - Uses low powered laser technology to light up a small area of the map

Spy Sat. - Leeches onto other sat.s and draws information which it then sends to it's original colony

Matter Density Scanning Sat. - MDS Sat. - Scans the density of the planets crust to show new resource pokets and improve the yield of mines.

Got to cut it short.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »
Spy sats No one wanted spy sats

As for the rest the Edward Sat already does that in one package.

Edit By Zanco: And see, Combine Cruiser, you can pretty much scroll to your enemy base if you want to spy on him/her... no need for Satellite, if you do want to spy and have more details, you can just send scouts.
And yeah. Edward Satellite does all those.

Please, Play the game, Play OP2, read all the stuff. Be much more familiar with it :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 09:31:33 PM by zanco »

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 08:58:37 AM »
Weather Sat. - Predicts movement of electrical storms, vortexes, and dust storms. Shows the predicted path of the previously described disasters. This is not an early warning Sat. it is a weather path predicter! (Also it could be made so that it gives information on how strong the disaster is.... Level 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5)

Orbital Observer - Show the tactical map of the map your playing on (already launched)

Meteor Sat. - Fires at incoming meteorites by scanning the composition and speed of incoming objects. (Plymouth)

Arclight Sat. - Uses low powered laser technology to light up a small area of the map

Spy Sat. - Leeches onto an enemies Orbital Observer and draws information which it then sends to it's original colony thus showing vehicles that have their lights turned off. Also allows you to see the sat.s that the player has deployed. (So you know when night attacks will be less effective due to the fact they will have a spy sat)

Matter Density Scanning Sat. - MDS Sat. - Scans the density of the planets crust to show new resource pokets and improve the yield of mines. (Edward Sat. only shows what type of mine unscanned mines are.)(This shows new mines that were not indicated on the map, meaning you can see that they're there.) (New mine sites available and +20% Mine yield)

Redguard Sat. - Sends advanced terrain data to vehicles FURTHER improving their path selection and speeds up vehicles that have their lights turned off.
 (+15% speed to units with lights turned off)
This sattilite also adds the ability to change to a terrain map that highlights quake faults and volcanically active mountains. (Also it could be made so that it gives information on how strong the disaster is.... Levels 1 through 12, for quakes at least.)

Sentinel Sat. - Provides armed units with advanced targeting data allowing them to hit weak spots on a unit which increases their damage. (+10% damage)

PowerWell Sat. - Improves upon the solar sattilite (1 solar sat. produces 100 more power units.)

Science Sat. - If more than 1 lab is working on a particular subject this sat. will improve the uplink and data transfer rate thus increasing the research rate.
(+20% Research speed)

Solar Scanner Sat. - SoSc Sat. (? Uh... Is that bad?) - Scans the surface of the planet's star(s) and gives early warnings of potential solar flares, allowing for the preparation of the disaster (ex. turn off all solar reciever arrays and shut down nonessential structures to prevent an unexpected power shortage).
(80% accruate solar flare warning ability)

AGRS Sat. - Augmented Geological Radar System Sat. - Detects borewells and magma vents that are close to the surface but are not visible due to the fact they are covered and allows them to be used (orange mine marker = magma vents, green = borewells). (New magma vents and borewells usable on map)

Shepard Sat. - Civilian vehicles atuomatically flee when armed hostiles are approaching (optional). Improves armed vehicles formation standard (no clusters of packed vehicles, but in a broad loike formation (customizable).)

Command Sat. - Allows for the communication between two or more unlinked Command Centers. (Can now use Command Centers that aren't connected by a tube) (Simple Terms.... You can have secondary (independent) colonies.

Power Transfer Sat. - PT Sat. - Allows for the trade of power units. (Requires a special reciever to be active)

Messenger Sat. - Allows colonists to organize schecules and keep up to date on orders, making them more efficent. (+5% Overall colony efficency)

STAR SHIP PROJECT - Orion Sat. - A modern (for their time) version of the hubble space telescope that allows for the scanning of other solar systems for the determination of the starships launch destination.

Thses sattilites do different things or improve upon things already in the game!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 03:31:13 PM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline zanco

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 11:37:57 PM »
Apparently, I locked the topic too fast. I will leave it open for 2 days, and see where it gets.
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 02:19:50 AM »
I actually am interested in one thing: that meteor sat. Eden has an ground base to shoot em. And ply should have it. Do you think ply is happy when it is "raining comets"? :P ...
Hm..
MDS sattelite could be good... i guess.
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline zanco

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 12:33:14 PM »
Let me put it this way:

Plym != Eden Otherwise, redundancy.

2 Different colonies with different Technology to enhance diversity.

If (Plym == Eden) then OP2 = Boring.

It is a Dilemma. You choose between having Meteor Defense or EMP missile.

if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 02:09:50 PM »
Besides dont plymouth have more HP  due to Disaser Resistance.

I just Saw that Arch light sat.  I kinda like this but what part of the map do you really need to light up that you cant use a Scout or a Light tower.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:11:15 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 02:36:55 PM »
EDIT.... Relpy erased. Sort of.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 08:16:28 AM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 04:54:06 PM »
Dont need Sats that increase the damage of weapons we have research that maxs out the weapons.

Lighting up a small area seems pointless with a sat when you can send a cheap scout or build a light tower.

Most of these Sats wouldnt be needed as the Edward sat already performs these tasks and would be upgraded accordinly with new disasters.

Yes i did merge these two threads together :P.  Next time you should just edit your post.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 02:32:56 AM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 08:31:22 AM »
The Arclight can't be eliminated by ground units and can almost instantly point it's laser light to a new location and....... well it can be beter than scouts if used correctly when it comes to looking at a spot. I think that the area that this sat. lights up should have a radius of about 12 squares...... It's a suggestion though.

Also if you were to try to make the EDWARD Sat. have all of these abilities it would come out to be a blasted space station... size wise, you'd have to make the EDWARD Sat. in modules then but then what's the point of that if you could just make them separate sat.s and have the ability in the same number of lauches...

The Sentinel Sat. is simply realistic like todays army sat.s.
Fire at will!

Offline Tramis

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 10:17:55 AM »
How about a night-vision satellite which adds a button to the upper-right of the screen.  When this button is turned on, you can only view the map from directly above (because you're viewing from a satellite) but everything is much easier to see at night, and units with their lights off appear on the map.  They appear only when you're in nightvision mode.

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 10:35:46 AM »
Neg......... Wouldn't that just abolish a lot of tactics from OP3, also wouldn't that ruin the suprise of having the enemy pop out of the dark.
Fire at will!

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 08:46:15 AM »
You can't really upgrade the EDWARD sat. becasue if you did it would be so big you would have to launch it in sections an it would be about the size of a space station!

You can improve on improvements!
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 12:08:56 PM »
what are you talking about there is no way it would get that big.

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 08:15:59 AM »
I'm talking about the EDWARD sat. with all these sat.s.
Fire at will!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 02:44:26 PM »
You can't really upgrade the EDWARD sat. becasue if you did it would be so big you would have to launch it in sections an it would be about the size of a space station!
Why would they need to change the physical design of the Edward? All they'd have to do is update its software and reboot it or something...

Then they realize they accidentally installed Windows ME and then the fun really starts!  :evil laugh:

Edit: For a new satellite, we could have a Communications Satellite that gives you nation-wide coverage at unrealistically low rates, and if you launch it now you'll get 10,000 free bonus minutes!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 02:49:06 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 08:40:43 AM »
NEW IDEA:

I have an idea for two more sattilites!

Argus sat. - Increase vehicle Cap. by increaing bandwith for vehicle communications and control.

Tharsis sat. - Increases structure Cap. by increasing CC communications and control bandwith.
Fire at will!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 02:15:11 PM »
Who says OP3 will have unit/structure limits? Those were just arbitrarily set by Dynamix so OP2 wouldn't crash.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 03:36:47 PM »
Well, there are vehicle caps to control the gameplay (the build buttons disappearing when you have too many vehicles are an example of such cap). The game can easily support hundreds more but it is more of a population limit to prevent one player from having a 500:1 ratio of units sort of situation.

As far as the game crashing, it could have supported more than 1023 units easily (even on computers of that era, they probably could have numbered in the tens or hundreds of thousands of units without seeing any significant slowdown). I think the small limit was more of poor / flawed design than anything (the way the game keeps track of units just doesn't make logical sense -- it's part of the map tile information and there are only 11 or 12 bits for the index of the unit on a particular tile)
There is also a bug (or feature?) where some of the code assumes the limit is 1023 (even though the game could handle up to 2047 units without requiring major changes).

The 1023 limit is more or less just poor design (they set a limit that was quite low, more than enough for the Dynamix created missions but some of the missions that have been written today easily exceed it and the game stops working properly).

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 04:19:28 PM »
There is also a bug (or feature?) where some of the code assumes the limit is 1023 (even though the game could handle up to 2047 units without requiring major changes).
And I know we've asked this before, but, how easily could somebody [size=0](you)[/size] implement this change?

I'd do it myself if it was easy enough and I knew how.