Author Topic: Outpost New?  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Lysol

Outpost New?
« on: March 23, 2007, 11:27:21 PM »
Outpost was the game that got me into playing PC games...I LOVE IT.

I hope there is someone out there that is putting some energy to fix things and maybe update it.

God i remember Sierra teaseing me with the expansion packs that never happened....and gave development screenshots such as Terraforming changing the map...landing on planets with oceans.

AI upgrades to the Rebel colony so it doesnt build insane buildings.  

SETI!!! man i saw the picture of the SETI dish!  Oh and of course the missing videos found on the cd...Such as a Lawbot laying down the law and laying waste to a riot....or asteriod mining!  Space stations!!

Ugh!

Outpost 2 i feel is a cheap rip off RTS that is a stand alone game when compared to the possibilites that Outpost 1 has.

I would have to admit i think it would be cool if Outpost 1 had the option of being RTS or turn base...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 11:37:09 PM by Lysol »

Offline White Claw

Outpost New?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 03:51:16 PM »
I'd rather take the option to have the turns proceed at a set pace. So it would be pseudo RTS but you could still elect to do turn based. (Kinda like Colony X is set up.) I would be afraid of turning it into a more classic RTS because I think it would play a lot different then. Some of the micromanagement would have to be toned down.

I don't think OP2 is any kind of cheap rip off RTS. It's very original. But I also agree with you and there is so much that I like about OP1. I think I could even do without combat in OP2 in favor of more disasters and deeper research trees.

But that's just me...

I really want to build an OP type game, but I'm having serious issues with my Visual Studio and Windows Vista. I was trying to learn how to do windows programming when my old comp died. I got a new one but Vista and Dev Studio 6 don't get along.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 03:54:55 PM by White Claw »

Offline Lysol

Outpost New?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 03:04:27 AM »
I'd rather take the option to have the turns proceed at a set pace. So it would be pseudo RTS but you could still elect to do turn based. (Kinda like Colony X is set up.) I would be afraid of turning it into a more classic RTS because I think it would play a lot different then. Some of the micromanagement would have to be toned down.

I don't think OP2 is any kind of cheap rip off RTS. It's very original. But I also agree with you and there is so much that I like about OP1. I think I could even do without combat in OP2 in favor of more disasters and deeper research trees.

But that's just me...

I really want to build an OP type game, but I'm having serious issues with my Visual Studio and Windows Vista. I was trying to learn how to do windows programming when my old comp died. I got a new one but Vista and Dev Studio 6 don't get along.
Vista = crap!

Offline White Claw

Outpost New?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 09:27:54 AM »
Yeah well, it's either run an emulator under Vista or run an emulator under Linux. And I grew weary of trying to keep my Linux machine in order.

I hate Windows and Vista may be crap, but as I've not designed and programmed my own GUI that supports windows based games, I guess I have to take what I get.

Regardless, I got Dev Studio working and am trying to get back on track with my programming efforts. We'll see...

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Outpost New?
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 10:53:09 AM »
Vista = crap!
Sure is.
Yeah sure... if someone really want's to make another op1 game, he should really do it on W98 or XP. For Vista we have to wait...
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Lysol

Outpost New?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 02:47:18 AM »
some of the things i would like to see

-An intelligent AI for the Rebel colony that is capable of being self sufficent and has to follow the same game rules as the player

-Rebels dont surrender at 1000 Moral

-Increase the fluctuation of moral  Way way to easy to hit 1000

-Make Disasters hurt you.

-More planets!

-More Varity of planets!  Ocean planets!

- make all the tech and units functional.

you know what im talking about....almost a complete rewrite while trying to be as realistic as possible.

Offline White Claw

Outpost New?
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 07:25:53 PM »
I agree with most of those. I've even thought that the game universe (all the stars and planets) can be randomly generated whenever you want. So if you've played through a game universe several times, you can click on a button and get a new randomized set of stars/planets. I wouldn't want it to change every time though because that might get to confusing if you wanted to simply start over. I actually liked being able to chose your star and then your planet.

Although I suppose an easier, less time consuming method would be to allow you to simply select a planet type at the outset. But I think that might ruin the immersion feel to the game.

-The moral is way to easy to max out, even when you're not trying.
-Does need more disasters.
-I don't know about Ocean planets. If they were purely ocean, that would change the ingame graphics & dynamics too much. If it was only partially ocean, then I think the colonists would be less likely to simply stay cooped up inside their structures. Perhaps a way to get to this would be to make the terraform actually function.

Anyway, I'm figuring out how to do Visual programming and how to load, modify, and display BMP files. I need to figure out how to create and edit a double buffer but still be able to easily display it without having to create all of my own specialized rendering functions.

BTW: I also think the interface needs a revamp. It's too restrictive.

Offline Lysol

Outpost New?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 12:37:22 AM »
I agree with most of those. I've even thought that the game universe (all the stars and planets) can be randomly generated whenever you want. So if you've played through a game universe several times, you can click on a button and get a new randomized set of stars/planets. I wouldn't want it to change every time though because that might get to confusing if you wanted to simply start over. I actually liked being able to chose your star and then your planet.

Although I suppose an easier, less time consuming method would be to allow you to simply select a planet type at the outset. But I think that might ruin the immersion feel to the game.

-The moral is way to easy to max out, even when you're not trying.
-Does need more disasters.
-I don't know about Ocean planets. If they were purely ocean, that would change the ingame graphics & dynamics too much. If it was only partially ocean, then I think the colonists would be less likely to simply stay cooped up inside their structures. Perhaps a way to get to this would be to make the terraform actually function.

Anyway, I'm figuring out how to do Visual programming and how to load, modify, and display BMP files. I need to figure out how to create and edit a double buffer but still be able to easily display it without having to create all of my own specialized rendering functions.

BTW: I also think the interface needs a revamp. It's too restrictive.
Its to restrictive because it it half done.  Look at the beta screen shots of the game here...

http://www.ibiblio.org/GameBytes/issue18/flooks/outpost1.gif
http://www.ibiblio.org/GameBytes/issue18/flooks/outpost2.gif
http://www.ibiblio.org/GameBytes/issue18/flooks/outpost3.gif

http://www.brucebalfour.com/

BRUCE WHY HAVE THEE FORSAKEN US!

Offline White Claw

Outpost New?
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 06:13:22 PM »
I've not seen those screen shots. My chief complaint is the tile picker window, and that looks the same. Some of the other differences are definitely nice, but they don't look much less wieldy.

because it it half done
Unfortunately, this seems to be the mantra of OP1.

Offline Lysol

Outpost New?
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 11:22:24 PM »
I've not seen those screen shots. My chief complaint is the tile picker window, and that looks the same. Some of the other differences are definitely nice, but they don't look much less wieldy.

because it it half done
Unfortunately, this seems to be the mantra of OP1.
Yeah if we had a menu that would replace it...and the tiles be organised by construction support and industry tabs that would rock.

Offline White Claw

Outpost New?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 07:53:31 PM »
I think Binary Man had a similar idea for his Colony X game. He hasn't been around for a little while though. I did like the look of the two "buttons" that had industry/research looking graphics. Perhaps like you said, have a tabular design to more quickly thumb through, but more tabs like "residential", "industrial", "resource", etc...

Offline Falciform

Outpost New?
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 11:49:50 AM »
I went rummaging through the bmps on the cd I made from the downloadable file for Outpost 1.5 and I remember seeing bmps for buildings that I had never seen before.  Are there bmps for buildings that never made it into the game still floating around in there?

Offline White Claw

Outpost New?
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 08:29:13 PM »
I think there are a couple, though I can't think of what off hand. I'll have to take a look through my CD and see if I can find them again.

I still think the Residence Level 2 is the coolest looking structure.