Author Topic: Self Contained Environment  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Self Contained Environment
« on: March 06, 2007, 06:36:39 PM »
Base off of omagaalpha's idea..

A structure similar to the Park / Reservoir of OP 1.5 only this would be larger and on the surface. This structure would contain plants and a mock of earth soil with a stream like water way running through the middle of it. To detailed probably...

Anyhow this structure would GREATLY increase moral because your constructing a bit of (dare I say this) ............. beauty. GAG!!!!!!!! Also this structure would provide a small amount of food and air for the colonist not any of that recycled stuff that's been through the recycler 10K times. Man I feel like I'm gonna barf from typing this......
Fire at will!

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:48:56 PM »
Residences (and, for Eden, a few other structures, and for Plymouth, almost every structure) already have these, actually. Look at CEP.avi or CPP.avi.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 09:35:45 PM »
Yea if u look close u can see residences have all that inside them. It makes sense that as the colonists advance in tech they would simply make things self-contained. although its tempting to spread out colony facilities, nobody would do it in real life. having dozens of food containers on one side of the colony, water containers on another and then residences still farther away would make no sense. It real goal of logistics is to keep everything self-contained, in one modular unit. Consider this when coming up with game ideas.

The point of having ore storage is because smelters store ore. Usually you want smelters as close to mines as possible, making them a target. If someone destroys your smelters you have no ore and the game is over. Having ore storage is insurance that even if all your smelters are destroyed you would still have enough ore in reserve to recover. This makes no sense for civilian structures as they are cheap and numerous and the gain by having reserves for colonists that have no place to live (and are probably dead since their residences are destroyed) would be minimal.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:45:12 PM »
Plus I think they also used agridomes as a "park" to saunter through.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 05:04:55 AM »
and dont forget that the game simply omits these structures as a matter of gameplay. remember in the novella it talked about large open-air pavillions? you dont build those in the game but they are certainly there. just because it isnt obvious where they are doesnt mean we need to have a structure specifically for it just to be thorough.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 08:06:13 AM »
I'm not saying I think a park/res is a bad idea or that I'm against it. But I hardly use the "rec" facility as it is.

On the other hand, I really like doing population games too. Having an additional morale type of building might be nice. But it could be a lot of work for something that most people might not use.

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 08:52:29 AM »
Well it is something to thing about.
A. low power requirements
B. morale boost = better production
C. GOT TO GO!
Fire at will!